User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    I dumped my 2019 Ram with the 6.4 because they have actual problems. We have numerous at work that are dead. I moved to the 7.3 and am very happy. Coming up on 1 year and it is a solid engine. My mechanics at work said that they have not seen any issues with them.
    Been reading more about this this week as I research trucks and it sounds like this failure is very rare in SuperDuties. Almost all of them are big box trucks or RVs, which means more load on the engine from the get-go. Kindof hard to break in an engine in a heavy school bus per the manufacturer's suggestions. Could be that proper break-in is very important in this engine.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uwskier View Post
    Been reading more about this this week as I research trucks and it sounds like this failure is very rare in SuperDuties. Almost all of them are big box trucks or RVs, which means more load on the engine from the get-go. Kindof hard to break in an engine in a heavy school bus per the manufacturer's suggestions. Could be that proper break-in is very important in this engine.
    I've also read speculation that the failed engines seem to be on vehicles that have high idle times. Most engines run lower oil pressure at idle and that could lead to problems. But as I say, it's pure speculation, just like all the information I've read.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They thought that the 6.4 was failing because of idle times and that it had to do with the way that the oil splashed onto the top of the motor but we have several trucks that don’t have high idle times that are failing as well. It’s a shame because my company is replacing them with Jasper motors. I’m glad I switched to Ford at this point. I still miss the interior of the Ram though. If I ever went to a diesel I would get a Ram again. Or if they move on from the 6.4 and it’s lifter issues.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talking with a buddy of mine who's big into the motor home industry and whom I trust implicitly, 7.3s are starting to come off warranty and have issues in units that are 3 years old. Ford saying $30k to replace a 7.3 in a motor home. Ouch. Early thoughts are it's engines that idle a lot with the issue but that's just a hypothesis I've found on the innerwebs.

Either way, I'm in no hurry so I'm going to wait and see.

Here is a crate long block 7.3L. Nothing near $30

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...7-73/make/ford
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    Here is a crate long block 7.3L. Nothing near $30

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/f...7-73/make/ford
    Yeah, not sure where he got that number. New long block from Ford directly is just under 10k. Another 10k in labor maybe.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    talking with a buddy of mine who's big into the motor home industry and whom I trust implicitly, 7.3s are starting to come off warranty and have issues in units that are 3 years old. Ford saying $30k to replace a 7.3 in a motor home. Ouch. Early thoughts are it's engines that idle a lot with the issue but that's just a hypothesis I've found on the innerwebs.

Either way, I'm in no hurry so I'm going to wait and see.
    The powertrain warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles so this information seems suspect, along with the $$$!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, not sure where he got that number. New long block from Ford directly is just under 10k. Another 10k in labor maybe.
    10k labor to swap out a motor is also super high...maybe 2k?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234