User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with Turning Point hitch block

Has anyone had issues with the hitch block coming out of the saddle? It has happened to us multiple times all on very bad bounces at highway speeds.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean the wedge? Are you using the wedge that came with the turning point? What type of fifth wheel hitch do you have? I'm asking because the wedge that comes with the turning point is more generic to fit a variety of hitches. Which means it does not do a great job. I have a Reese hitch and bought a Reese wedge that fits the hitch perfectly. Never had it move while towing and hitting some big bounces. Like ones going over bridges and want not. Get a custom wedge for your hitch. You will be happy and have space of mind while on the road.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are the available wedges. Screenshot and link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1603663488570
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20201025-180527.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	30395

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A year ago I had the issue and talked with Lipper and etrailer. The suggested to purchase a wedge for the Reese hitch, but still have the issue. I know I40 isn’t the smoothest but it’s still jumping out of the saddle. I’m going to call them again but not happy, so for now the wedge is out and watch my 6. I have picks but having issue loading them from my iPad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DF843AFA-100E-420F-A101-D1C3D8322EE4.jpeg  

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCass View Post
    A year ago I had the issue and talked with Lipper and etrailer. The suggested to purchase a wedge for the Reese hitch, but still have the issue. I know I40 isn’t the smoothest but it’s still jumping out of the saddle. I’m going to call them again but not happy, so for now the wedge is out and watch my 6. I have picks but having issue loading them from my iPad
    It seems to me either the pin is out of specification or your hitch is out of specification. I would run a test. 1) Hook up your trailer as normal and make sure the hitch is latched. 2) Raise the trailer so that you can measure the amount of gap between the saddle and pin box plate. 3) If it is greater that height of the wedge that explains the problem. 4) Now you have to figure out is it the Pin on the pin box or the hitch. It also could be a combination of both being at extremes. There should not be that much vertical play in the set up.
    Dan
    F-250
    Reflection 150 Series 290BH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We thought of that but when I spoke to etrailer and Lipper last year they assured me that my hitch was ok and should not be the problem...I bought the hitch through etrailer...when I take the wedge out, the trailer rides in the saddle just fine which makes me scratch the dander from my head...but if there is a mismatch then why isn’t GD saying something.

For a follow up what hitches are the other 150 series using on their F150? My current hitch is a Reese 20k single jaw.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the Reese Elite Series Fifth Wheel 18K with a Reese SWW-01 wedge.

I have been on some bumpy roads where everything in the trailer was thrown including the fireplace glass cover and chairs. Plugs for the recliners popping out if socket. You name it, it all shifted. But still never had the wedge pop out if the hitch.

You might want to buy a different Hitch. If that happened to me on the road I would never trust it again.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveCass View Post
    We thought of that but when I spoke to etrailer and Lipper last year they assured me that my hitch was ok and should not be the problem...I bought the hitch through etrailer...when I take the wedge out, the trailer rides in the saddle just fine which makes me scratch the dander from my head...but if there is a mismatch then why isn’t GD saying something.

For a follow up what hitches are the other 150 series using on their F150? My current hitch is a Reese 20k single jaw.
    I am sure Etrailer and Lippert will give you the standard answer. That does not fix your issue. I can imagine you do not have a problem without the wedge. The problem that I see is that the pin box is allowed to raise to the point where the wedge can get trapped between the saddle and the plate on the pin box. That gap is your problem. Now you you just have to figure out is it a pin issue or a hitch issue. I hope you find an answer. My gut tells me it is a hitch issue.
    Dan
    F-250
    Reflection 150 Series 290BH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To confirm, when you say you removed the wedge, are locking the Tuning Point box in place?
    2020 Reflection 150 240 RL
    2020 Ford F-250 4WD Crew Cab Diesel
    2004 Dodge 2500 2wd crew cab Diesel
    2000 Carver 450 Voyager Motor Yacht

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes we pu the two bolts back in the aft end of the turning point hitch....with this setup we have no issues with the pin or hitch....until we get an answer from GD we have decided to leave it as a standard hitch, that way I don’t have to watch my 6 at every bump in the road

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast