User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the AMPlock LPCVR for 5th wheels. Heavy Duty. When it arrived I found the wedge was in the way, (I was using the Pullrite Slider Hitch). I called them back and they sent out the correct one ( has a slight cutout to fit the wedge) and I returned the improper one. I am extremely happy with its operation. I just wanted commercial grade security.
    2021 F250 XLT CCSB 6.2, 4.30, Iconic Silver, 2021 GD REFLECTION 295RL. PULLRITE SUPERGL. 2914
    2017 F250 Lariat CCSB 6.2 3.73, Caribou , 2013 COACHMEN FREEDOM EXPRESS 281RLDS
    2008 F150 XLT CCSB 5.4 3.55 Blue, 2008 STARCRAFT TT

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Ok…......

........I am surprised there is not a YouTube addressing this in a comparison.
    Check out Big Truck Big RV on YouTube. Search on the keyword lock. He has done a bunch of reviews on locks.

Personally if I was going to lock my 5th wheel it would be with a big chain around the wheels, locking them together. I'd probably go with a U-Bolt and some hexagonal chain.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Check out Big Truck Big RV on YouTube. Search on the keyword lock. He has done a bunch of reviews on locks.

Personally if I was going to lock my 5th wheel it would be with a big chain around the wheels, locking them together. I'd probably go with a U-Bolt and some hexagonal chain.
    Better put locks on the lugs too(even though those are easy to get off too). The wheels are easy to get off, that's why they get stolen all the time.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce M View Post
    I have to ask this though, Is 5th wheel theft a real issue.
    I mean at home no-one will ever be able to get to my fish wheel, alive anyway. But at the campsites I would think it would take one ballsy SOB to just drive in and hook up to a camper like they own it.
    Maybe just a naive question or assumption on my part, Has anyone here ever had or someone they know had a camper stolen.
    A lady I ride with had her toy hauler stolen out of her driveway last year...and we're in a small town. Don't remember if she had a lock. Out of a park I have not heard any first hand evidence, propane tanks yes, trailers no.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Ok…so….yes I know if a thief really wants it he can eventually get it. My goal is to deter him or at least slow him down as long as possible. You usually get what you pay for so having said that. Any opinions on which one will slow down a thief the longest?

AMPlock vs Ft. Knox vs War-Lok…or even a Road King or TriMax?

https://a.co/d/5WcwCzW

https://a.co/d/9YPgiXS

https://a.co/d/bVJR2EL

https://a.co/d/8mPgbxe

https://a.co/d/1C7RVWx

I am surprised there is not a YouTube addressing this in a comparison.
    Go with the Amplock, they’re made in Canada!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by downsc123 View Post
    That's the one I have and use. I learned the hard way on king pin locks, my old lock before getting this new one, was just a simple U with a shaft through the ends and the lock froze up in the winter. Yes the old one had a cup seal over the lock on the shaft but it still froze up. I had to end up getting a pneumatic cut off tool and cut the shaft off.
    This new one like in the link seems to be a lot better
    Last edited by Steven@147; 12-20-2022 at 06:03 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess the decision for a lock is based on where the 5th wheel is stored. If camping in a park with the slides out and everything hooked up, doubtful it would get stolen if you were away for a day. If stored in a non-secure location with slides in and ready to go, more likely. Wonder if just taking the battery out would do as much good or better than a lock? If the thieves don't have a spare charged battery, they aren't going to be able to adjust the legs to hitch it. Would make sense to leave the pin at a non-typical height so just can't hook up, and makes sense to put all legs down so difficult to move. I know with my hydraulic legs, truck battery by itself through the 7 pin will not allow the legs to move.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Guess the decision for a lock is based on where the 5th wheel is stored. If camping in a park with the slides out and everything hooked up, doubtful it would get stolen if you were away for a day. If stored in a non-secure location with slides in and ready to go, more likely. Wonder if just taking the battery out would do as much good or better than a lock? If the thieves don't have a spare charged battery, they aren't going to be able to adjust the legs to hitch it. Would make sense to leave the pin at a non-typical height so just can't hook up, and makes sense to put all legs down so difficult to move. I know with my hydraulic legs, truck battery by itself through the 7 pin will not allow the legs to move.
    All they need is a small genny to lift the legs. Several years ago my local dealer had several 5ers stolen in one night and they didn’t even have batteries installed.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Better put locks on the lugs too(even though those are easy to get off too). The wheels are easy to get off, that's why they get stolen all the time.

How about running a length of chain through the spokes of the wheel(s) and then wrap around springs with lock. Prevents trailer from being moved, and prevents wheels from being stolen.

One technique I've seen on utility trailers is to run a long rod through the spokes of the wheels, running from one side to the opposite side. A lock is placed in a welded on cup on one end of the rod. The problem with this on a typical RV trailer is the damage it will do if someone actually tries to move the trailer with the rod in place. The rod would stop movement of the wheels as it makes contact with the frame.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    gosh - wasn't really thinking about that.. wrap the chain around an axel and spring... I think we're getting nuts tying things down.. if they take the tires then at least the camper won't move...

oops... just saw @dryfly suggested the same.... now we have a consensus!!!! lol....
    Last edited by traveldawg; 12-20-2022 at 09:10 AM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast