Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imagine 2400BH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Duke View Post
    My tongue weight is at 740#, so it can be a little on the light side. Some water in the freshwater tank will help with that.

Have fun and enjoy the rig. We love our GD.
    Thank you. Why would you say that is on the light side? The GVWR for the 2400BH is 7850 lbs. Are you really fully loaded to 7850? I'm just wondering if your TW of 740# is more than 10% of your fully loaded weight? And have you experienced any sway at that tongue weight? I've towed mine about 1000 miles last year since getting it and have not had any sway issues even with semi's passing me. Just curious with your experience and whether you've taken yours through any mountains and how it handled.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmurdockrv View Post
    Why have a WD hitch at all if you have the right tongue weight? Because we both know that tongue weight is not the only factor. If you have the Husky Center Line TS then in addition to the WD it also has sway resistance built in as advertised by Husky themselves which is supporting my point that sway is not simply eliminated by adding tongue weight. It most definitively is the most obvious first step one should check to alleviate it. But a WD hitch with some sort of anti-sway feature that creates resistance to side to side motion is key as you've demonstrated by using such a hitch yourself. And I have just chosen a different product that tackles that from a different point of physics which I feel meets my safety goals and makes sense to me. I'm glad that Husky's product has worked for you and I might very well have had no issues with it either but who really knows. Thank you for your input.
    I need to distribute weight. That is why I have the hitch
    The fact that the manufacturer claims it has “sway control” means nothing
    It was the hitch the dealer I bought from uses and I did not choose it
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! I have a ProPride and love it! You won't be sorry you spent a bit more.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmurdockrv View Post
    Thank you. Why would you say that is on the light side? The GVWR for the 2400BH is 7850 lbs. Are you really fully loaded to 7850? I'm just wondering if your TW of 740# is more than 10% of your fully loaded weight? And have you experienced any sway at that tongue weight? I've towed mine about 1000 miles last year since getting it and have not had any sway issues even with semi's passing me. Just curious with your experience and whether you've taken yours through any mountains and how it handled.
    Numbers from the CAT scale. Tongue weight = (2980+3620) - 5860 = 740 lbs., which is about 12%. When I first set up my hitch I did have some issues driving to SD with sway. As you can see, I'm no where near 7495 GVWR for the TT. Now I do try to get more weight on the tongue (water in fresh water tank, pass through loading, etc.), as it does seem to help a lot. I'm using a R6 Recurve with 800# bars (as recommended by Camco).

F150 By Itself
    Steering Axle - 3260 lb
    Drive Axle - 2600 lb

F150 and Trailer (No WDH)
    Steering Axle - 2980 lb
    Drive Axle - 3620 lb
    Trailer Axle - 6060 lb

F150 and Trailer w/WDH
    Steering Axle - 3120 lb
    Drive Axle - 3380 lb
    Trailer Axle - 6160 lb
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2400
    2019 F150 XLT 4x4, 3.5 EcoBoost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In seeing your reply I realized that I got the GVWR of 7800 that I stated off of GD website as linked below but you are correct as my TT sticker shows a weight rating of 7495 lbs as well. In addition, looking at your numbers we see your tongue weight drops from 740 lbs to 640 lbs once engage the WDH as 100 lbs of that tongue weight it transferred back onto the TT axles. Very interesting ... thanks for sharing that information.
    https://www.granddesignrv.com/travel...imagine/2400bh
    Last edited by dmurdockrv; 02-07-2023 at 09:34 AM.
    2022 Imagine 2400BH w/ ProPride 3P hitch 1000 lb WD
    2021 RAM 1500 4x4 BigHorn w/ 3.92 rear axle gear ratio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12