User Tag List

Thread: My roof leaks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question My roof leaks

I live in Colorado Springs CO. We have a Grand Design Imagine 2600 RB, purchased new in April. 2022. This is our first RV experience. We are living in RV full-time and stationary parked in a nice mobile home park. This past December 2022 we had our first good snow of 3 inches and temperatures from -2 to 9 % this was 2 days of single digit temperatures. So our roof leaks. I have water in the front bedroom on the kitchen side. I place a towel down every day and towel is totally soaked. On Saturday 02/03 My certified RV technician has on the roof sealed cocked all seams, seals, and around all vents. We had 3 days of temperatures over 50%. Now 10 days later we still have water seeping along the bedroom wall with soaked towels. Has anybody else has had problems with leaking roof.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the roof was checked it likely isn’t the roof
    Maybe a window or internal plumbing leak

Better find it quick whatever it is
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From your description, I'd have to agree with @NB Canada and say that it doesn't sound like the roof is the issue. If it were, you'd likely find evidence of water (stains, etc.) on the ceiling and higher up on the walls. Being that the water is on the kitchen side, I would be suspicious of a leak in the kitchen that's seeping along the floor/wall interface to the bedrom. Have you thoroughly inspected under the kitchen sink and at the base on both sides of the wall between the kitchen and bedroom? In addition, I've seen enough condensation to wet carpets in a rig with single pane windows in very low temps if extreme humidity control measures are not taken. We have a large compressor type dehumidifier that we use when the humidity is up and it's not warm enough to use the ACs (they are great dehumidifiers). Do you have a thermometer/hygrometer to monitor the inside relative humidity?

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 02-15-2023 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Fix typos
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either the roof did leak and the water was in the space between the roof decking and the ceiling panels, or, you have a window leaking.

Could go either way at this point.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, roof leaks even on new trailer are not that uncommon. They just don't use the greatest stuff on roofs and usually not enough to properly cover the where the trim meets the membrane. Often you can look at the trim and gutters and see a crack in the caulk running along that joint somewhere up there. Our 22 MLE leaked after the first rain upon bring it home. A good caulking will patch it up. But I agree with others...assuming the tech did patch up all the areas that might have needed it, then you have to start looking at the windows or interior for the source of the leak. Generally you would notice water where the ceiling meets the wall if it is the roof, on the wall where it meets the window if it is the window, or on the floor if it is a water line. Unless as Rob suggested, it's a terrible condensation issue given the cold weather. I'd call the tech back if you can't find it; that is not something to put off. Water is the nemesis of RVs.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check the seal above and behind the butt joint in the awning gutter rail... this is a vulnerable spot for water getting in behind and down the inside of the wall. Also, check for secure attachment of the awning gutter rail to the sidewall... the (attachment) screws tend to pull out leaving a water access point through the screw holes.

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    Lake Huron Shoreline, SW Ontario
    2021 Imagine 2400BH (DeBunked), Blue Ox Swaypro
    2017 Silverado 1500 CC 5.3 Tow Pkg, RAS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenDiannaOates View Post
    I live in Colorado Springs CO. We have a Grand Design Imagine 2600 RB, purchased new in April. 2022. This is our first RV experience. We are living in RV full-time and stationary parked in a nice mobile home park. This past December 2022 we had our first good snow of 3 inches and temperatures from -2 to 9 % this was 2 days of single digit temperatures. So our roof leaks. I have water in the front bedroom on the kitchen side. I place a towel down every day and towel is totally soaked. On Saturday 02/03 My certified RV technician has on the roof sealed cocked all seams, seals, and around all vents. We had 3 days of temperatures over 50%. Now 10 days later we still have water seeping along the bedroom wall with soaked towels. Has anybody else has had problems with leaking roof.
    You seem sure it is a roof leak, but could a pipe have frozen and thawed and water is now traveling along the underside until it reaches the side wall?
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to go with potential condensation. Cold walls and warm interior.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds very unfortunately. Stay safe and hope you get it resolved sooner than later. The good thing is that raining season is coming to an end (well at least here in the west coast).

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When our 2600RB was new, the trap under the bathroom sink leaked. As others have stated, check that first. The water pump is also in the area you mentioned. There's lots of plumbing around there that could be the source of your water.

Also, if it's cold and you close up all your roof vents, you will get condensation on the inside for certain. I've seen that on cold nights even here in Arizona.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)