User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Good info, thanks. I'll play around with the garage software and see how it goes.
    Glad to help. I built it many times in that software before deciding on the final version. Being able to see it exactly as it would be made the purchase much more comfortable for us.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2021 20' Haulmark Edge race trailer
    '17 Ram CCLB 3500 dually 6.7 turbo
    '96 Chevy C3500 CC dually 454
    2019 Honda Talon X
    1985 Honda FL350R Odyssey

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Little update to the RV cover. We used shade tarps from Harbor Freight to help keep the sun off both trailers. Worked out really well. Simple deal to do.

TerryH, great post and good looking job on the carport. We put up a 36x18x12 with open gables and it gave us the height we need for the fifth wheel. I have been trying to come up with an idea to cover the front for sun protection and looking at what you did with the shade tarps is the way I will now be going. I think you got a great price for the carport. Ours ran almost 7 grand for just the carport.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    @TerryH Is the 14' height the vertical portion before the roof starts? Only asking because we are considering buying some land to put one of these on it when I retire from the Navy and live in the RV until we eventually build a house. We have a 5th wheel that is 13' 5" and I'm trying to see if I need 14' or 16' for the height so I can figure out pricing and all that.
    This looks similar to the one that I just had built a few months ago by Eagle Carports. It's 14' wide x 45' long and the side legs are 14' tall so that I had plenty of room to work inside on my roof and such. It was built in two days as well and it sided all the way down to the pavement on three side and then I added a curtain to the front. I didn't want to deal with any sun exposure here in CO. I recently added 10 LED lights down both sides so that I can work on the camper when desired. Love the carport and the protection it provides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20221111_090343.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	45130

Name:	20221121_151057.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	45134

Name:	20221111_090354.jpg 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	45131

Name:	Mar_4_2023_3_08_23.jpg 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	45132

Name:	Mar_4_2023_3_08_32.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	45133
    Last edited by COGrandDes; 03-04-2023 at 03:18 PM.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    TerryH, great post and good looking job on the carport. We put up a 36x18x12 with open gables and it gave us the height we need for the fifth wheel. I have been trying to come up with an idea to cover the front for sun protection and looking at what you did with the shade tarps is the way I will now be going. I think you got a great price for the carport. Ours ran almost 7 grand for just the carport.
    See my posts above but I ordered a curtain with track for my recent carport to cover the front. Works great and slides on the track when I want to open it. Also has velcro on each side panel to help keep it tight as well as chain links in the bottom for weight.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    See my posts above but I ordered a curtain with track for my recent carport to cover the front. Works great and slides on the track when I want to open it. Also has velcro on each side panel to help keep it tight as well as chain links in the bottom for weight.
    Thanks for the idea. Good looking setup that you have. I have no sides on my carport and am not sure if a solid tarp would withstand some of the high winds we get. I am hoping that the shade tarp will let enough wind thru to not rip it down. The shade tarps are pretty reasonably priced and so if it doesn't work I am not out much.
    2019 29rs

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the idea. Good looking setup that you have. I have no sides on my carport and am not sure if a solid tarp would withstand some of the high winds we get. I am hoping that the shade tarp will let enough wind thru to not rip it down. The shade tarps are pretty reasonably priced and so if it doesn't work I am not out much.
    I just screwed thru the grommets on the sides. I stretched an 1/8" steel cable across the top and attached the tarps with chain quick links. I used the proper length of nylon cord tied from the eye bolt to the first link on the left side of each tarp to center it once it's pulled tight on the right side. I tied more nylon cord to the last link on the right to pull the shade tarp tight. Couple of bungee cords on the bottom. Used a small cleat to secure the nylon cord on the right. Has worked well so far.

Pics for reference:

Last edited by TerryH; 03-04-2023 at 05:10 PM.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah totally understand. We get allot of wind here it seems now in CO and I didn't want to deal with using tarps or etc. to keep the sun out and to totally protect all the sides so I had steel installed everywhere except for the front. My last camper was severely damaged by the sun and I didn't want that for my new one. By tucking in the front curtain several feet from the end of the carport, the wind exposure is minimal and this front curtain is really thick. I also added two strings of removeable aircraft cable right behind the curtain to protect from the wind blowing it in towards the nose of the camper. One string is about 6" off the ground and the other is like 7' off the ground. We have had some pretty high winds here and it seems to be working fine. The steel sides certainly do raise the overall cost though so I get it.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
    Glad to help. I built it many times in that software before deciding on the final version. Being able to see it exactly as it would be made the purchase much more comfortable for us.
    Thanks for the additional pictures. It did clear up a couple of items I had been thinking about on the mounting system that you used. Sometimes it feels good to think outside the box and come up with an original design. Other times it is so good to follow somebody else's example and do it the easy way that is already proven to work.
    2019 29rs

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine had to meet strong wind loads and snow loads as well which required me to upgrade the steel structure members and tubing wall thickness. They also anchored it into both my blacktop and hard packed dirt with two types of anchors. The anchoring process was intense I will say. All that was factored into the design and price. Many of these vendors offer configurator web programs where you can built and spec it yourself to see the final outcome before pricing and ordering. Then I had to get a building permit for mine per the county. That added about four weeks to the process.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Mine had to meet strong wind loads and snow loads as well which required me to upgrade the steel structure members and tubing wall thickness. They also anchored it into both my blacktop and hard packed dirt with two types of anchors. The anchoring process was intense I will say. All that was factored into the design and price. Many of these vendors offer configurator web programs where you can built and spec it yourself to see the final outcome before pricing and ordering. Then I had to get a building permit for mine per the county. That added about four weeks to the process.
    The city required a permit here but nothing more than a basic drawing showing we adhered to the setbacks and rules and a final inspection in which the inspector was on property for 5 minutes. We purchased the heaviest gauge structure and did the 130 mph wind rating anchors. Seeing the smallest guy on the crew install the auger style mobile home anchors was pretty interesting. Definitely the slowest gear drive motor I have ever seen. Would have taken the guy for a ride but for the pipe they had against the vertical braces.
    2021 Momentum 31G
    2019 Honda Talon X

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12