User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    Now I'm even more confused. I know that the main line in can deliver a lot of amps but we can only use (draw) up to 50 amps. Anything over 50 amps will cause the breaker to blow, so we can never draw 100 amps even though more than that is delivered by the electrical company.
    this is only with a 50 amp plug a 30 amp can only pull 30 amps

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen!

My son and I decided that it would be OK to simply hook up my GD 310 to a dryer outlet. It kind of worked OK -- but blew out the inverter and the fridge would not run on electricity any longer. Fortunately GD helped me out under warranty but this had the potential to end tragically.

And, of course, the owner's manual does not help a lot in clarifying this.

For the future I am saying I need a 120v/50a hook-up.
    New RVers
    2016 Ford F-250 SRW
    2017 Solitude 310GK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30 amp -50 amp

[QUOTE=SJMaye;247955]I am totally new and want to understand what the RV dealer told me when I bought my GD TT. She said if we were going to wire a dedicated outlet at our home for the TT to be sure we understood how it is to be wired as it could wreck our TT electrical system.

Let me state what I think I know and please confirm or correct me. The confusion for an RV outlet is that it looks like a dryer plug outlet which is 220V AC. However, the wiring and power for an RV are the same as wiring an outlet in your home at 110V AC. The only difference is the outlet type you run the wires to. Is this c

]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wireing diagram 50amp 30amp.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	21749

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlreaa View Post
    Let me state what I think I know and please confirm or correct me. The confusion for an RV outlet is that it looks like a dryer plug outlet which is 220V AC. However, the wiring and power for an RV are the same as wiring an outlet in your home at 110V AC. The only difference is the outlet type you run the wires to. Is this correct?

]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wireing diagram 50amp 30amp.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	21749
    Yes. Your diagram looks correct.

My house is older and the 240VAC dryer outlet does NOT work for plugging in an RV since it's wired for 240VAC between the angled contacts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4553.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	21752

Can see the slight differences between the 120VAC 30A NEMA TT-30R and the 3 wire 240VAC wire dryer NEMA 10-30R outlets.
    120VAC NEMA TT-30R Outlet:

Name:	NEMA TT-30R 30A 125V RV Outlet.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	21753

240VAC NEMA 10-30R Outlet:

Name:	NEMA 10-30R 30A 125-250V Outlet.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	21754

This post shows how a correctly wired 4 wire dryer outlet could temporarily run an RV.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...40v-dryer-plug
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    To help cool the fridge, I put a frozen gallon of water in the freezer and the refrigerator. Gas seems to cool quicker then electric for most rigs. We would turn it on 12 to 24 hours before we are going to load it. KEN
    That is a great tip. Unfortunately I did not follow it on my maiden voyage this week. On shore power it took about 24 hours to reach ~37 degrees in the frig.

I think I will start the frig with propane at home a day or so before leaving. That way I can safely load food in it before leaving on the trip.
    2016 Ford F-150
    2020 Grand Design 2500RL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was that a 4 prong dryer outlet or a 3 prong? A 3 prong would require a local ground rod and a then a wire lead from the ground rod to the ground prong on the 50 amp input to the camper.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cygnussailor View Post
    Was that a 4 prong dryer outlet or a 3 prong? A 3 prong would require a local ground rod and a then a wire lead from the ground rod to the ground prong on the 50 amp input to the camper.
    This is NOT a correct solution. A 3 prong dryer circuit is missing the neutral wire, not the ground wire.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct! I was thinking about the plug I have in my garage which was expressly installed for the purpose of backfeeding my home with a Honda 5000 watt generator. In my case it is the neutral which is the 3rd conductor. I forgot that isn't the same as a dryer outlet. Thanks for correcting me.

Gary

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post

I should add for clarity line AC voltage is typically 110 -125 VAC.

The problem comes from people wiring the receptacles wrong. I have also heard of people who hired an electrician to wire up an RV outlet and they did it wrong and blew their RV. The vast majority of electricians know what they are doing.
    I had to laugh when I read this statement. I built a custom home last year and had a 30 Amp RV outlet on the side of the house. I also wanted it "upgradable" to 50. the electrician who wired my house was sure the an outlet with this size wires was to be 240 volts. the condensors on my power converters literally blew up when I plugged the trailer in. took out the microwave as well. lesson learned, so this has been a useful thread
    Subbury, Ohio
    Imagine 2800bh
    2019 Silverado 1500

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2670 gd tt and has a 50 amp plug, in fact it only has 1 a/c unit and requires 30 amp as presently equipped, having said that, I purchased 50 to 30 amp cord and then plug a 30 amp rv extension cord and use a simple 30 to 15 amp cord end adapter to the wall out, when parked, no a/c ever runs, but everything else can and does. No breakers are ever tripped.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast