User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Rob - what are RFID blocking puches ? Any samples to share/where to buy ? I'm not familiar with these ?

Thanks, Rob

Steve @Steven147 - thanks for sharing this alert.

Dan
    It probably like one of those wallets you see advertised that block credit debit card chips, so a thief can not simply swipe your backside and steal your card information.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Here's your three best tips with modern trucks and theft: 1) put your key fobs, including spares, in RFID blocking pouches when not in use regardless of where they are - including your pocket; 2) obscure you VIN in the windshield (simple envelope or card is all it takes); and 3) make your OBD2 port inaccessible. The last is trickier, and there are a couple companies that make security covers. However, simply unbolting it and moving it out of the normal spot is really effective due to the confusion it causes! These are the no mod inhibitors but not full-proof. For more certainty, hidden disconnects for fuel (diesel or gas) or ignition (gas) are inexpensive and effective when installed by a knowledgeable person so they're not in plain sight! Magnetic switch and latching relay is all it takes. You use a latching relay so that it resets every time the ignition is turned off so you don't forget to activate the protective measure.

All trucks have become a major target because of the short supply of parts. RAMs have made the news because of the simplicity to trick them to keep them running without an actual fob, but it's not really any more difficult for the other two big badges.
    Pull the fuses for the fuel injection pumps? Might work once until the thieves start carrying spare fuses?
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Rob - what are RFID blocking puches ? Any samples to share/where to buy ? I'm not familiar with these ?

Thanks, Rob

Steve @Steven147 - thanks for sharing this alert.

Dan
    Dan, these are little Faraday cages basically made my inserting laminated foils between fabric. Ever buy a hard drive for a computer and had to unwrap it from a mylar pouch? Same thing. There's a company called GoDark that makes completely reliable RFID blocking items. However, there are many makers of all price points, and you can validate by trial and error if you cannot meter test. Simply drop your fob in, be in the vehicle, and see if it can sense it via attempting to lock/unlock.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Believe it or not, by accident I found out that I can unlock our 2018 RAM's doors by simply using one of those bic long neck lighters. I happen to be standing next to our RAM, with the key FOB in my pocket, I lit a cigarette with the lighter and the doors unlocked.
    Oh my goodness......never would have thought this. I certainly do not understand this issue enough and risks associated.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Dan, these are little Faraday cages basically made my inserting laminated foils between fabric. Ever buy a hard drive for a computer and had to unwrap it from a mylar pouch? Same thing. There's a company called GoDark that makes completely reliable RFID blocking items. However, there are many makers of all price points, and you can validate by trial and error if you cannot meter test. Simply drop your fob in, be in the vehicle, and see if it can sense it via attempting to lock/unlock.
    Awesome, thanks so much Rob !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Transmissions have a pin that locks it into park. A wrecker starts pulling it that pin brakes and it will then freewheel. Rode with a repo guy one time and saw him do it. Never even felt it. It pulled it away like it was already in neutral. Read the Manual and you will see where it says if parking on a hill to set the parking brake.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 03-15-2023 at 12:12 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

There are always appetites for those to steal vehicles, nothing really new here. In our former neighborhood in what seemed like a fairly nice secure area in Eastern Jackson county MO, they were stealing catalytic converters out of vehicles parked in their driveways just last year. F150s and Superduties have been targeted for a while here as well. 20 years ago carjacking at stoplights was being reported all over the KCMO area.

Just like RV thefts in storage facilities during COVID, if a trailer/vehicle looks easier to get into than the next and someone is looking for the easier prey, it probably will be the more attractive unit. Most recently built autos have factory theft prevention. But, beyond placing an additional lock on the steering wheel, ensuring your widows are alwsys rolled up and tinted as legally dark as possible, locking doors, motion detected lights/well lit area and (as mentioned) - parking in a way to prevent being towed off, your only real prevention is purchasing additional ignition disabling device that requires more time to steal your auto over the next guys.

In other words, if they want it and dont mind the obstacles to get it, or just follow you in traffic and carjack you when convenient, there are really no good options. IMO, I would rather them steal the whole darn truck, then just pieces of it and leaving me a POS to deal with.

Insurance, and simple cheap dissuaders (doors locked, legal tinted glass, no vissible "interesting items" inside, windows up, parking, lit area,, etc) has been OUR best theft prevention in this crazy thieving world we live in. That and maybe a "visible" working camera to watch our parking areas to record (not stop most likely) attempted theft as it happens so that it can he turned over to the LEOs later.

Over the years, all of this has been verbally repeated to me by LEOs multiple times when asking for thier advice... and although we have had a few "attempted" issues over the years, we have not suffered as much as a neighbor who didnt follow these simple disssuaders.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess Wife Tami is ahead of me. Since we talked about this the other day, she just told me she ordered these off amazon. $12.99 for two of the medium sized ones.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good, longer term theft deterrent is to consider very carefully what you do on the first Tuesday of every November.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    A good, longer term theft deterrent is to consider very carefully what you do on the first Tuesday of every November.
    Yup. Elect DA’s that actually sentence auto theft
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast