Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFF&KRN View Post
    First of all, I am glad everyone is OK.
    BUUUUUUUUUUT, I have to ask!
    Why if you know there is a potentially miserable destructable storm comming, why wouldn't you hook up and leave for a day or three to safe ground, then return. Just seems like a lot of unnecessarry concern. Besides, if if there was extensive damage, you then need to deal with insurance, replacement, if full time a place to stay etc.
    Please to all, stay safe and sound.
    JUst curious as I sit here comfortably in Arizona.
    I can only speak for us.... We have a house. Us, the camper, the cars, etc. are all under one roof. We've left before. There is plenty of time and warning to 'bug-out' before any rush of traffic or clogged roadways. We've done it at least 3 times in the 14 years we've been here. We've also delayed out arrival home after summer travels at least once when there was a threat. We went to Tampa once, and the FL Panhandle a few times. But you have to leave early.

For Nicole we assessed the strength and, this time, decided we could stay at home. Same thing for Ian. It's can be a tough decision sometimes - whether to leave or stay. It all depends on the strength and forecasted path. But our plan is always to leave. We prep the camper and can leave within an hour of our decision.

There are, however, folks who, no matter what - stay. That one has me scratching my head too. I saw a YouTube someone posted on some GD Facebook page and he was telling folks how to prep a camper for a hurricane. huh... the prep should be to leave when there is danger. His excuse was all the other campgrounds were full... really? I doubt that.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    We're in TTO right now (Oralndo RV Resort). Have our 320MKS all buttoned up outside but expecting the storm around 2am. Should be pull the slides in and head to a hotel? Winds are expected to be gusts up to 65ish? Or will be be good to leave the slides out and ride it out? It seams a lot of people are staying, but a lot left too.
    As someone who sat thru 2 tropical storms with 40 to 65 mph gusts, that were just predicteded as scattered Tstorms, I would say that if they are predicting any level of tropical storm and especially a hurricane no matter what category, it's time to go. Until you've laid there at night, unable to sleep because of the rocking, bouncing and the rain beating away at the sides you can't imagine how bad it is. Doesn't take much to turn a flat sided vehicle onto it's side and roll it over. Ask 80,000 lb big rigs.
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and....

Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Pull the slides in and, if you can, point the nose into the wind. 65 MPH winds MIGHT push your coach sideways. If your landing gear is on plastic levels, pull them and ground them directly on the ground. Even better, retract them during the storm so if your coach is pushed sideways, it won't bend them.

If you are staying in it, have a bug out bag with clothes, food, important papers, and medications, handy and ready to grab, by the door. Sleep in comfortable clothes so you can just leave it you need to.

Just basic precautions for any possible disaster.
    All of the above and Staying hooked to tow vehicle would probable prevent a broadside wind from pushing. I had that happen to my TT in a no rain microburst..NOT fun. The passing storm would have winds shifting direction at least 90 deg, worst case 180 deg, which = unpredictable
    Wally & Jane Mann
    2016 313RLTS, Titan Disc brakes
    2016 Ram 3500 TD, 4x4 SRW, Crewcab, Longbed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123