User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy View Post
    I hardwired a Progressive Industries 50 amp into my GD 303. Placed it under neath the cabinet where the power chord comes in, so it wasn't too bad to connect. I can bypass it with a switch.

This is my second surge protector. I had the same in my Jayco and several times it has tripped on low voltage on one of the legs.
    How did you do the switch installation and location?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Something else to ponder

I chose a Hughes watchdog portable unit
    Imo it is easier also I prefer any electrical issues with a pedestal to happen at the pedestal not inside my coach
    Also if the unit fails overriding it is difficult

I can’t see any advantage of a hard wired unit

Ymmv
    I have a Camco portable unit but got the Hughes hard wired unit so I don't have to worry about it growing legs and wondering off when I'm not around. I'm guessing that is pretty rare but it will be one less thing to worry about. But to your point if the unit fails, I agree it would be real easy to by pass it at the pedestal. I'm considering installing a switch to bypass it if needed but we'll see.
    2022 Imagine 2400BH w/ ProPride 3P hitch 1000 lb WD
    2021 RAM 1500 4x4 BigHorn w/ 3.92 rear axle gear ratio

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmurdockrv View Post
    I have a Camco portable unit but got the Hughes hard wired unit so I don't have to worry about it growing legs and wondering off when I'm not around. I'm guessing that is pretty rare but it will be one less thing to worry about. But to your point if the unit fails, I agree it would be real easy to by pass it at the pedestal. I'm considering installing a switch to bypass it if needed but we'll see.
    Quite easy to secure it at the pedestal but I think it growing legs is internet lore. I can’t imagine it happens
    Perhaps but imo highly unlikely
    The type of people that commit theft unlikely care or know anything about an EMS. More apt to steal your grill
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    How did you do the switch installation and location?
    The Progressive Industries 50 amp comes with a LED read out and bypass switch. I have tried the bypass and it does work.
    Scott and Brenda
    2019 F250 6.2
    2022 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a link to an interesting video that shows some of the pros and cons to hardwired vs pedistal EMS,
    https://youtu.be/l69qKK6_jeI
    Cambridge, Ontario, Canada Eh!
    2018 303RLS
    2008 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_303RLS View Post
    Here's a link to an interesting video that shows some of the pros and cons to hardwired vs pedestal EMS,
    https://youtu.be/l69qKK6_jeI
    That video gave several good legitimate reasons to do a hard wired EMS. Voltage drop being the main one. I also like the idea that I don't have to worry about someone stealing mine at the pedestal regardless of how unlikely the event is to occur. Like most thefts you don't think it will happen to you and don't know many others who it's happened to until it does then your kicking yourself. I know you can chain the portables to the pedestal but it's not hard to defeat that method and I don't want to carry a chain and lock around. Plus one last thing to store and makes renting the TT out that much simpler with less details to go over. I don't rent my Imagine but the thought has crossed my mind.
    2022 Imagine 2400BH w/ ProPride 3P hitch 1000 lb WD
    2021 RAM 1500 4x4 BigHorn w/ 3.92 rear axle gear ratio

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having their plugged in EMS being stolen. There may be good reasons for hard wiring, but theft really isn't one of them.

Save your worrying for things that might actually happen.

After viewing the video, it appears that the voltage drop is not a concern with the 50 amp cord, so that eliminates the main issue if you use a 50 amp cord, which I do.
    Last edited by Hoopy Frood; 02-18-2023 at 08:25 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I don't think I've ever heard of anyone having their plugged in EMS being stolen. There may be good reasons for hard wiring, but theft really isn't one of them.

Save your worrying for things that might actually happen.
    Exactly. I almost bet it has never happened
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joelumberjack View Post
    Has anyone installed (DIY) a Hughes Watchdog surge protector in an Imagine 2600rb?

I am wondering if it's easily done or if it's better to have it installed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

~Alan
    I think the question to ask yourself is how comfortable you are working with electricity. The install is pretty straightforward but sometimes the extra peace of mind is worth the cost of install.

I went with the 50 amp Progressive with remote switch/monitor and have been very happy with it. As to the debate over hardwired, I had a portable EMS on my first 5th wheel that failed to detect a burnt connection between the EMS and power cord. In my mind, the connections will always be weak links in the system and I want the EMS on the trailer side of all weak links.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder
    YouTube Chanel

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, Alan! I installed a Progressive SP as a hardwired unit. I checked to ensure there was enough slack in the existing cables so I could wire it correctly. I had to remove some cable hold-downs to get the slack, then replace them afterward. I needed more slack than expected, as the wires were very stiff. Some awkward angles to work at but the install was very doable. 3 connections in and out. I imagine the Hughes Watchdog would be similar.

I went with the hardwired version after having 2 prior plugin units fail due to water damage. (It rains a lot here in WA.) Also, I wanted to keep my setup and breakdown as uncomplicated as possible.

Good luck with the installation!

Bob
    Bob & Maddy + Zoey
    2022 Solitude 2930RL-R, 900Ah Li, 1520W solar
    2022 Ram 3500 Limited, 8' bed, 6.7 Cummins HO Turbo, 6-speed Aisin transmission

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast