User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Thanks for the updated info, I have been looking at Chevy's lately and nice info to know. I was told they have, or will soon be putting the updated engine in the trucks as a mid year update. My RAM has the 1000 ft/lbs of torque, and it has no problem pulling in the Rockies.
    2024's get the updated engine. (470/975 up from 445/910) which is basically mid year since the 24's are out 6 months earlier than normal. The 23's are a short run year. The spec that really matters that none of them publish is how much is torque managed in the lower gears. GM claims none but who knows. Big numbers don't matter if the computer is cutting it back at times to save the driveline. None have any issues in the mountains.

I had a '14 Longhorn Ram with a high output Cummins (385/850). Loved that truck. Interior was the best buy far even by todays standards. But I had no confidence if I had to pull out in heavy traffic (empty, daily driving). The throttle lag and TQ management were terrible. My brothers '16 Duramax with similar HP but less torque made mine feel like a slug. 95% of the time it doesn't matter, they're not sports cars, but I bothered me enough that when mine was totaled when a semi pulled out in front of me I went to my current '17 Duramax. In almost everyway except for the performance of the motor and the mirrors I still like my Ram better. The throttle lag/TQ management may be better in newer models.

Where it really matters, when pulling, I don't really notice much of a difference. I've pulled my 17,500+lbs 375 with my dads '13 HO ram (385/850), My brothers '16 Duramax (397/765) and my '17 Duramax (445/910) , all with a 6 speed trans and I really couldn't tell much of a difference in acceleration power. I wasn't doing timed runs or anything but nothing stood out as being slow/fast. The GM's held speed better on the highway, less downshifting but that's probably just programming. The Ram has the best exhaust break by far, not even close.

I looked at all three back to back to back at the Chicago auto show.

The Ram still has a great interior but is running on the oldest platform. Still basically the same platform as my '14, but with a cosmetic refresh. They probably had the largest cab in 13/14 to the smallest now (not counting the mega). They have delayed the next generation for a few years now. I would have loved to see what the next gen looks like when they adopt the 1/2 ton cab. Not a big fan of the tablet style infotainment screen, it doesn't look integrated very well IMO. They are also still running a 6 speed trans. The next gen is supposed to go to a 8 or 9 speed depending on which rumor you hear.

The new Ford was also nice. Like the new horizontal infotainment screen, interior was very good. They also have the big numbers on the Powerstroke. The CP4 and their availability issues are the biggest issues for me. I also still have a little resentment from my dads experience with the 6.0 powerstroke debacle and the way they treated customers at that time. But that was a long time ago.

The GM, also on a mid cycle refresh, IMO has finally caught the other 2 on interior quality. Love the big horizontal configurable infotainment screen. The invisible trailer tech is now fully functional with 5th wheels and I cant wait to try it out. (getting rid of the crap furrion trailer cam will be awesome). IMO the tailgate with the fold down step is nicer than the Ford version.

Didn't drive any of them (not much to drive out there!) But the power levels of all 3 are way above adequate so it doesn't really concern me. I do hope GM has improved the exhaust brake but not holding my breath
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    2024's get the updated engine. (470/975 up from 445/910) which is basically mid year since the 24's are out 6 months earlier than normal. The 23's are a short run year. The spec that really matters that none of them publish is how much is torque managed in the lower gears. GM claims none but who knows. Big numbers don't matter if the computer is cutting it back at times to save the driveline. None have any issues in the mountains.

I had a '14 Longhorn Ram with a high output Cummins (385/850). Loved that truck. Interior was the best buy far even by todays standards. But I had no confidence if I had to pull out in heavy traffic (empty, daily driving). The throttle lag and TQ management were terrible. My brothers '16 Duramax with similar HP but less torque made mine feel like a slug. 95% of the time it doesn't matter, they're not sports cars, but I bothered me enough that when mine was totaled when a semi pulled out in front of me I went to my current '17 Duramax. In almost everyway except for the performance of the motor and the mirrors I still like my Ram better. The throttle lag/TQ management may be better in newer models.

Where it really matters, when pulling, I don't really notice much of a difference. I've pulled my 17,500+lbs 375 with my dads '13 HO ram (385/850), My brothers '16 Duramax (397/765) and my '17 Duramax (445/910) , all with a 6 speed trans and I really couldn't tell much of a difference in acceleration power. I wasn't doing timed runs or anything but nothing stood out as being slow/fast. The GM's held speed better on the highway, less downshifting but that's probably just programming. The Ram has the best exhaust break by far, not even close.

The Ram still has a great interior but is running on the oldest platform. Still basically the same platform as my '14, but with a cosmetic refresh. They probably had the largest cab in 13/14 to the smallest now (not counting the mega). They have delayed the next generation for a few years now. I would have loved to see what the next gen looks like when they adopt the 1/2 ton cab. Not a big fan of the tablet style infotainment screen, it doesn't look integrated very well IMO. They are also still running a 6 speed trans. The next gen is supposed to go to a 8 or 9 speed depending on which rumor you hear.

The new Ford was also nice. Like the new horizontal infotainment screen, interior was very good. They also have the big numbers on the Powerstroke. The CP4 and their availability issues are the biggest issues for me. I also still have a little resentment from my dads experience with the 6.0 powerstroke debacle and the way they treated customers at that time. But that was a long time ago.

The GM, also on a mid cycle refresh, IMO has finally caught the other 2 on interior quality. Love the big horizontal configurable infotainment screen. The invisible trailer tech is now fully functional with 5th wheels and I cant wait to try it out. (getting rid of the crap furrion trailer cam will be awesome). IMO the tailgate with the fold down step is nicer than the Ford version.

Didn't drive any of them (not much to drive out there!) But the power levels of all 3 are way above adequate so it doesn't really concern me. I do hope GM has improved the exhaust brake but not holding my breath
    I'm curious what you didn't like about the GM exhaust brake? The one on my 2017 GMC 3500 worked well and the one on my new 2022 works great. I set the cruise, turn on the exhaust brake and the computer does it's thing. When I was pulling 16K lb 40' Montana up and down the CO mountains---it's seamlessly does it's thing. When I want to manually enable the brake, I hit the brake pedal slightly and it begins to operate. I'm not a Dodge guy for many reasons but wondering what people like better about their exhaust brake?
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    I'm curious what you didn't like about the GM exhaust brake? The one on my 2017 GMC 3500 worked well and the one on my new 2022 works great. I set the cruise, turn on the exhaust brake and the computer does it's thing. When I was pulling 16K lb 40' Montana up and down the CO mountains---it's seamlessly does it's thing. When I want to manually enable the brake, I hit the brake pedal slightly and it begins to operate. I'm not a Dodge guy for many reasons but wondering what people like better about their exhaust brake?
    Its been a bit since I had my '14 so I may be miss remembering a bit. I just remember noticing a stark difference when I went from my Ram to my GMC

The auto setting on the Cummins aways seemed to work exactly how I wanted it too (has 2 modes full and auto). I would run it on my Ram almost all the time, not just when pulling. I never turn it on in unless pulling in my GMC

On my Duramax, coming down the mountain for example it just keeps slowing me down and I need to reengage the throttle to disengage the exhaust brake and stop loosing speed. I don't use cruise in the mountains so maybe that's the problem.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its been a bit since I had my '14 so I may be miss remembering a bit. I just remember noticing a stark difference when I went from my Ram to my GMC

The auto setting on the Cummins aways seemed to work exactly how I wanted it too (has 2 modes full and auto). I would run it on my Ram almost all the time, not just when pulling. I never turn it on in unless pulling in my GMC

On my Duramax, coming down the mountain for example it just keeps slowing me down and I need to reengage the throttle to disengage the exhaust brake and stop loosing speed. I don't use cruise in the mountains so maybe that's the problem.
    Ahh...gotcha. Ok. Well if you set a desired speed with the cruise, the powertrain will stay at that speed from my experience. If you just use manual and expect it to stay at a certain speed...it will not. When the exhaust brake is enabled---it's primary purpose is to slow the truck down and it will keep doing that until you disable the exhaust brake or speed up with it enabled. Maybe it's just a difference in how both manufacturers attack the problem.....no clue.
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by COGrandDes View Post
    Ahh...gotcha. Ok. Well if you set a desired speed with the cruise, the powertrain will stay at that speed from my experience. If you just use manual and expect it to stay at a certain speed...it will not. When the exhaust brake is enabled---it's primary purpose is to slow the truck down and it will keep doing that until you disable the exhaust brake or speed up with it enabled. Maybe it's just a difference in how both manufacturers attack the problem.....no clue.
    I found this video which explains the Ram exhaust brake. On auto it will vary its braking to maintain speed on decent. Using Cruise control on ours probably is similar but I don't normally use cruise going up or down mountains especially if its moderate or heavy traffic. Its not a game changer by any means just a little nicer and intuitive IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjMs..._channel=Mopar
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAM still has the torque management on the trucks, at least the HO, and it is very frustrating to me, especially when the other two do not have it, or at least as agressive. Been several oh-oh moments when you press the pedal, and it actually reduces the power. I had a '16 Chevy 2500 Dmax, and that was impressive on acceleration.

The RAM does have a better interior, but I think the GM/Chevy has a better ride. I have seen the new screens on the '24 GM/Chevy, and for me, not a fan, I like the 8" screens. The first couple of years on the RAM 12" screens have issue's due to not having enough memory, or processing power.

RAM mirrors, worst of the three. There is a reason there is a kit out to replace them with a Chevy mirror.

I am not brand loyal, and when I needed to upgrade my truck from a 2500 to a 3500, I went to the RAM due to it having the best payload. Ford is usually at least 300 lbs less payload than RAM (SRW). Now the GM/Chevy has upped the game with the higher payload, they are equal, and I am looking at the Chevy again. Interesting that Chevy needs to have a 12,100 GVWR to match the payload of the RAM with a 11,800 GVWR.

RAM clearly wins on the exhaust brake, it is that good. In heavy traffic, with the exhaust brake in the full on mode, it will almost stop you, and at times I will lightly press the brake pedal just to get the brake lights on to warn others of my slowing down.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RAM still has the torque management on the trucks, at least the HO, and it is very frustrating to me, especially when the other two do not have it, or at least as agressive. Been several oh-oh moments when you press the pedal, and it actually reduces the power. I had a '16 Chevy 2500 Dmax, and that was impressive on acceleration.

The RAM does have a better interior, but I think the GM/Chevy has a better ride. I have seen the new screens on the '24 GM/Chevy, and for me, not a fan, I like the 8" screens. The first couple of years on the RAM 12" screens have issue's due to not having enough memory, or processing power.

RAM mirrors, worst of the three. There is a reason there is a kit out to replace them with a Chevy mirror.

I am not brand loyal, and when I needed to upgrade my truck from a 2500 to a 3500, I went to the RAM due to it having the best payload. Ford is usually at least 300 lbs less payload than RAM (SRW). Now the GM/Chevy has upped the game with the higher payload, they are equal, and I am looking at the Chevy again. Interesting that Chevy needs to have a 12,100 GVWR to match the payload of the RAM with a 11,800 GVWR.

RAM clearly wins on the exhaust brake, it is that good. In heavy traffic, with the exhaust brake in the full on mode, it will almost stop you, and at times I will lightly press the brake pedal just to get the brake lights on to warn others of my slowing down.
    Good comparison. I love the mirrors on my new 2022 Sierra AT4 and share your sentiments with the 8" screen. I'm not a fan of the Tesla like screens and don't care for the ones in my friend's Dodge and Ford trucks. I just don't see the need for huge icons. I can cleary see what I need from my cameras and entertainment with the screen I have. I also like the accents in the AT4 interiors.

I will have to get a demo on the exhaust brake. I'm happy with the way mine works in conjunction with pulling heavy loads and the 10-speed Allison trans.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2014 was a Mega, it had a 12,400 GVWR. Which I believe is the largest even today for a single wheel truck. The problem is they are still rating the rear axle at 7,000. You could hit that before the GVWR depending on how its loaded.

Look at me quoting weights Never thought I would see the day.

I go either way on the screens, I don't like the Rams, it looks somewhat slapped in there. I noticed a bunch of new cars/SUV that look the same. Lets take a tablet and force it into the dash. Some look awful. I also want as many physical button as possible. I don't want everything running on a touch screen. I despise the tesla interior. The new ford and the new GM I like, they look integrated better. And at least with the GM, being able to have multiple things on the screen is also nice. Nav and icons or other info, etc. And with all the camera options now, especially back up, they cant be big enough as far as I'm concerned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.pdf 
Views:	8 
Size:	571.6 KB 
ID:	45164

Name:	screen 2.pdf 
Views:	6 
Size:	796.8 KB 
ID:	45165

Name:	screen 3.pdf 
Views:	4 
Size:	990.0 KB 
ID:	45166
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right at 3 months from order to pickup.

Name:	IMG_3459.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	46770

Name:	IMG_3456.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	46771
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right at 3 months from order to pickup.

Name:	IMG_3459.jpeg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	46770

Name:	IMG_3456.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	46771
    Love it. Great color and love the chrome on the grille......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast