User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I came here to learn, both the good and the bad, in order to make a decision which has a significant financial impact on us. If I look at RV reviews, pretty much every manufacturer is 4 star other than they are all the same. I hope that one person's desire to sell a GD unit due to a number of issues (all of which are informative) is not sufficient to "moderate". I'm not a camp follower. I have no desire to go to GD sponsored events. I have a desire to determine if our decision to purchase an expensive alternative to a second home is in our best interests - keeping in mind covid and the fact that our relatives are spread coast to coast, not to mention the beauty of everything in between. I can perform some maintenance, but not everything. So build quality is an important issue. From what I have learned, GD may be a little ahead of the competition - but all rules are off now and these conversations I don't consider to be bashing but informative. Just sayin.
    Absolutely agree. We have to see the good and bad stuff or we're flying blind (or sticking our head in the sand).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I came here to learn, both the good and the bad, in order to make a decision which has a significant financial impact on us. If I look at RV reviews, pretty much every manufacturer is 4 star other than they are all the same. I hope that one person's desire to sell a GD unit due to a number of issues (all of which are informative) is not sufficient to "moderate". I'm not a camp follower. I have no desire to go to GD sponsored events. I have a desire to determine if our decision to purchase an expensive alternative to a second home is in our best interests - keeping in mind covid and the fact that our relatives are spread coast to coast, not to mention the beauty of everything in between. I can perform some maintenance, but not everything. So build quality is an important issue. From what I have learned, GD may be a little ahead of the competition - but all rules are off now and these conversations I don't consider to be bashing but informative. Just sayin.
    You make very good points in trying to look for balanced reviews. Try to also take into consideration that reviews on forums like this are but a subset of the entire population of Grand Design owners. It’s the same with other RV forums as well, be it Forest River, Jayco, etc. There are owners who just haven’t experienced significant issues to feel the need to post a review.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger1 View Post
    You make very good points in trying to look for balanced reviews. Try to also take into consideration that reviews on forums like this are but a subset of the entire population of Grand Design owners. It’s the same with other RV forums as well, be it Forest River, Jayco, etc. There are owners who just haven’t experienced significant issues to feel the need to post a review.
    Yep. If you go to RV Insider and look at 5th wheel reviews (2805 for many brands), they all rate 4 stars. Yet when you read through the individual issues I don't know how they get to that rating. It's all subjective anyway. Some of the issues should have been picked up in PDI and weren't but buyers rate the manufacturer very low in quality. Others are problematic but it seems that peoples tolerances to any repair vary greatly. Don't think you can draw any micro-conclusions from reading them, but you might be able to draw some macro-trends. That's about the best I would hope for. I don't see anything obvious but am concerned about potential trends due to supplier replacement as a result of covid. That won't likely show up for a couple of years though.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In those reviews how many issues are not manufacture related? I see many people complain about the fridge, stove, etc giving them trouble. Those are not manufacture build issues. Big difference between a spring tire going flat vs screws pulling out of trim. Or door fronts installed crooked vs the message portion of the sofa quits working.
    Too many owners think anything that goes wrong is the manufactures fault.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    In those reviews how many issues are not manufacture related? I see many people complain about the fridge, stove, etc giving them trouble. Those are not manufacture build issues. Big difference between a spring tire going flat vs screws pulling out of trim. Or door fronts installed crooked vs the message portion of the sofa quits working.
    Too many owners think anything that goes wrong is the manufactures fault.
    I am of the belief that since the manufacturer chose the parts and components to install, assemble and build their trailer they are the one responsible to be sure it, as a whole, is a dependable, functioning piece and to back it should it fail. Did you get a choice or offered alternatives as to which fridge, stove, windows, wheels, axles or tires to be put on your trailer? I had issues with all of these and I was sluffed off to a third party to deal with each. If they build a trailer and warranty against defect then they need to stand behind the whole thing and make sure it gets made right. One point of contact, not some hodge-podge free -for-all to get things taken care of. Heck the 12 cu.ft. Dometic refrigerator was a forced option in my case. What the heck is a "forced option"? I had heard of all the cooling issues with that model beforehand and spent a lot of time and effort to make it work. In this case it is the manufacture, GD at fault for not expending time or effort to engineer an installation that functions. And they knew it for a long time. GM doesn't tell you to call Delco to take care of that alternator when it fails do they?
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 11-26-2020 at 12:11 AM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its kind of almost amusing. I know of no other industry that does what the rv industry does. If you buy a car, does the manufacturer send you to say Allison if you have trans issues, or to the ac compressor company when that goes out? No, they warrant the product they sell to you. Lots of people compare these rigs to houses, not so much, and even if you did, people who buy from new builders get a warranty.

Manufacturers need to step up. I have heard great things from GD CS. Never dealt with them. I have dealt with others with less than stellar results, and the dealer network, atrocious. That issue is just as big or bigger than the manufacturer. Imagine taking your TV to the dealer only to be told, Sorry" since you didn't buy here, nope, not going to work on it.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    I am of the belief that since the manufacturer chose the parts and components to install, assemble and build their trailer they are the one responsible to be sure it, as a whole, is a dependable, functioning piece and to back it should it fail. Did you get a choice or offered alternatives as to which fridge, stove, windows, wheels, axles or tires to be put on your trailer? I had issues with all of these and I was sluffed off to a third party to deal with each. If they build a trailer and warranty against defect then they need to stand behind the whole thing and make sure it gets made right. One point of contact, not some hodge-podge free -for-all to get things taken care of. Heck the 12 cu.ft. Dometic refrigerator was a forced option in my case. What the heck is a "forced option"? I had heard of all the cooling issues with that model beforehand and spent a lot of time and effort to make it work. In this case it is the manufacture, GD at fault for not expending time or effort to engineer an installation that functions. And they knew it for a long time. GM doesn't tell you to call Delco to take care of that alternator when it fails do they?
    ^^^^
    What he said

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife an I are heading to the General RV dealership in Jacksonville on Wednesday to pickup our brand new Solitude 310gk. Reading posts like these make me wonder if that will be my fate as well, but I have to be optimistic and hope these months of planning have prepared us for anything that comes our way with the delivery. I will keep everyone posted with our experiences at General RV.

Mark and Rebecca
    Mark and Rebecca
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited CrewCab 8 Ft. Bed 6.7 HO 4wd B&W Companion Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    It would be helpful for people to know which location you started at before moving to the Ocala location. Which location in any chain can make a world of difference as well as your service writer.

We also purchased from General. Our location is in Mt Clemens, MI and we had great service along with a very good service advisor. (she is now the manager of service) They rarely had our trailer for more than a few days to a week but most of our warranty items were not that drastic and very few. Maybe 5 items. Maybe this is the difference between 2014 and 2019 production??

We had gone to FL to visit family while General had our trailer in for service, they completed the job in the usual fast time frame and we still were not in MI. The snow started, we returned after a month and it kept snowing, it was so deep we couldn't get the trailer in the drive and they stored our trailer for us free for 2 months until there was a thaw
    We purchased our 2020 Grand Design at General RV Brownstown, MI and to this point, have had great service. I needed couple of small parts that were noticed during the walk-through and they arrived within a couple of weeks.

Just before a trip, 3 people worked in the parking lot trying to get my back-up camera to function when they finally tried a new adaptor (2019 Silverado’s require an adaptor), which solved the problem. Turns out my first adaptor was faulty.

Again, to this point, I’m very happy with General RV.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased my solitude in June. I was on the fence on this and another product but sat thru the sales pitch about how “grand design is quality”. Sat thru that long enough and got up to walk away twice before General lowering the price an additional $10,000. So now after 8 warranty trips back and the final one being water dripping out of the belly and General Rv solution was to silicone all the weep holes in the belly closed and then tell me it no longer drips GD is having me bring it to the factory for repairs because apparently after over $15,000 in warranty repairs they have had enough of General working on it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast