User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Anyone Know How The Slides Are Built?

I'm making some changes to the side tables in the bed slide, and I'm trying to figure out how the walls are constructed... framed? Foam core laminate?

It would be nice if there was some framing in the walls to attach to, but I don't want to damage the wall just to find out what's inside.
    Roger, Stacy and the Sophie the fur kid

2017 Solitude 300GK
    2015 Chev 2500 Diesel (replaced)
    2020 F350 DRW

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's aluminum tube. Some stuffed, some not. Call GS CS and see if they can provide you a plan. If they have one for that age of coach, use it as a guide and not a rule. Also, the aluminum is very thin gauge and any screws
    s in it should be installed by hand.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you lookk at your rig early in the morning and it's cold out but warm in , you can often see the aluminum framework patterned on the exterior.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help.

@geotex1
    I called GD for another project a few years ago and I do have the construction plan for the main walls, but I wasn't able to reach anybody yesterday.

@WhittleBurner
    I have seen the map that condensation makes and I actually saved a picture of it so I can go back to it for future reference. Every piece of framing jumps right out! Good tip for everyone.

But the end walls of the slide boxes seem to be different. I have not seen any condensation clues and they also feel different. For example, if you push on the interior Luan on the main walls, sometimes you can feel the give between the framing members. But the ends of the slide boxes seem to be stiffer and more consistent across the entire surface.

Intuition tells me that it "feels" like a laminated sandwich with no real framing in it.

I'll keep trying to reach GD.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Roll With The Changes, the question is really because you have an older, original GD build, and might only have a partial depth slide(?). I can absolutely tell you there's framing in all of them for Solitude and Momentums after GD was bought. I also removed the "tables" out of our slide altogether and installed a chair rail of trim to hide the scars. Also rebuilt the bed box to support a Purple Hybrid and my 6'-5", 285# self. Our model also has a full depth bed slide, and all full depth boxes have framing beyond just perimeter..
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    @Roll With The Changes, the question is really because you have an older, original GD build, and might only have a partial depth slide(?). I can absolutely tell you there's framing in all of them for Solitude and Momentums after GD was bought. I also removed the "tables" out of our slide altogether and installed a chair rail of trim to hide the scars. Also rebuilt the bed box to support a Purple Hybrid and my 6'-5", 285# self. Our model also has a full depth bed slide, and all full depth boxes have framing beyond just perimeter..
    Thanks for the input. It sounds like we're on the same page with that space. The slide is 3ft deep so I would think that's full depth. With all that in mind, I could probably count on finding framing at the window sided. I agree, the tubing is very thin and if I could be confident of hitting it dead center, I might even put a toggle bolt or something inside the tube.

I took out the box and used the top as a wall hung shelf. With knee braces, it should be plenty strong to hold my phone and TV remote, but stronger is always better.

I've been putting this project off because I was afraid of what I would find in there, but I'm glad I did it. It opened up a huge amount of unusable space.