User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lube your Schwintek slide couplers!

I just resolved a loud squeaking issue when our slide was moving in or out. After back and forth emails with Jay at GD and Ashten at Lippert, I finally found the problem and fixed it for $17.

Apparently the couplers and gibs for the slide motors had not been lubed in a long time, if ever. Water got in there and rusted them, and so when the motors turned the couplers, they rubbed against the block and squealed. I removed both motors and couplers, cleaned them up with solvent, then lubed with CRC Power Lube with PTFE (that's the $17) and the noise is gone and slide moves smoothly.

I'm sure a dealer would have loved to charge $200-300 for the same work, but I like learning and I can probably do a better and more thorough job than a dealer anyway.

If you have a Schwintek slide system (it has the two horizontal aluminum gear guides with the squiggly slots on each side), then Lippert has a video on this page on how to lube it, called "In-WallŪ Lubricating Mechanisms".

https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great info - thanks for sharing. I'm taking my rig out this weekend and plan to do some maintenance.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, maintenance on these RV is still a thing.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what's the procedure for removing the motors and couplers? I have 2 Schwintek slides.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    So what's the procedure for removing the motors and couplers? I have 2 Schwintek slides.
    You don't have to remove the motors to lube them; in my case I removed them because I could not figure out where the squeaking sound was coming from -- the GD and Lippert techs thought it was from the wipe seals rubbing but it ended up being the couplers.

You'll need a phillips head screwdriver, flat head screwdriver, needle nose pliers, cleaning solvent like WD-40, steel wool or very fine sandpaper, double-sided foam tape, CRC Power Lube with PTFE

1) Extend slide out about 12". From this point, to keep the slide in sync, do not move the slide or power up the motors until they are back in place.
    2) On the outside, slide the vertical bulb seals down about 12" to access a screw in the seal track near the top and remove it.
    3) On the inside, pull back the top of the vertical wipe seal (it's attached with double-sided foam tape) about 12" to access the motor.
    4) Locate the wire connector from the top of the motor and disconnect it.
    5) I used a sharpie to make a mark on the motor so I could orient it back in the same position.
    6) Use a flat blade screwdriver to lift the motor up off the coupler and tilt the bottom toward you to remove the motor.
    7) Use needle-nose pliers to pull the coupler up and out of the block.

I used some 600 grit sandpaper or steel wool and WD-40 to get the rust off the couplers and the blocks where they sit. Then wiped them down and sprayed with the CRC Power Lube with PTFE.

When putting back together, I put the coupler onto the motor and lined up the mark on the motor in the way I had removed it. Then I removed the coupler from the motor and inserted it into the block so that it was in the same orientation that it was removed. If it doesn't drop all the way down into the block, you may have to jiggle the slide a bit to get the coupler to line up and drop onto the shaft. The rest of the install is the reverse of the removal. You'll need the foam tape to reattach the wipe seal to the H-channel on the inside.

The diagrams of the slide system on the Lippert site I linked to helped with visualizing where all the parts are and how they connect. It's a good idea to re-sync the motors when you're done -- the procedure is on the Lippert site and in your Lippert manual.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bryan!
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bryancass View Post
    I just resolved a loud squeaking issue when our slide was moving in or out. After back and forth emails with Jay at GD and Ashten at Lippert, I finally found the problem and fixed it for $17.

Apparently the couplers and gibs for the slide motors had not been lubed in a long time, if ever. Water got in there and rusted them, and so when the motors turned the couplers, they rubbed against the block and squealed. I removed both motors and couplers, cleaned them up with solvent, then lubed with CRC Power Lube with PTFE (that's the $17) and the noise is gone and slide moves smoothly.

I'm sure a dealer would have loved to charge $200-300 for the same work, but I like learning and I can probably do a better and more thorough job than a dealer anyway.

If you have a Schwintek slide system (it has the two horizontal aluminum gear guides with the squiggly slots on each side), then Lippert has a video on this page on how to lube it, called "In-WallŪ Lubricating Mechanisms".

https://support.lci1.com/in-wall-slide-out
    I thank you for the link.. A number of interesting videos. One video stated something that manuals do not state nor at a walk-thru with a dealer. Now I wonder which is correct, the video or manual/human instruction. The video states to move the slide out, you push the extend button until the motors stop and then....hold it three or five seconds more to permit any slide motor adjustment. Failure to do this can cause the motors to not be in sync..and then advised how to bring them back in sync. Manual and instruction say hold the button until the motors stop and then release. At the walk-thru, it was stated hold button until the motors stop and release. So..do you hold 3-5 seconds after the motors stop or not? The video implied we you do not..the motors can get out of sync. ??
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    I thank you for the link.. A number of interesting videos. One video stated something that manuals do not state nor at a walk-thru with a dealer. Now I wonder which is correct, the video or manual/human instruction. The video states to move the slide out, you push the extend button until the motors stop and then....hold it three or five seconds more to permit any slide motor adjustment. Failure to do this can cause the motors to not be in sync..and then advised how to bring them back in sync. Manual and instruction say hold the button until the motors stop and then release. At the walk-thru, it was stated hold button until the motors stop and release. So..do you hold 3-5 seconds after the motors stop or not? The video implied we you do not..the motors can get out of sync. ??
    I think the idea with the button and motors is to hold the button until they both stop. So the video saying 3-5 seconds is an exaggeration of that. Just hold it until they both have stopped - I don't think there's any point to holding it several seconds after both motors have shut off.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was instructed by the service tech to hold the button for 3 sec after opening or closing slide. Have done it this way for the 2 1/2 years I’ve owned it
    John & Joanne
    2018 Solitude 374TH
    2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax CC DRW
    2001 Harley Ultra Classic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast