User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is a good deal on a new travel trailer?

My wife and I are looking to buy a new Grand Design XLS 22MLE. I have done some online research and a lot of articles say 20 to 25 percent off MSRP is a good deal. Does this sound right? Here's an example trailer and MSRP. Has anyone else bought new recently that you can share what to expect for final price vs MSRP?

One we are looking at has a base MSRP of $38,367 with $6,372 of add-ons for a total of $44,739. Does anyone have any experience with "what others are paying" for this same model or what a true expected discount off MSRP would be?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	grand design 22mle price.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	691.2 KB 
ID:	45450

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should be able to get about 30% off MSRP. You should build it on GD's website and see what the real MSRP is in case the dealer changed the numbers. Make sure you are negotiating the out the door price.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The internet is your best tool

Find dealers that have the unit and ask for their best deal

I drove 800 miles to get my trailer They had the cheapest price

Best part of these things is they have wheels so you can go anywhere to get it and you can vacation while picking it up
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something weird is going on here so forgive me if this post ends up being, in essence, a duplicate.

I would look at rvtrader.com and do a "nationwide" search.
    2023 Reflection 297RSTS
    2020 F-250 Power Stroke

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When looking for a new travel trailer I first looked around and decided which brand and model I wanted. I decided on a Grand Design Imagine 2670MK, and started contacting dealers for their lowest price on that model. I always requested "out the door" prices that included tax, tags, and any other fees the dealer might tack on. That makes it easy to compare prices: it's the same model and one final price. Since there was an RV show coming up in my area, I went and found the GD dealer and managed to get a price $3k lower than the best I had found, so I bought it.

How much of a discount one should get from MSRP depends on so many factors that you just can't make a simple claim like "25% or 30% off". A popular model will have less discount than an unpopular one, dealers will discount more on something on their lot than something they have to order, etc. For me, the way to get the best price is to first decide on which model you want, so you can compare apples to apples, then shop around for the lowest price on that specific model. It's pretty easy when you're dealing with RVs since a specific model like a GD 2670MK is the same unit, no matter which dealer you get it from.

It sounds like you've narrowed your search down to one model, so you just need to shop "out the door" price. As others have mentioned, you can use internet sites like RVTrader to look for dealers and prices. You can even sort by distance to see which dealers are closest to you. Decide how far you're willing to drive if you get a good enough deal, then start calling dealers. What is listed online is not always their best price, so don't be afraid to call and ask for a lower one.
    Last edited by RubiconMike; 03-21-2023 at 09:46 AM.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does GD even allow delaers to show discounted prices on new models? In the past they didn't. I can find massive discounts on most all brands but GD.
    Makes it tough to deal IMO.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Does GD even allow delaers to show discounted prices on new models? In the past they didn't. I can find massive discounts on most all brands but GD.
    Makes it tough to deal IMO.
    Don’t believe so but a quick call will get you their price or even an email
    I made one request by email from the dealer I bought from
    They sent me a price no one could touch first time
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Don’t believe so but a quick call will get you their price or even an email
    I made one request by email from the dealer I bought from
    They sent me a price no one could touch first time
    Had the same experience on our 2019. Basically the dealer lists the MSRP on their website, ask for you to call for the sale price..... in our case was about 35% at the time.

Also with that was able to bargain with another GD dealer for a even lower price - if willing to drive just a little further across the state.

Tip.... unsold units sitting on the ground cost money. Most dealers want to move older stock to make room for new ones. End of season (after October before March) is also great times to buy!
    Last edited by trailrydr; 03-21-2023 at 01:31 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark,

Yes 30% is a realistic number. But that was not my only issues buying my new GD. I did not buy from the lowest price I got. If you are willing to do the legwork you will get a good price and by from a good dealer. My process was I decided (like you) what I wanted and sent the unit details to many dealers looking for a quote. I told them and stuck to it that I would not share numbers of other dealers. So many of them asked me where they needed to be........your best out the door, delivered price. Prices were all over the place. I ended with two very good offers, one was from a dealer that I did not trust...would never buy from Camping World and the other was from a smaller dealer which was a little higher quote. However they did an outstanding job of going over the trailer before delivery and went over everything. So far in setting up our trailer everything works fine with no break in issues. So for me a blend of pricing and a local dealership with reasonable service has led to a good overall experience. Hope this is helpful, Send out those requests for quote and never ever buy while in the showroom . Don

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You should be able to get about 30% off MSRP. You should build it on GD's website and see what the real MSRP is in case the dealer changed the numbers. Make sure you are negotiating the out the door price.
    Saw this post. Are saying, 30% off MSRP, and then they add freight, taxes etc?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast