User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, it's not an either/or, but the combination that works best. But if I had to choose only one, it would be the black tank flush rather than fill-and-empty. But I also use full pressure from the campground water supply. I have used a bucket to dump directly down the toilet and that has worked well also.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Isn't there one at the kitchen sink as well? Or is it only on the black system?
    the sink vacuum breaker (no check valve) is just for the kitchen drain line . It lets air in the drain pipe to help the sink drain faster and by letting air in it DOES NOT pull air from the sink itself because that would also pull water out of the sink trap and allow smelly air to filter back in thru the sink .....same reason your toilet has a trap to hold water
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All Montana trailers don't have their vacuum breakers under the sink. Both of the Montana trailers I owned had the vacuum breaker mounted behind the wall about 2-3 feet above the floor. Just a FWIW.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm sure they all don't have it under the sink, but my montana 385 high country had it there and it was a 2020 model

to make it perfectly clear: the vacuum breaker we are talking about is for the BLACK TANK FLUSH system fresh water and not any tank vent which is usually on the roof.

Decaying feces produces gas and to stop it from coming up the toilet every time you flush or blowing your tank apart it vents on the roof
    Last edited by ForBruce; 01-07-2023 at 11:41 AM.
    2022 Solitude 378mbs-r with 3rd air and solar package, Flux Capacitor pending, Removed Nautilus and replaced with the Bruce Select-A-Matic

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I learned a few things with this thread. I was trying to understand why trailers needed vacuum breakers in the plumbing systems but you don't need them in house plumbing...now I know. Thanks all.

Or is one of you gonna tell me there is one in my house....lol
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Well I learned a few things with this thread. I was trying to understand why trailers needed vacuum breakers in the plumbing systems but you don't need them in house plumbing...now I know. Thanks all.

Or is one of you gonna tell me there is one in my house....lol
    Sometimes a home does have a device that works on the same principle as a vacuum breaker. It’s called a back flow preventor. It’s required by code on underground sprinkler systems and fire sprinkler systems. It prevents contamination of the public water supply. New homes have vacuum breakers built into the outside faucets, too.

There are situations where water in the public mains can create a suction of sorts that pulls water out of your home’s plumbing, or out of the hose that supplies your RV. A fire pumper truck hooked to a nearby fire hydrant is an example. To prevent that suction from pulling contaminated water from the black tank in your RV, or from the underground sprinklers into the drinking water main, vacuum breakers and backflow preventers are installed wherever there’s a source of contamination. There’s too much to explain thoroughly here.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Sometimes a home does have a device that works on the same principle as a vacuum breaker. It’s called a back flow preventor. It’s required by code on underground sprinkler systems and fire sprinkler systems. It prevents contamination of the public water supply. New homes have vacuum breakers built into the outside faucets, too.

There are situations where water in the public mains can create a suction of sorts that pulls water out of your home’s plumbing, or out of the hose that supplies your RV. A fire pumper truck hooked to a nearby fire hydrant is an example. To prevent that suction from pulling contaminated water from the black tank in your RV, or from the underground sprinklers into the drinking water main, vacuum breakers and backflow preventers are installed wherever there’s a source of contamination. There’s too much to explain thoroughly here.
    i thoroughly agree with the use of vacuum breakers . think if your neighbor decided not to use one and when the fire dept finished, your neighbors stagnant sprinkler water which was pulled back into the water main is now being pushed into you house and your drinking supply

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ForBruce View Post
    i thoroughly agree with the use of vacuum breakers . think if your neighbor decided not to use one and when the fire dept finished, your neighbors stagnant sprinkler water which was pulled back into the water main is now being pushed into you house and your drinking supply
    Worse yet, sucked up a water puddle covering an in-ground sprinkler head containing insecticide. Or from a hose with its end in a bucket of pool chlorine. It happens.
    2023 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
    2022 Grand Design Imagine 3100RD
    Blue Ox SwayPro WDH

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about this one..i have been to restaurants who had problems with their dishwasher and were not able to drain the water for over a week.
    The water looks like brown soup....the machine thank goodness have a vacuum breaker on the rinse line.... picture that being sucked back into your fresh water supply

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12