User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    First, Calyx in its TOS says you must use their Hotspot and I would recommend getting the M2000 5G and used in the M2000 for the first year. You can connect the M2000 to Balance 20X serial port which gives you the advantage to using bonding and failover to other connections including WY-FI WAN connections to the park WIFI or even your phones hotspot. I have put my SIM into a Pepwave MAX BR1 Pro 5G and the Balance 20X and just works. I know people that have had the Calyx SIM in Pepwave for a year and no problems. It always a risk that they will enforce the TOS and I'm fairly confident that are not enforcing it as of NOW.

Second the FMCA AT&T is a bring your own device. You can get it in a Franklin piece of junk hotspot or you give FMCA the IMEI of your unit and the type SIM you want and within the TOS to use your own device.

Depends on how you RV how much you will use but we spend a lot time in our RV so our usage is like what we use at home. See if you internet home internet provider gives you usage data. According to the usage reports I get from Pepwave we use between 1. 1.5 GB per hour streaming 1080P. Since we spend the amount of time we do on the road we have dropped out home internet to the cheapest we can find just to run our security systems and when were home we setup out Balance 20X and load balance with our home connections so we use our Balance 20X 365 days a year.
    Thanks again, very helpful. I'll continue to research and consider my options. I'm feeling like Starlink may not be best for us at this point, but need to give it more consideration. Appreciate all the helpful info. I watched a video on the Pepwave so understand it more. Not that clear yet on how one knows if you can take a sim card out of one device and put it in another, but I'll keep researching.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
    Looking at the Calyx website, the M2000 isn't available, only the Quanta in 5g.
    I have no knowledge of the quality of the Quanta hotspot. But this link still shows the M2000 under Sustainer

https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/internet

On Edit -- I see if you try to signup the M2000 is no longer an option. I would send them note and ask them if or when it will become available again.
    Last edited by CWSWine; 03-10-2023 at 08:46 AM.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had SL for a couple of months now and are generally happy with it. We are Canadian Snowbirds and bought when we came south using a US address. I turned portability on just before SL took that option away so for the time being anyway, I think we are locked in. I really didn't want the RV plan due to always being deprioritized.
    I am not sure what will happen when we return to Canada at the end of the month though. The TOS says we can only expect to be able to use it for 2 months when out of the home country. If it turns out we have to switch to a Canadian plan then I guess we will do that.
    We also have cell plans with generous data plans that allow us to roam onto any of the US networks so that gives us a back up if SL stops working for whatever reason.
    Bottom line is that what ever you pick as a primary provider, always have a backup should the primary not be usable.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the RV version and we have only used it twice so far. When we initially got it at home we are in a waiting area, and then this past winter for a month when we went to Big Bend. It was nice having the ability to check weather and watch a little TV at night while in Big Bend and then on the way home with two nights stopped. Both stops had none or limited cell service. I do take it out and plug it in every month or so so it can update. Even with the now $150 a month charge, it's worth it to us. The apparently new feature to put it to sleep rather than unplugging it or shutting off the inverter is something I'm looking forward to trying this spring when we go off grid the western desert. Not cheap, but worthwhile as far as we are concerned.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobinICT View Post
    We have the RV version and we have only used it twice so far. When we initially got it at home we are in a waiting area, and then this past winter for a month when we went to Big Bend. It was nice having the ability to check weather and watch a little TV at night while in Big Bend and then on the way home with two nights stopped. Both stops had none or limited cell service. I do take it out and plug it in every month or so so it can update. Even with the now $150 a month charge, it's worth it to us. The apparently new feature to put it to sleep rather than unplugging it or shutting off the inverter is something I'm looking forward to trying this spring when we go off grid the western desert. Not cheap, but worthwhile as far as we are concerned.
    Curious, when it loses power (Inverter off) how long does it take to completely reboot back up? Don't own one so I'm curious as to what happens when it needs to restart like if you shut it off at night and restart the next day.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Curious, when it loses power (Inverter off) how long does it take to completely reboot back up? Don't own one so I'm curious as to what happens when it needs to restart like if you shut it off at night and restart the next day.
    It's fast. My experience is about 3 minutes for a full reboot and back online.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes 2 or 3 minutes to connect and get service. To get full speed service it can take up to 15 minutes and that according to the App.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It takes 2 or 3 minutes to connect and get service. To get full speed service it can take up to 15 minutes and that according to the App.
    Okay. Thats not bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no knowledge of the quality of the Quanta hotspot. But this link still shows the M2000 under Sustainer

On Edit -- I see if you try to signup the M2000 is no longer an option. I would send them note and ask them if or when it will become available again.
    It looks like there is a new model in the works, MiFi Pro X 5G is showing on the T-Mobile site.

I had an issue with Starlink losing connection with the dish while on generator power. It seemed to be caused by dirty power from the Generac generator, I switched to the Honda UI2000's and it worked fine for the rest of the time power was out. This was during hurricane Ian in Oct. Just something to keep in mind, Starlink likes clean power.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm180 View Post
    It looks like there is a new model in the works, MiFi Pro X 5G is showing on the T-Mobile site.

I had an issue with Starlink losing connection with the dish while on generator power. It seemed to be caused by dirty power from the Generac generator, I switched to the Honda UI2000's and it worked fine for the rest of the time power was out. This was during hurricane Ian in Oct. Just something to keep in mind, Starlink likes clean power.
    Interesting as I have both a Honda 2000W and a newer Generac iq3500. What model was your Generac?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast