User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 2450RL Hitch Weight

How is it that the everything I read says the hitch weight should be 10-15% of the total weight GVWR of the trailer (in this case the 2450RL Imagine total weight is 7,495 lbs) but the hitch weight is 580 lbs?

This seems to be way light. By my math you would think, at just 10%, the hitch weight would be closer to 750 lbs. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    How is it that the everything I read says the hitch weight should be 10-15% of the total weight GVWR of the trailer (in this case the 2450RL Imagine total weight is 7,495 lbs) but the hitch weight is 580 lbs?

This seems to be way light. By my math you would think, at just 10%, the hitch weight would be closer to 750 lbs. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks in advance.
    The advertised hitch weight is a dry bare bone tt out of the factory. No battery, no lp tanks, no water.... at the cat scale, our 22mle weight in at 12.6% when loaded for 5 day trip with 1/3 water and full lp tanks.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. Its really appreciated!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything is goin great we had our first trip (short run @ 100miles and everything handled well, no obvious problems with breaking, sway, and steering. Please remember I'm a beginner.

For what it is worth I constructed a bathroom scale tongue weight device and I got just under 600#. The TT is only minimally loaded, all tanks are essentially empty, LP tanks practically full, and battery.
    After I did that I stood on the tongue it went the appropriate amount. The only thing I had to raise the tongue high so to fit the spacer I had cut and the TT wasn't level (tilted to rear). For which I believe is giving a lower reading. I will do it again with a more level setup.

I plan to stop at a set scales to determine exactly sooner than later.

Probably will do another scale test this week providing the storm stays west of us.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance.
    We pull a 2020 2450rl
    We have weighed it several times and loaded for camping with empty water tanks
    our tongue weight runs 945 to 990 lbs.
    Last edited by attaboy; 10-07-2020 at 04:06 PM.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana H View Post
    Everything is goin great we had our first trip (short run @ 100miles and everything handled well, no obvious problems with breaking, sway, and steering. Please remember I'm a beginner.

For what it is worth I constructed a bathroom scale tongue weight device and I got just under 600#. The TT is only minimally loaded, all tanks are essentially empty, LP tanks practically full, and battery.
    After I did that I stood on the tongue it went the appropriate amount. The only thing I had to raise the tongue high so to fit the spacer I had cut and the TT wasn't level (tilted to rear). For which I believe is giving a lower reading. I will do it again with a more level setup.

I plan to stop at a set scales to determine exactly sooner than later.

Probably will do another scale test this week providing the storm stays west of us.
    My suspicion is that your front is way too high.
    My WDH weighs approx 200 lbs.
    I am by no means an expert.
    We initially towed with a ram 1500 and it was very uncomfortable
    with sway, wind blowing me all over the road. We invested in a ProPride hitch
    which cured the sway and most of the wind problems.
    We upgraded to a 3500 because we want to take long road trips and I wanted to
    be comfortable and more in control.
    Hope this helps and welcome to the forum:

P.S.
    We are also new to towing a TT and our experience is very different when travelling on state / county roads versus expressways.
    When we 1st purchased we limited ourselves to campgrounds within 250 to 300 miles from home. We used primarily state highways and
    had no problem whatsoever. No sway, no wind no braking or control problems. But we were usually driving at 55 MPH. When we ventured onto
    expressways it was completly different. Big trucks passing along with wind and driving around 65 MPH it was white knuckle and I felt
    that I had very little control. As I said earlier the Propride WDH solved most of those problems but I still did not feel that I had proper
    control with emergency braking and the truck did not feel secure enough for me to take it on a long trip. We recently completed a trip to
    Illinois and I caught myself driving with one hand in the new truck.

Bob A.
    Last edited by attaboy; 10-07-2020 at 04:26 PM.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance.
    We have the same trailer as you and I had it weighed in September on the return trip. With our clothes, food, chairs, Blackstone grill, tools, extra propane tank and a propane fire pit the trailer weighted 6400lbs the 7495lbs you quoted is the max weight I believe the spec on the door say about 1600lbs capacity which puts the trailer in about 5800lbs with 2 propane tanks and battery. Our total weight of truck and trailer was 13,644lbs.

Ken
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package
    Eaz-Lift Elite WD Hitch 14,000lb capacity 1,200lb bars

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iproff1 View Post
    We have the same trailer as you and I had it weighed in September on the return trip. With our clothes, food, chairs, Blackstone grill, tools, extra propane tank and a propane fire pit the trailer weighted 6400lbs the 7495lbs you quoted is the max weight I believe the spec on the door say about 1600lbs capacity which puts the trailer in about 5800lbs with 2 propane tanks and battery. Our total weight of truck and trailer was 13,644lbs.

Ken
    How much was the tongue weight?

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana H View Post

For what it is worth I constructed a bathroom scale tongue weight device and I got just under 600#.
    These are handy: https://www.sherline.com/product/she...-weight-scale/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    How much was the tongue weight?

675 a lot in the basement.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL
    Wasaga Beach Ontario Canada
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 Trailer Tow Package