User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The US sites navigation leaves little to be desired... After bouncing off and on various pages I finally found this about food, alcohol and tobacco you can take back in
    https://help.cbp.gov/s/sidebar-top-5...language=en_US
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You must use ArriveCAN for crossing any time you enter Canada - they get grumpy if you don't. https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...arrivecan.html

Be prepared for some strange questions. I have a Colorado CCW and they asked me directly if I was carrying (leave everything at home) so thier and the US systems must be linked somehow.

Bear spray is a no as well as personal pepper spray. Limits on liquor, no eggs, onions, peppers, garlic, etc.

Discover card is not really accepted. Visa and MasterCard. Tell you card company you will be going so the don't freeze the card and carry a backup from a separate bank.

US cell phones don't normally work and if you set up international roaming it can get very pricey (1$ a minute) I got a prepaid sim card good for a month with US and Canadian calling and good data for $45 (Walmart).

If you truck uses DEF carry a spare or two as I had difficulty finding it west of Edmonton.

Speed limits are lower there and enforced. Learn how to reset your dash to metric speeds and kilometers

Carry Canadian cash (banks can exchange). US funds were worth 25% more there when I went. Current rate is 1$ US = $1.37 Canadian

Lots of other little things. Had an issue at a gas station where the India attendants were disrespectful of my wife. Also I hate to say this but watch out for bad driving.

Hope this helps
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Be prepared for some strange questions. I have a Colorado CCW and they asked me directly if I was carrying (leave everything at home) so thier and the US systems must be linked somehow.
    This surprises you?

When entering the US I get asked if I have any weapons/explosives in my possession. Just due diligence by the border agents.

And yes, unless it is hunting season and you're coming here to hunt, or partake in a competition, please leave your firearms at home. Even if you do declare them and have all the proper paperwork they still could be impounded, confiscated and you could face criminal charges if they do not meet specific guidelines for entry. Things such as fully automatic action, over capacity magazines are prohibited amongst other things.
    Last edited by Castlerock; 03-19-2023 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Clarity
    2022 F350 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 7.3
    2023 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    2021 F150 SC SB XLT Sport 3.5 EB Max Tow - Sold
    2021 Reflection 150 Series 260RD - Sold

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    The US sites navigation leaves little to be desired... After bouncing off and on various pages I finally found this about food, alcohol and tobacco you can take back in
    https://help.cbp.gov/s/sidebar-top-5...language=en_US
    Yep, the US site is pathetic. At least the Canadian site gives you most of the information. Just reading some of the RV site recommendations it will take some planning. But yet a lot of folks make the Alaska trip successfully - maybe going with a group helps. That said, don't think I'll test the water at the beginning of this trip just for one overnight.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You must use ArriveCAN for crossing any time you enter Canada - they get grumpy if you don't. https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...arrivecan.html
    The Arrivecan app is dead thankfully, no longer required.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    The Arrivecan app is dead thankfully, no longer required.
    Good news, but the web page is still saying to use it. I guess things are the same no matter what side of the border your on. Gooberment at it best - confusion
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good news, but the web page is still saying to use it. I guess things are the same no matter what side of the border your on. Gooberment at it best - confusion
    The ArriveCan App is now only for air travel as an alternate way to declare your custom and immigration declarations. Its not mandatory "yet" but preferred and only for air travel.

"ArriveCAN offers the Advance CBSA Declaration feature. This optional feature is for travellers who want to save time at certain Canadian international airports by providing their customs and immigration declaration to the CBSA in advance."

It will most likely become mandatory for all crossing in the near future.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've crossed a few times and never had any issues or got searched. Searches are random (unless you have a note in your file) and take less then an hour from what I've heard.
    Have your passport, vehicle ownership/registration, itinerary and list of purchases to declare (when returning) ready. For Canadians returning, that is $800/person for stays over 48hrs before having to pay duties.

To enter Canada, this is what you can and cannot bring. More details here, https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...c-rnc-eng.html
    Each person (adult) can enter Canada with;
    Alcohol, 1.5 liters (2 regular bottle) of wine, or 40oz liquor, or 8.5 liter (24 regular bottle/cans). Not a combination of all 3.
    Tobacco, 200 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 200 grams. There are different limits on what you are exempt and what you can bring in (even if paying duty).
    $10,000 CAD
    No drugs, including any marijuana/cannabis products. You can simply buy those after you enter.
    No weapons. This includes bear spray, blades over 4in (except kitchen knives), handguns... Only exception on certain firearms is for hunting and competition. Special rules for those.

Where it gets real complicated, and I find that its applies for both sides, is food.
    We simply cross each way with the fridge empty. No meat or meat or poultry products or fruits or vegetable. I find it simpler this way (and maybe that is why we never got search so far). We'll just hit the first grocery store we come across on the other side.

Here's another good link on what you can and cant bring in to Canada. https://www.canada.ca/en/border-serv...to-canada.html
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    The ArriveCan App is now only for air travel as an alternate way to declare your custom and immigration declarations. Its not mandatory "yet" but preferred and only for air travel.

"ArriveCAN offers the Advance CBSA Declaration feature. This optional feature is for travellers who want to save time at certain Canadian international airports by providing their customs and immigration declaration to the CBSA in advance."

It will most likely become mandatory for all crossing in the near future.
    I drove to Alaska last August and used it to enter the first time, then did not coming back. I got scolded badly at the border and was told I had to use it any time I entered Canada (was going to make a few side trips to Haines, Stewart, Skagway etc). I tried to explain my lack of computer access - US phones not working, etc and was politely told it was my problem and next time choose a place to stop that had access, I left and entered Canada 4 times that trip. A bit of a pain figuring out when and where I would cross ahead of time, get access and find a way to print it out for the border crossing. I had no way to show it electronically at first.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I drove to Alaska last August and used it to enter the first time, then did not coming back. I got scolded badly at the border and was told I had to use it any time I entered Canada (was going to make a few side trips to Haines, Stewart, Skagway etc). I tried to explain my lack of computer access - US phones not working, etc and was politely told it was my problem and next time choose a place to stop that had access, I left and entered Canada 4 times that trip. A bit of a pain figuring out when and where I would cross ahead of time, get access and find a way to print it out for the border crossing. I had no way to show it electronically at first.
    Fortunately the plandemic foolishness is starting to end
    The US government is taking more time at this and is dragging their feet
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast