User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2019 3500 trucks MSRP is up about $13K. My 2019 TT is up about $18k. Thats $31K more that someone buying today has to pay. I don't care how much money people have that's a chunk of $$$ for an item that depreciates rapidly. For those financing that's going to really add to their payment or if they stretch the loan out they will be even more upside down. Couple all that with the higher interest rates and ouch.
    JMHO but turn out the lights the RV party's over for a lot of buyers.
    Last edited by goducks14; 03-09-2023 at 09:47 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    My 2019 3500 trucks MSRP is up about $13K. My 2019 TT is up about $18k. Thats $31K more that someone buying today has to pay. I don't care how much money people have that's a chunk of $$$ for an item that depreciates rapidly. For those financing that's going to really add to their payment or if they stretch the loan out they will be even more upside down. Couple all that with the higher interest rates and ouch.
    JMHO but turn out the lights the RV party's over for a lot of buyers.
    And if we wind up in a recession, oh man, are people going to get beat up when they go to sell those trucks they paid MSRP+ for or an RV that's 50% more expensive than it was 3 years ago. That's my real fear, it's not so much the money, it's the "buying at the top" that would be super painful if you need to sell in the next few years.

That said, one of the RVs I was looking at was a used Luxe. 2020, IIRC. Very good/excellent condition. The owner was great and sent me all kind of paperwork, including something I'm sure he didn't mean to send me; the original invoice. His asking price was +20K from what he paid for it, NEW, 2 years ago. I thought he was open to going down a bit, and we talked it over, but I never made an offer. He reached out to me the other day to let me know it had sold. At his listing price! Guy owned the RV for 2 years and made 20K on it?! What a crazy market.

That said, I'm sure I could sell my 2019 F450 for what I paid for it or darn close. Not going to, but given what I'm seeing for used, I don't think I'd have any difficulty getting out what I put into it. For a 3 year old truck with 40K miles on it. Ridiculous.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New guy here and my .02. We bought our first TT and truck a month or so prior to the 2020 shutdowns, not because of the covid malarkey, but because we wanted to start camping. (Unknowingly timed that one great) We had a Nissan Titan XD and a Lance 2445 trailer. Paid pre-covid price on both. Fast forward to a couple months ago and sold the trailer for 10k more than we paid. Put at least 15k miles and over 200 nights on the trailer. Sold the truck a year earlier with 50k more miles at my original purchase price. Yes, overpaid for the new truck, but at a 2.9% interest rate. Just bought our Reflection for 30% off msrp OTD including sales tax and all the dealerships junk fees. Not too worried about the depreciation or loss of value. We take care of our rigs and use them for their intended purpose and know its not an investment. The experiences are worth the cost.
    Last edited by The Bruck Fam; 03-09-2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Spell check fail

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is part of the text in an email solicitation to sell our RV. It is the second email I have received in the last 5 days, this one from our selling dealer.

Looking to part ways with your current RV? Now is the perfect time to sell! We’re looking to buy Class A's, Class C’s, Travel Trailers, and Fifth Wheels — all for top dollar. With additional incentives on motorized units. With the market at an all-time high, there’s never been a better time to sell! We’ve got the highest cash offers in the country and will get you paid FAST. We’ll make selling your RV a smooth and seamless process. What are you waiting for?
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    This is part of the text in an email solicitation to sell our RV. It is the second email I have received in the last 5 days, this one from our selling dealer.

Looking to part ways with your current RV? Now is the perfect time to sell! We’re looking to buy Class A's, Class C’s, Travel Trailers, and Fifth Wheels — all for top dollar. With additional incentives on motorized units. With the market at an all-time high, there’s never been a better time to sell! We’ve got the highest cash offers in the country and will get you paid FAST. We’ll make selling your RV a smooth and seamless process. What are you waiting for?
    See what they offer you for your trailer... let us know if you do and if it was as good as they state. May be a few others on the forum might want to cash in.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fsalmy View Post
    Good luck with that Tripp - hope it works out with the issues you have had but you know they will make $ on the sale and one can only hope it isn't at your expense. I'm still getting requests to buy my truck - and from dealers in NC, CT, NH that I've had maintenance done at. I'm getting emails and snail mail letters.

But nothing from my local RV dealer where we purchased from. Was there yesterday - not much inventory yet but they claim sales are still through the roof and are not taking any non-dealership-sold repair requests.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Good luck with that Tripp - hope it works out with the issues you have had but you know they will make $ on the sale and one can only hope it isn't at your expense. I'm still getting requests to buy my truck - and from dealers in NC, CT, NH that I've had maintenance done at. I'm getting emails and snail mail letters.

But nothing from my local RV dealer where we purchased from. Was there yesterday - not much inventory yet but they claim sales are still through the roof and are not taking any non-dealership-sold repair requests.
    We're not really interested in selling, even if at or above what we paid. If they want to do an even swap for a 2023 unit with same options (including solar and genny) and let us move all of our upgrades over to the new one, we would consider it. But, on a straight sale, don't even want to waste my or their time with getting a cash quote. Funny, I got another unsolicited email from RV One last night. Nearly identical wording. Anyway, we just got the rig back in late Feb after being at the selling dealer's shop for 3 months. Haven't been able to use it since Sep 2022. What would we replace it with? I did a 2023 build of our model on GD's website. MSRP was nearly $45K more than MSRP in 2021. The selling dealer is in NC and had at least 12-15 Imagines and Transcends, and probably 8-10 each of Reflections, S-Class, Solitudes and Momentums on the lot. And that was just GD models at their NC location. I think the SC dealership is even larger.

I'm also getting lots of unsolicited emails from Ford dealers in VA, MD, NC & TX offering to purchase my F450. The selling dealer offered a minimum of $10K more than I paid for it in Mar 21. Sight unseen. I also got an unsolicited CarFax email offer to buy with a quoted price about $4K less than what I paid. Again, what I would replace it with? Well, besides a lake house and a boat. I send all of these emails to the trash bin. But still, the emails do not portend a softening market and certainly don't seem to jive with what some members of the forum have been posting about dealers not wanting trades.

I don't know. If I could walk away with a couple hundred grand in cash for both the 378 and 450, and they came here and picked them up, and bought me a really nice dinner, and built some new fencing for the farm and renovated one of the barns, then maybe we would have a deal. It would have to be a really nice dinner, though.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to update, my RV sold yesterday. So the market isn't dead, but I do feel it's softer than it was. What really helps used sales is that the price of new (anything really, but RVs in particular) have gotten so ridiculous. We sold our 351 for about what we paid for it. Sounds great, right? Well, if you're getting out of RVing entirely, sure, it is. But if your buying something else, particularly if you're trading up, it's not good. My buyer "overpaid" for my RV, but then I'm going to turn around and overpay even more for a new one. Net loss to everyone; it's nice to say "Got what I put in", but the real benefit of that only accrues to those leaving the RV world or trading down.

On the positive side, the buyer was a great guy, really positive experience selling private. I'd absolutely do that way again. And, despite paying nearly what we paid for it new a few years ago, he got a good deal. You can't touch a 351M for what we paid for ours in 19 (new). It's a crazy market. We were looking at another late model used unit as a replacement about a month ago and the seller sent over his sales sheet. He was asking more than he paid for it. And, ready for this? He got multiple offers and wound up selling it for close to 30K over what he paid?! For a 2 year old unit!

It's a really silly market.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GD lays off workers

https://www.goshennews.com/news/gran...6e63f512f.html

Looks like things are slowing considerably , if we get lucky maybe prices will drop on new units was well
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    https://www.goshennews.com/news/gran...6e63f512f.html

Looks like things are slowing considerably , if we get lucky maybe prices will drop on new units was well
    50% down (per the article you linked) is pretty catastrophic in most businesses. RV's run in cycles, so hopefully the manufacturers are kind of ready for this, but still, almost any company seeing a -50% in sales would be considered "the bottom falling out".

Couple that with rising interest rates, I hate to say it, but I think we're going to see some failures and/or M/A activity over the next year or two.
    2020 Grand Design 351M (sold)
    2022 Luxe 44FB
    2019 F450 KR w/Hensley BD5F

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast