Thread: Propane Pricing

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Propane out west is sold by the gallon.
    The cheapest I have found, is $1.49 a gallon in Redmond, Oregon. Most everywhere else, the price is $2.59 to $2.79 or so. KEN
    $4.25 A gallon at the KOA in Green river Utah. And the suburban distribution center is about 1/4 mile away, so there should be no massive transportation costs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in Southern CA paying just over $4 per gallon. They will fill to full. But we did have an over expansion problem in Death Valley. Late spring, temperatures climbing, and below sea level. Unhooked tank and ran them out into the desert. Ranger saw me and said it happens all the time. So 80% rule worth following in Furnace Creek.
    2020 Reflection 150 240 RL
    2020 Ford F-250 4WD Crew Cab Diesel
    2004 Dodge 2500 2wd crew cab Diesel
    2000 Carver 450 Voyager Motor Yacht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I paid $3.19 a gallon to refill both 30lb tanks on my Reflection 31MB. I just had a single refill here at the home base in NC and it cost $20.xx so less than $2.80 / gal inc tax. Still expensive to me but I have a family friend who works for a propane company that's going to take care of me from this point forward

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get a completely full tank. Is it best to have them filled in the morning when the tanks are cool? Or doesn't it matter if they are warm or cool?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jlove1974 View Post
    I paid $3.19 a gallon to refill both 30lb tanks on my Reflection 31MB. I just had a single refill here at the home base in NC and it cost $20.xx so less than $2.80 / gal inc tax. Still expensive to me but I have a family friend who works for a propane company that's going to take care of me from this point forward
    So, it's still who you know, not what you know. Good thinking.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    To get a completely full tank. Is it best to have them filled in the morning when the tanks are cool? Or doesn't it matter if they are warm or cool?
    It does not matter, Propane is under pressure and the outside temperature does not effect the volume inside the tank, unlike gasoline which is at atmospheric pressure and filling early in the morning from a cold underground tank can get you a little bit more volume when the cold gas warms up inside your tank.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    For a 30# cylinder, you will find that they take anywhere from 6.8 to 7.4 gallons depending on the temperature of the cylinder and the calibration of the meter of the filling station. You may often find that they take on the higher amounts when they are colder, and the lower amounts when they are hotter.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The other thing to remember is in the south you are probably buying Butane, not Propane. If it is winter and you headed north be very careful. Butane does not work very well at cold temps. I don't remember the exact number, but I think it will not change from liquid to gas below 31 or 32 degrees F.

Now as for pricing I have learned to bypass Ameragas stations. They tend to have higher prices than others, and KOA has always been the highest. However if your out and need to cook or stay warm, any propane filling station you can find is a welcome site.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $2.50 gallon in my part of Texas. At our vacation place in southern CO we paid $3.50 gallon
    $2.49 gallon @ 4.2 lbs gallon is .83 per lb
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    The other thing to remember is in the south you are probably buying Butane, not Propane. If it is winter and you headed north be very careful. Butane does not work very well at cold temps. I don't remember the exact number, but I think it will not change from liquid to gas below 31 or 32 degrees F.

Now as for pricing I have learned to bypass Ameragas stations. They tend to have higher prices than others, and KOA has always been the highest. However if your out and need to cook or stay warm, any propane filling station you can find is a welcome site.
    We haven't bought butane here in Texas for probably 40 years. Our tank is buried so propane was ok since it freezes. They then sold us a mixture of propane and butane and finally only propane. I don't know anyone that sells butane any more
    Donald AKA johndeerefarmer
    2020 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel
    2017 F150 ecoboost max tow
    2016 Reflection 29RS VIN# 573FR322XG3305717

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123