Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tote tanks

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob+Kath View Post
    Don't laugh, some of the pothole terrain I had to pull over would qualify! Assuming scale for the smaller tote wheels.

Yes, that was one of the better comments I have read. Timing is everything.
    Rob
    I'm a Jeeper, so it caught my funny bone.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a Barker 42 gallon tank, FLojet macerator, and a twist on waste valve. Tank stays in the bed of the truck. The cleanest way I've found is if I pump out the black tank, close the black valve, open the grey tank and pump enough to clear out the hose, close the grey, let it pump out the drain pipes, close the twist on waste valve, then flush the pump with fresh water. With this method, I only get a few tablespoons of the rinse water when I disconnect the macerator. Clean and easy. I've also installed a 12V SAE plug next to my Nautilus to plug the macerator in.
    2017 Solitude ST360RL
    Victron solar
    2005 Ram 3500 DRW
    Retired, Full time since 09/2021

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    I'm a Jeeper, so it caught my funny bone.
    Before my health started failing, I had a rock crawler. It was a blast. But I think I would have needed a long drop hitch to hook the tote to it.
    Upstate NY
    2022 Ford F150 with trailer tow package
    2022 Transcend Xplor 231rk
    2021 Shih Tzu Millie

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    We are looking at getting one of the tanks because Wife wants to go to a state park without sewer. How crazy is it to drag a 36 or 42 gallon by hand over gravel?

Also was thinking of going with a pump to pump it up into the truck but not sure if it is worth it.
    My wife and I decided from the start of RVing that we didn’t want the hassle of carrying around a portable blank tank. The problems associated with it are not worth the trouble IMHO. I’ve watched the typical guy make several round trips to the dump station. Seems to me a huge bother. Not only is it something else to carry, they are not easy to judge how full they get when transferring from the RV. Overflow is always a possibility, (yuck). It’s just not that difficult to secure stuff, pull the slides in, unhook utilities and take the RV for a trip to the dump station. Speaking for our own RV, we have a large enough black water tank that we can easily do five days. I have not gone longer then that, but calculate it would be good for seven days. Grey water is really our issue. If we are fruggle with doing dishes, that tank is good for four days. We carry two six gallon jugs to draw off some grey water if necessary. Each to their own of course, but getting it done all at once and refilling your fresh potable water at the same time, makes it worth breaking down for a trip to the dump station.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deerislandbrew View Post
    My wife and I decided from the start of RVing that we didn’t want the hassle of carrying around a portable blank tank. The problems associated with it are not worth the trouble IMHO. I’ve watched the typical guy make several round trips to the dump station. Seems to me a huge bother. Not only is it something else to carry, they are not easy to judge how full they get when transferring from the RV. Overflow is always a possibility, (yuck). It’s just not that difficult to secure stuff, pull the slides in, unhook utilities and take the RV for a trip to the dump station. Speaking for our own RV, we have a large enough black water tank that we can easily do five days. I have not gone longer then that, but calculate it would be good for seven days. Grey water is really our issue. If we are fruggle with doing dishes, that tank is good for four days. We carry two six gallon jugs to draw off some grey water if necessary. Each to their own of course, but getting it done all at once and refilling your fresh potable water at the same time, makes it worth breaking down for a trip to the dump station.
    No way is it easier to break down the RV and make a trip to the dump station, come back and reset everything up level the RV, etc... than it is to fill a tote tank once or twice and haul it to the dump station.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    No way is it easier to break down the RV and make a trip to the dump station, come back and reset everything up level the RV, etc... than it is to fill a tote tank once or twice and haul it to the dump station.
    Agreed. I couldn’t imagine doing this. I quite enjoy using the tote tank. Easy peasy
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with @deerislandbrew. I never want to have to use the portable for black tank. I bought a portable but will only use it for gray water. The way I plan trips, I have never had to use it over the past 5+ years. Actually stopped bringing it last year on trips. Also helps having a 380FL with 2 black tanks
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K87FR5C...7fc737124&th=1

This is the one I got in 11/18 and it's only $2 more than it was then. I've only used it for gray water, because with just my wife and myself we can go about 10 days with the black water. I was thinking that a smaller one would be better, because of the weight, but I don't have to fill it all the way up.
    I bought the 28 gallon Rhino a year ago and have been happy with it. We can go 6 days before filling it with black tank. Anything larger is too heavy to handle and would become a real excercise.

my two cents.
    Dave & Carol
    Eastern GTA, ON
    2022 Reflection 303RLS Fifth Wheel
    2017 GMC 2500 Crew Cab pick up (6.0 litre Gasser)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    I'm with @deerislandbrew. I never want to have to use the portable for black tank. I bought a portable but will only use it for gray water. The way I plan trips, I have never had to use it over the past 5+ years. Actually stopped bringing it last year on trips. Also helps having a 380FL with 2 black tanks
    No one "wants to" use it for the black tank but it's nice to have it when we're going to be boondocking for more than a week. With the four wheel tote there's no lifting it to get it to the dump station and no lifting to empty it at the dump station. Taking the RV to the dump station mid trip would involve the wife having to put away all of her little knick-knacks, coffee maker, toaster, toiletries, and me rolling up interior rugs, putting in 3 slideouts, untying the awnings and rolling them up, disconnecting electric, taking my flags down, uncovering the 5th wheel hitch, hooking up and probably a few more tasks. Then reverse all of that 1/2 hour later....not happening!
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 12-03-2022 at 01:48 PM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see pics of people boondocking in the middle of nowhere. Gorgeous of course. If no electric and no water and no sewer, then no dump station either. What do people do then? Curious minds.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast