Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Weights 2020 260RD Reflection

The wet lead battery that came with this unit weights a ton. At my age, I need to either install a solar panel to keep it charged so I do not have to remove it each time I return from a trip or replace this battery with the following:
    Battle Born Batteries LiFePO4 12 Volt Deep Cycle Battery

Versatile for use in many applications and battery systems
    Long lifespan
    Maintenance-free, leak proof and spill proof design
    Can be mounted on any position
    Can supply continued power and works well as energy storage for solar applications
    The housing might not be that durable

I have read that while not cheap, it's performance and recharging ability is outstanding and it's weight..29 lbs. I have not weighed that which came with my unit, but I know it is more than 29 lbs. The size of the battery and opening in the front storage area is fairly large..larger than most common 12V batteries.. Either way, I have also read about the weak support in that front compartment and may add a 1/2 plywood structure to help with the weight issue in that area.

BUT...I have read that or failed to understand...that my converter may not be able to charge this type of battery. I would think that the converter is able to charge any 12V battery.. Am I correct or incorrect on this point. AND..with either battery, should I go ahead and move in installing a 100W solar unit with MPPT, etc to keep the battery charged and not concern myself with removing it...while I think the Battle Born battery might be better even in that environment. Comments suggestions welcome! Tks

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC, Li batts do not like freezing temps, so that and the price led me to AGMs, which are maintenance free and don't need equalization.
    Not sure why you need to R&R it after every trip though. A good converter with 4 stage charging will keep the old batt in line or like you said, some solar setup with the 4th stage, equalization once a month. No need for MPPT with 100W, IIRC.
    For one batt, the stock battery box is fine. For 2, you do need to remove that battery hole, lol
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't there a concern about overcharging without a controller? Here in NC we rarely get temps at or below freezing and in the winter with no planned RV trips, I'd remove the battery anyway and trickly change once a month while it was in the garage. I was also looking at the other battery at 29lbs, being more movable without impacting my back. Sorry..but what do you mean by equalization? I have a weak understanding of this area....and have been researching solar for some time. But the converter in this 2020 260RD will charge other than a wet lead battery. I assume you have the same converter in your unit.

Side question: How do you get the closing in your posts..ie., name, RV, truck...etc?
    Last edited by terryriddle; 09-03-2020 at 01:17 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm no Li expert but I think they need a special charger or converter.
    Yes, a controller is needed but it could be a solar PWM which is much less costly than an MPPT.
    Equalization charging is like overcharging to keep old wet batts from deteriorating with time. A 4 stage charger or converter will do this and our units only come with a 3 stage converter.
    I hear you on the back strain brother and I don't plan of removing my AGMs until they die several years from now, knock on wood.
    Do you have access to shore power for your unit during storage?
    Create a signature by going up to settings on the upper right and then go to signature on left side of the next page...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    I'm no Li expert but I think they need a special charger or converter.
    Yes, a controller is needed but it could be a solar PWM which is much less costly than an MPPT.
    Equalization charging is like overcharging to keep old wet batts from deteriorating with time. A 4 stage charger or converter will do this and our units only come with a 3 stage converter.
    I hear you on the back strain brother and I don't plan of removing my AGMs until they die several years from now, knock on wood.
    Do you have access to shore power for your unit during storage?
    Create a signature by going up to settings on the upper right and then go to signature on left side of the next page...
    Thanks Don.. I will send a message to GrandDesign tech regarding the existing converter in my 260RD. I think I had read somewhere the converter in our units will not charge a Li battery. If I had a solar in place I could keep the AGM charged year round regardless of temp. That would be nice and with the main purpose to maintain a battery, 100W kit would work just fine. I do not have access to shore power when in storage....

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend this one for the wet batt or an AGM;
    https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Monocr...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I had it on 2 previous units but with 200W.
    I now upgraded to their 400W w/MPPT deluxe kit.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Grandesigner; 09-03-2020 at 02:15 PM.
    Dan and Rita

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Dan.. I looked at that kit and it was rated number 1 or 2 in a number of ratings. GrandDesign referred me to Jaboni for a 300W panel (not mono either) at $774 with their 30A MPPT at $181. I can get the Renogy 100W Mono panel starter kit with 40A Rover MPPT for $310. The only reason I would go with the 40A Rover is to permit myself growth in case I go crazy. I would still utilize the prewiring by Jaboni and their 30A inline fuse... For 100W I realize that is overkill. The only issue is had with Renogy was they seemed to have 100W panels and if you wanted 200 or 400, you had to install two or four panels.. I did not see a 30A Rover MPPT offered by Renogy. I do recall them having a 200W panel and they have a downsized 100W mono panel. You have been very helpful. Tks.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know where you got the idea to remove the battery after each trip. Using one of these attached at the terminal posts on the back wall is much easier. With an extension cord run to it out once a week or so being enough to maintain a charge.
    https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende...hargers-pcr-20
    I have two classic cars and my 260RD each with one of these doing battery tending.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not that easy since the storage area is a couple of hundred yards away. I have a charger that does a great job...just have to bring the battery to it.
    Last edited by terryriddle; 09-03-2020 at 03:54 PM.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dan, what AGM battery did you go with, for how long, and any comments on the AGM. The Li will require me to get a unique charger when I bring it home for the winter and I think the converter in my unit will not charge a Li..but will see that GrandDesign says. Your right, the Li batteries are great and ratings are high and if you you a poor rating, it seems to be a failure of the product and requirement to mail it back for inspection...a timely effort and expense for shipping.
    Last edited by terryriddle; 09-03-2020 at 03:58 PM.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast