User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Campground Reservation Fees?

We've been planning our 2023 camping trips. To my surprise I am finding that most private campgrounds are requiring a 50% or more nonrefundable deposit of the total fee. Is this the new norm? We have usually given one night's deposit to hold our reservation. Sometimes things happen to cause a cancellation. This big of a penalty seems unfair and more than likely the campground rents out the site. Is it greed or they trying to make up losses?
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have seen that. It runs the gamut. We have had to pay up front, leave the card on file and then pay at arrival too.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    We've been planning our 2023 camping trips. To my surprise I am finding that most private campgrounds are requiring a 50% or more nonrefundable deposit of the total fee. Is this the new norm? We have usually given one night's deposit to hold our reservation. Sometimes things happen to cause a cancellation. This big of a penalty seems unfair and more than likely the campground rents out the site. Is it greed or they trying to make up losses?
    It could be either one, or both. The most I've ever paid up front is for one night on multi night stays.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll guess it is caused by people who don't keep a reservation, book sites and later either cancel on short notice, don't show up, or try to change the dates.

For sure it might be greedy campground but I'd like to think that policy was driven by something other than greed to begin with.

I've recently been making my summer/fall reservations and a lot of campgrounds are taking all the money up front although they seem to have fair cancellation policies. Although the closer you cancel/change to the arrival date then the more they charge.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t have an issue with it
    If you are sure you are going I don’t see an issue in paying

I stay at federal parks and they require all the payment in advance
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me give you the example of it being the new norm. Nikki and I have been camping at the same campground, same time of year every year, same length of stay. In fact, have been camping there so long that we were there when the owners had their daughter and now she's a college freshman. Every worker knows my wife and I. Anyway, when there last, the campground was oddly empty when it's always been better than 85% full... We always pay our 1 night deposit for the following season when we check-in for the current stay, and we stay 12 days each visit. I was shocked when the 1 night stay that's been sufficient for 20 years now had to be a full week for our length of stay!!! When I saw the owners, I had to ask. While they were apologetic and thanked us multiple times for our loyalty, they had to change their policy because last season they were booked full turning folks away, but when the rubber met the road their average occupancy was only 53% when they have been >78% year over year prior! That's right, that magnitude of folks that filled their reservation system and no-showed forfeiting the 1 night fee! That really hurt them financially because they are a family business and have to close the campground for the winter because of where they are in the mountains and every site has at least water and power. So they count on the fees from reservations to carry them through the winter, pay their loan, and to fund projects and maintenance/upkeep.

I completely understand their position, and they have to safeguard their finances from inconsiderate campers... We have also reserved most of our stays through end of year, and we noted larger deposits across the board and even State Parks updating their cancelation policies.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you've been staying in the same campground for years and years with no issues, and now the owners want more upfront, and blame it on economics. You've been faithful customers for a very long time, and you now are told: "We don't trust you anymore, and you have to pay up front because we think you'll renege on your deal". Wow, nice way to treat loyal customers.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    I don’t have an issue with it
    If you are sure you are going I don’t see an issue in paying

I stay at federal parks and they require all the payment in advance
    We don't mind paying it either. We just made reservations for our trip out west this summer, one being for two months at one cg. Most are still one night deposit with the remaining due at check in, however, the long- term, required $200 per month 'un-refundable' deposit. CG's are a business and have to make money in order to remain open and available. This is just another example of bad apples spoiling it for others.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    So you've been staying in the same campground for years and years with no issues, and now the owners want more upfront, and blame it on economics. You've been faithful customers for a very long time, and you now are told: "We don't trust you anymore, and you have to pay up front because we think you'll renege on your deal". Wow, nice way to treat loyal customers.
    I can only speculate is that you never owned your own business. Owning one's own business necessitates policies for protection, and the only way those polices are enforceable is by way of being written down and available to every customer and MUST BE UNIFORMLY APPLIED TO ALL CUSTOMERS. If not, it's not a policy, not enforceable, and leaves no recourse under insurance or court of law.

We are certainly not upset with the owners. Not one bit. They need to protect their livelihood. What I am upset with is the influx into the camping subculture that is causing a negative impact for all who have enjoyed and respected it before it becoming trendy and mainstream.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind paying whatever deposit, it's going to be paid anyway, not like they are charging extra. One place we stayed at you had to pay completely up front, nothing refundable, but if you couldn't make it they would give you credit for what you paid good up to one year which seems reasonable to me.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast