Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front compartment wall

The rear wall in the pass-through in our 2022 280RS fifth wheel is easily removed with just five wood screws. The front wall between the pass-through and the front compartment, however, seems to be more permanent. I’m guessing that’s because the solar controller, battery disconnect, and bus bar are all mounted on that wall.

I would like to add a vent between the pass-through and front compartment after I install lithium batteries and seal up the battery box vent and opening.

Any suggestions on how to open that wall without destroying it or anything inside it? Is it hollow or a single piece of plywood?

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, that wall could very likely open to the propane manifold area not the basement.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @WhittleBurner (Marcy) is correct. Approximately 16 - 18" of the outboard front wall on either side of the basement is shared by the propane tank rack areas. The front wall is also steel (or at least it was in our Reflection 337) with MDF on top of it. The front compartment is not well insulated, either. My solution to that situation was to install heated batteries (the two newer BBs; the two older ones have the external heating pads on them). All the heating elements are thermostatically controlled and pretty low draw.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    @WhittleBurner (Marcy) is correct. Approximately 16 - 18" of the outboard front wall on either side of the basement is shared by the propane tank rack areas. The front wall is also steel (or at least it was in our Reflection 337) with MDF on top of it. The front compartment is not well insulated, either. My solution to that situation was to install heated batteries (the two newer BBs; the two older ones have the external heating pads on them). All the heating elements are thermostatically controlled and pretty low draw.

Rob
    Steel makes sense as that would provide structural support for the bedroom above.

How is the positive battery cable likely routed from the front compartment to the basement? Is it usually accessed by removing the coroplast on the bottom of the trailer?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasBR549 View Post
    Steel makes sense as that would provide structural support for the bedroom above.

How is the positive battery cable likely routed from the front compartment to the basement? Is it usually accessed by removing the coroplast on the bottom of the trailer?
    The easiest way to determine that is by removing the rear basement wall and looking to see where the wires come from going to the converter-charger and to the distribution panel. However, the last time I was in our basement (replacing the converter-charger and doing some other stuff), I believe the wiring came from under the basement floor (so it would be between the basement floor and the underbelly).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015