User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I know a lot of people diss absortion fridges here... But I have only one thing bad to say about our Norcold 2118. I wish they had installed quality fans when it was made. Ours started out good, then started blowing the fuse. After some diagnosis the fans were found to have failed. I bought some water repellant ones with a 50,000 hour rating. It is back to performing great. DW says it works better than our home fridge. I wonder how many never get diagnosed properly.
    Seriously. this is our 4th RV with a gas fridge, and each one has been better than the last. I am considering installing the optional ice maker in it.
    We have been using trays, and it freezes them fast.
    My propane fridge works fine from Texas to Colorado. I like the fact that I can leave it on while driving.

How many solar panels does it take to keep a 12V one running? Does the GD system include enough?
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer View Post
    My propane fridge works fine from Texas to Colorado. I like the fact that I can leave it on while driving.

How many solar panels does it take to keep a 12V one running? Does the GD system include enough?
    That will depend on the size of the fridge. I have looked at a few of the 8CF ones and the specs say 1.08 KWH a day. That would basically amount to one 100AH Battle Born battery a day.
    I have not seen any specs for larger fridges yet. I do not know what the current solar package from GD is. It would need to be able to produce 17 amps for 6 hours to replace the amps the fridge will use in a 24 hour period.
    Keep in mind the other draws that will occur as well.
    The math can be tweaked in differrent ways for other scenarios. But this is a basic calculation
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will depend on the size of the fridge. I have looked at a few of the 8CF ones and the specs say 1.08 KWH a day. That would basically amount to one 100AH Battle Born battery a day.
    I have not seen any specs for larger fridges yet. I do not know what the current solar package from GD is. It would need to be able to produce 17 amps for 6 hours to replace the amps the fridge will use in a 24 hour period.
    The math can be tweaked in differrent ways for other scenarios. But this is a basic calculation
    My 11cf Everchill uses approximately 50 watts while the compressor is running. If I had to guess I’d say it runs about 50% of the time, so 50-watts x 12-hours = 600 watt hours. These larger 20cf fridges will probably draw significantly more power than my 11cf. Momentum currently comes standard with one 330w panel and has the option for a 2nd 330w panel + 2,000w inverter. I think it’s time GD beefs up their solar/inverter offerings. Check out what KZ will be offering in their new Durangos and Venoms - although I think this option will be very pricey, all I can say is wow!

<<<Link removed>>>
    Last edited by xrated; 01-19-2023 at 11:46 AM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only thing I see on the GD site is the solar package for the Momentum which is a 300W panel and 2000W inverter
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Draining the battery.....that will depend on the battery AH capacity, whether it's a FLA or LiFePO, what the current draw is of the fridge, how often it runs, how often the door to the fridge is opened/closed. and of course the ambient temperatures both inside and outside of the trailer. On average, mine will consume approx. 144AH in a 24 hour day, and I have 302AH of LFP battery available.
    It sounds like the fridge alone would drain the battery in less than 3 days. Sounds like I'd need another solar panel and/or have to run my generator for a lot longer when we have to boondock near a ski area in the cloudy north.

I wonder if they are thinking of this kind of thing for their much smaller trailers and the Imagine line? If so, I'd be running the generator a lot more during cold weather camping in our northeastern cloudy climate.
    Last edited by Dadeo6472; 01-17-2023 at 08:56 AM.
    Doug, Patti and our puppy Leo are from upstate NY.
    Imagine 2019 XLS 18RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
    It sounds like the fridge alone would drain the battery in less than 3 days. Sounds like I'd need another solar panel and/or have to run my generator for a lot longer when we have to boondock near a ski area in the cloudy north.

I wonder if they are thinking of this kind of thing for their much smaller trailers and the Imagine line? If so, I'd be running the generator a lot more during cold weather camping in our northeastern cloudy climate.
    You have to remember though, my 12VDC fridge is a JC Refrigeration conversion of the Norcold 2118, the 18 cu. ft. model, and I have TWO 12V compressors on that unit. Also, I have no solar panels and don't intend to buy or use any for my camping needs. I think in my 6+ years of camping I've boondocked 2 times, and my Momentum has the 5500W onboard generator. 300AH is quite a lot of battery storage for a "normal" size 12V compressor fridge.....and only the one compressor instead of two. Plus you have solar to be able to help you along.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2023 Reflection 5th Wheel and wish I could change the on demand water heater to a traditional one. I haven´t had cold weather problems that others describe, but I have had warm weather issues. I am in Mexico for the winter and the inlet water pressure is low, but adequate, and the inlet water temperature is about 26 ºC. If I set the temperature controller to minimum (35 ºC) the water still gets too hot (45) on the minimum burn, then if I turn the cold tap on the hot water flow drops and the hot water temperature rises so I need more cold water for the shower, which further increases the hot water temperature. After 2 or 3 steps the hot water burner cuts off due to over temperature and now all I have is cold water. The other thing i don´t like about the on demand system is that about 20% of the time the burner doesn´t light and the controller is in an error mode.

I am very happy with the 12 volt fridge, it uses way less energy that the old style RV fridges.

Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ordered a 2023 Momentum 397 in December. My dealer just confirmed (while it is not what is on our order sheet) the unit will be built with an on-demand water heater and a 12v residential refrigerator. She showed me the correspondence from GD which suggested that the water heater compartment will be built in such a manner that we could install a traditional 12 gallon heater after delivery if we choose.
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A "regular" fridge (not absorption) is a good move. I'm not sure I know of anyone with a gas/electric fridge that's happy with it. And lord, if you ever open that thing up the wiring and design will make you cringe. It was one of the things that we paid more for and regretted in our previous unit.

On demand hot water, I agree with a few other posters, I'm not sure what problem we're trying to solve. I was very happy with my Suburban dual fuel. And if you put on both elements at once (yes, you can do that), it's pretty much endless hot water. Propane is a limited resource; our new rig has on demand hot water and I had to run out last night to get propane specifically for it. I mean, it is nice to have it instantly, but I'm not in that much of a hurry. We used to pull into a camp site, connect 50A, turn on the hot water heater and by the time we were settled, the water was hot.

Seems like a solution to a problem that wasn't much of a problem, IMHO. And it certainly introduces a problem of it's own, no gas, no hot water.
    2020 Grand Design 351M (sold)
    2022 Luxe 44FB
    2019 F450 KR w/Hensley BD5F

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Overtaxed View Post
    A "regular" fridge (not absorption) is a good move. I'm not sure I know of anyone with a gas/electric fridge that's happy with it. And lord, if you ever open that thing up the wiring and design will make you cringe. It was one of the things that we paid more for and regretted in our previous unit.

On demand hot water, I agree with a few other posters, I'm not sure what problem we're trying to solve. I was very happy with my Suburban dual fuel. And if you put on both elements at once (yes, you can do that), it's pretty much endless hot water. Propane is a limited resource; our new rig has on demand hot water and I had to run out last night to get propane specifically for it. I mean, it is nice to have it instantly, but I'm not in that much of a hurry. We used to pull into a camp site, connect 50A, turn on the hot water heater and by the time we were settled, the water was hot.

Seems like a solution to a problem that wasn't much of a problem, IMHO. And it certainly introduces a problem of it's own, no gas, no hot water.
    Well you sorta know me. I am happy with our 2118, and more importantly DW is thrilled. Produce lasts longer than in our sticks and bricks fridge! We actually bring some home after a 3 week boondocking trip in good shape. The only negative is the cheap muffin fans that did not last very long. 40.00 worth of fans with a 50,000 hour duty cycle rating fixed that.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast