User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handling Propane Tanks

I'm 70 and I swear propane tanks are getting heavier. We have two 30lb tanks (one on each side), has anyone figured out an easy way to get the tanks in and out of their compartments. I was thinking of a sliding tray but can't find any for individual tanks that look sturdy enough. I would still have to lift the tank but that might be easier than trying to sit it back into the compartment. Don't suggest DW, she ain't up to it.
    2020 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 2021 Momentum 397TH, Kawasaki KRX 1000

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps invest in aluminum tanks. They are a bit lighter.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Dave A, I suggest looking for a local fabricator. GD's compartment is oddly sized, put it is possible to get slides and make trays to fit that should also allow the same tank holds to be used. I know this will sound ridiculous to some, but we know an 88 year-old, retired aeronautical engineer that is a full-timer. His coach has 40# tanks and he simply built his own little davit arm out of aluminum with hand crank winch with 4x assist that mounts by sliding into brackets above each opening! Work smarter, not harder is real when the years tick up!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    @Dave A, I suggest looking for a local fabricator. GD's compartment is oddly sized, put it is possible to get slides and make trays to fit that should also allow the same tank holds to be used. I know this will sound ridiculous to some, but we know an 88 year-old, retired aeronautical engineer that is a full-timer. His coach has 40# tanks and he simply built his own little davit arm out of aluminum with hand crank winch with 4x assist that mounts by sliding into brackets above each opening! Work smarter, not harder is real when the years tick up!
    I've been thinking about something like that. Trick is to make it light enough and handy enough to haul around and use. We'll see what kind of idea's come up. Thanks for the quick reply.
    2020 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 2021 Momentum 397TH, Kawasaki KRX 1000

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I've been thinking about something like that. Trick is to make it light enough and handy enough to haul around and use. We'll see what kind of idea's come up. Thanks for the quick reply.
    The davit and winch are 13 pounds together. He made it so the winch is quick on/off but says he's never had to separate them.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A composite tank will shed some weight. Not much but some
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload