User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AGM Battery Upgrade

I've been offered 2 AGM batteries for free. What I don't know is can I do a direct replacement without changing the power inverter or converter.
    Thanks.
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. Any other questions?

2018 F-250 6.7L Leveled, 35’s.
    2019 Imagine 2500RL, 640w Solar, Lion UT1300s, 3000w Inverter
    CRE3000, Sumosprings

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip94ta View Post
    Yes. Any other questions?
    Not yet. Thanks.
    Tom & Misty - Dover, FL
    Gracie, the Black Lab 🐶
    2020 Solitude 344 GK-R
    2018 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 6.7L Cummins CC/LB/DRW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm buy a new 2600rv GD and plan to use 2 new AGM batteries, what type of Invertor is needed for them to run correctly? Should I assume the one that automatically comes with the TT is okay to use as is? Really confused.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    So I'm buy a new 2600rv GD and plan to use 2 new AGM batteries, what type of Invertor is needed for them to run correctly? Should I assume the one that automatically comes with the TT is okay to use as is? Really confused.
    You probably mean to say "converter". The converter is the device that accepts shore power and distributes it to charge the batteries and power the 120V circuits in your trailer, and distributes 12V power from the batteries to 12V circuits when not plugged into shore power.

An "inverter" will be factory-installed only if you have the residential fridge option. An inverter converts 12V power from the batteries to 120V power. There are inverter/chargers on the market that do both jobs but it's nearly certain that you won't have one of those in your new trailer - they cost five times or more what a converter costs.

The short answer is that both converter and inverter (if you have one) will continue to live OK with your new AGM batteries.

However to get the very most out of your batteries some would argue that you should replace the converter. The WFCO units typically installed by Grand Design are OK - there are millions of them in use and they have a decent three-stage charging system in them. More-advanced converters offer four-stage charging and other features to more-accurately give the batteries what they need to prolong their life. The following company sells popular replacement converters.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/

However this isn't a must-do. I've been running four 6V Trojan batteries on our OEM WFCO 9855 converter for several years, which is more work than the converter should have to do and which has likely shortened the life of my batteries because they are not being optimally charged. But we're still chugging along.

Good luck with your choices.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for giving me that information it’s really appreciated and yes you’re right I should’ve said converter! My bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Question: If your two 12 volt AGM batteries were used down to 1/2 power/strength, how much time would you need to be driving to get them back to 100%.
    I know this may seem like a odd question but I'm really new at this. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Question: If your two 12 volt AGM batteries were used down to 1/2 power/strength, how much time would you need to be driving to get them back to 100%.
    I know this may seem like a odd question but I'm really new at this. Thanks in advance.
    Not really answerable in a definitive way. Stock alternators are designed to mildly charge a lightly discharged battery - replacing what was used for a normal startup. Many are not made to stand up long term to constantly doing deeper recharges. Total time depends on a host of factors - the size of the battery, the alternator, the comparatively small wires going to the trailer (vs the big ones to the truck battery), the speed the engine is going at, what other truck electrical things are being used, and more. Others that have actually monitored this can respond, but at a guess, I'd hazard that even a long day (8-10 hrs) at highway speeds might not do it for two medium sized batteries......
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.
    I guess the best thing to do is make sure they are fully charged before I leave one campsite to drive to the next.
    I'm sure I'll have more dumb questions in the future but in the mean time, "thanks again".

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AGMs are just a newer form of the old skool lead acid battery that are supposed to charge quicker and don't need the 4th stage of charging, equalization, AFAIK. The nice thing about them is that they are truly sealed and don't need to be topped off or be very level. They do have a vent if something goes very wrong. They have been my choice for years now as I don't want to go the lithium route.
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast