User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear ladder on Trailer

New to having a ladder on the rear of my trailer. I worry that while the trailer is in storage someone could climb the ladder and damage things on the roof. Is there any way to prevent someone from doing this?
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You *could* put Anti-Climb Panels (like what is used on Rohn towers and such to keep people from climbing them) on there, but I'd suggest moving the RV to a better storage place instead if you are worried about that?
    2018 Solitude 3740BH
    2013 Ram 3500 DRW

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would someone go through the trouble of climbing on the roof to damage something when it would be easier to just damage stuff from the ground?
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the unit is stored near others, better make sure everyone has disabled their ladders, I could see the type of vandal you speak of jumping from rig to rig. Not sure how you could stop someone from getting on the roof if they really want to. The good news, or maybe the bad news is that with lots of stowage hatches keyed with the infamous CH751 and most RV entry doors popped open with a pry bar it is tough to protect it all.
    Last edited by Skiddy; 07-04-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the responses. There are not many storage areas in this small community so moving is not possible. Why would anybody climb on the roof instead of doing damage from the ground? Why would anybody damage other peoples property at all? Do you try to lock up anything you can? I was hoping someone with a little ingenuity might have thought of and came up with a unique solution. Sorry
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have never experienced or heard of anyone else of having that type of a problem. Never having thought about it I have never thought about trying to do something to stop it from happening.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone climbing on the roof to cause damage should be the least of your worries. There is a much higher chance of someone stealing your propane tanks, batteries, spare tire, breaking in and stealing your TV's or personal belongings.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in a good storage facility several years ago and someone DID use the ladder to climb on top of several RV's and break the skylights and vents. They also did a bunch of damage to the boats stored there. They did not try to get into the RV's they were just there to do as much damage as possible. Good thing all covered by insurance, bad thing took several months for the repairs to be completed. Yes, the storage facility had a monitoring system but it was not effective at night. The police got a partial plate and the model of the car, but no information on the outcome. Storage facility added razor wire on the fence and upgraded the monitoring system, so I guess that was a plus.

You can protect your property as well as possible, but if someone wants to vandalize property blocking the ladder or chaining the propane tanks is not going to stop them. Be a visible as you can in the storage area, go at different times of the day and vary your days to go. Most of the time these guys are watching the place to see the best time to do damage.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @papermakermd,

Maybe you could just store your portable waste tank fastened to your ladder:

https://www.thetford.com/product/tot...-ladder-mount/

Someone would have to go through the effort of removing the tank before they would be able to climb the ladder.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank's to everyone who responded to this post. I have not had a problem at this storage site in the two years I've been there. The ladder issue just gave me something else to think about. I take the battery home after every trip and the gas bottles are locked on the trailer. The spare seems relatively safe being under the trailer I guess I could lock it also. I check the trailer often but don't always climb the ladder to check vent covers. I started to worry about this possibility after the vent covers on my other trailer disintegrated after two years. I was very lucky to catch them before we had a major storm the next day. This would have been a disaster for the trailer. I do have Maxxair covers on this trailer.
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast