User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD 17MKE Wannabe

Hi Folks,

We've got our eyes on a 2023 17MKE that we would pull with a Lincoln Navigator 3.5 liter V6. This will be our first TT and want to make sure we get it right. The truck has a towing capacity of 8,600 lb and a tongue weight of 860 lb.

We've done a ton of reading and I'm confused/concerned about tongue weight and impact on the SUV payload. We have 1,367 lb available. With two people, gear and a dry tongue weight of 480 lb we're at 980 lb in the truck before loading the trailer.

How can I determine how much we can load in the trailer before the tongue weight drives past the payload limit? Is the Navigator a good fit for the 17MKE?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! Towing capacity is and can be a confusing thing. I'm sure you're tired of reading but we have a thread in the reference section that contains quite a few links that can help you understand the numbers and how to arrive at them.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to Tow Vehicles.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As you may have read in other threads on the forum, dry tongue weights are a pretty useless number. The 17MKE when loaded, will have a tongue weight around 760 lbs. (12% of GVWR). Read through the resources provided by @WhittleBurner above, get all the relevant numbers, and plug them in here:

https://changingears.com/weight-calc...ht-calculator/
    (Scroll down to the calculator)

I think you'll be pushing the limits of the Navigator. The problem with large SUVs like the Navigator is that, though they're on a fairly robust chassis, there's a lot of weight in extra body, seats and bling that a 1/2-ton pickup doesn't have.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might get close on payload but I think that trailer is a decent match for that truck. It definitely can be done, if you tend to pack heavy you may want to visit a scale and do some smart loading is all. The other info you have received is accurate.

The ‘how much can we load’ question is extremely dependent on where you load it. However, you can do the 12% math to get a ballpark of how much weight will be on your truck. Don’t forget that over 5000# you need a weight distributing hitch that adds another 50-90#.

Usually these ‘can I’ questions I say - since you asked, you already know you need to go bigger. But in this case, and having experience with that trailer, I think it can be done so long as you don’t plan to fill the expedition with gear too.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Whittleburner! I found the thread last night and found a worksheet that confirmed I was on the right track and should have a couple hundred pounds of payload leftover. Now it's time to pull the trigger and start negotiating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all! We are very light campers (coming out of tents) and will be cognizant of loading. We're actually going to the dealer this week with some friends who will represent trailer "cargo". They have a tongue scale and we can better understand the weight translation before signing the bottom-line.

If all goes well I'll update my profile to reflect a new GD TT toting member.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Went Early 2022 View Post
    Hi Folks,

We've got our eyes on a 2023 17MKE that we would pull with a Lincoln Navigator 3.5 liter V6. This will be our first TT and want to make sure we get it right. The truck has a towing capacity of 8,600 lb and a tongue weight of 860 lb.

We've done a ton of reading and I'm confused/concerned about tongue weight and impact on the SUV payload. We have 1,367 lb available. With two people, gear and a dry tongue weight of 480 lb we're at 980 lb in the truck before loading the trailer.

How can I determine how much we can load in the trailer before the tongue weight drives past the payload limit? Is the Navigator a good fit for the 17MKE?

Thanks in advance for any insight!
    Welcome to the forum!

I would check to see if that vehicle can withstand the rigors of weight distribution bars.

Many unibody vehicles recommend against their use as they don’t have the stiffness to withstand the forces of the spring bars.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I would check to see if that vehicle can withstand the rigors of weight distribution bars.

Many unibody vehicles recommend against their use as they don’t have the stiffness to withstand the forces of the spring bars.

Bill
    I have never seen this
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I have never seen this
    My niece’s husband ran into this when looking to tow with a VW Passat.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast