User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Wire Gauge?

With my recent dead battery and jack error issues I've decided to add a second lead acid battery. Also, with members advice I have ordered a Victron Smart Shunt battery monitor. Always great advice on this forum. What gauge wire should I use to parallel my batteries?
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    With my recent dead battery and jack error issues I've decided to add a second lead acid battery. Also, with members advice I have ordered a Victron Smart Shunt battery monitor. Always great advice on this forum. What gauge wire should I use to parallel my batteries?
    Howdy,

Typical for fla is 6ga between batteries.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    It all depends on the load and how far away your battery is. This article might help https://www.bluesea.com/support/arti...r_a_DC_Circuit

For my 4-6V in a series/parallel set up I have 2/0 for the series connection and 4/0 from each pair to the power in center. My inverter can pull 400A (200A per battery set)

So using the chart 200A requires 2/0. 6 awg will work for the typical 30/50A DC trailer service - check you max breaker on you trailer positive buss bar (usually where the battery cable attaches) and size accordingly for the distance.

Note for a DC circuit the power flows from and to the battery so the distance is doubled based on the wire run. So if the distance from the positive battery terminal and the lead to where it connects to the trailer power in bar is 5', the distance you use on the chart is 10'. I always use the 3% critical number, and usually size up to be sure I don't let the magic smoke out.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar