Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: X Chocks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

X Chocks

X Chocks
    Has anyone used the X chocks and what was their thoughts. How do they work and do they work well?

Thanks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They work extremely well. The only way the trailer will move is if the wheels slide.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We like them. They seem to help to stabilize the trailer, and it doesn’t seem to move as much when one of us is walking around and the other is sitting. I often don’t bother with them if I’m camping alone, but always take the time to put them on if we are both there.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. We’ve used them for quite a few years and love them. Make sure you are also using wheel chocks as well. The X Chocks are only to help stabilize, not to stop a trailer from rolling.
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Xchocks didn’t really help much with our trailer stabilization. Steadyfast did the trick for us.
    Eric & Sandra
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK
    2000 Ford Excursion 7.3 Diesel 4x4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a set. They work very well on a level site. If your site is unlevel and your leveler jacks raise the wheels too much they simply fall off during the leveling process. That’s the one con I find with them.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjohn5801 View Post
    X Chocks
    Has anyone used the X chocks and what was their thoughts. How do they work and do they work well?
    Thanks.
    I'm surprised at how many people feel the need to stabilize their trailer, like most of those who have responded so far to your question.

We hardly ever notice movement in our trailer when we are moving around. I'm a really big guy and my wife doesn't feel it when I move around, nor I when she does. We use blocks to shorten the extension of our jacks when setting up - that does help - but don't do anything else to stabilize.

Perhaps like you, when we started our trailer adventures several years ago I read about X-chocks and the enthusiasm for them and so I bought a pair before we picked up the trailer. They have never been used, not even once. Never felt the need for them, and certainly didn't want to carry them around or have the extra task of installing them and uninstalling them when setting up / breaking down camp.

So if you're not already feeling that your trailer is shaky and you absolutely have to do something about it, consider holding off until you get to that stage. You may find that you don't notice any instability, or may get used to whatever little bit of it there may be. The cost, weight, and setup/takedown hassle of chocks may not be worth it.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    I have a set. They work very well on a level site. If your site is unlevel and your leveler jacks raise the wheels too much they simply fall off during the leveling process. That’s the one con I find with them.
    Instructions say not to install before leveling and uninstall before hooking up just for this reason.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kjohn5801 View Post
    In my experience they work really well to prevent the RV from rolling away on un-level sites. Better than placing chocks behind the tires although I used both for safety!

As for stabilizing the RV - We used them on our first 5th wheel when we planned to stay for more than a few nights. Didn't use them for quick overnight stops. Couldn't really tell the difference so I stopped using them. I'm actually noticing more stability by using 6"x12"x15" blocks of wood under the jacks. For longer stays I add 2"x12"'s under the blocks. This shortens the leg extension which does seem to make the RV more stable.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    We level first then install the XChocks. They do loosen as the trailer settles and after a few hours it helps quite a bit if you snug them back up.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast