User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Quality Control

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfitz View Post
    You can do most repairs yourself as long as it’s under warranty if parts needed GD will get them to you
    Not always
    I had screws pop out of windows and was told I would have to source larger screws myself
    I also emailed pics of my awning pulling away from the track in the tube and they wouldn’t help

Not tying up my trailer for months at a dealer I never bought from that is still 3 hours away

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stop with the covid stuff...... This is a discussion of quality. Take the COVID theories someplace else.

Some threads deleted, another edited to keep this discussion on track.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 09-19-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

currently we are on our way to Salome AZ.
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptTPT View Post
    New to the forum. In the market for a GD XLS 17MKE. Article in news a few days ago reported that RV dealers just mailed a group letter from across the country to all RV manufacturers complaining about the horribly poor workmanship and quality in the current production new RV’s. No manufacturer’s we’re singled out. What can you all tell me about quality in the GD 21’s and 22’s? Issues of concern? Thanks for your input. Tom
    I have about 11K on my 395M and this is all that i have go bad

1.) front door and steps are not seated properly, looked at by GD techs and was told door needed adjusting but they were just gonna replace the entire door unit so an appointment was set up at General RV and the door was replaced, it did not fix the issue, so I have decided to get into it myself and found that the steps have a weight distributing device that are mounted over the door trim leaving a 1/4 gap making the steps not seat correctly, I will fix this myself when I get to AZ in mid October

2.) right rear wet bolt broke leaving me stranded at a campground, I called GD and they sent me the parts right away I had to pay for the welder and the reimbursement check came within 6 days. GD was very supportive.

3.) all kinds of trim falling off or getting loose fixed it all myself as it happened.

there have also have been several various other issues that I can not fault GD for, But I just fix that when it comes up.
    This is my 3rd new rv and I can say without a doubt that this coach is WAY better than my 2015 Jayco.
    and if I had to complain about anything I would complain about the wood/trim/stair/furniture finishes, all completely under par but I will refinish my table myself keep touching up the trim and chairs maybe I'll replace the bathroom door. All told I'm happy with my GD but it is important to know that there will always be repairs just like a boat or rock crawlers or small planes you just have to say on top of it.
    Mike and Renee with Gracie our Golden Retriever on a full time journey exploring our great Country
    2021 Momentum 395m with Factory installed 8k axles with disc brakes and solar package, 4976# CCC
    2015 F350 CC LB DRW. Firestone #5000 air bags with Air One remote control and Bilstein shocks
    25k B&W Companion on factory 5th wheel mounts

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see a lot of the same issues with ours and just like you I fix them as they come up. We actually removed the bedroom door and replaced it with a curtain so the wife doesn't have to squeeze around the door at night. We also had a Jayco and to be honest I had a few things go wrong with it but the biggest problem was every time I took it to the dealer for repair, I had to pay someone to fix what they broke.
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS
    2014 Ford F250 Super Duty

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmathews951 View Post
    I see a lot of the same issues with ours and just like you I fix them as they come up.
    Same with me. I do feel fortunate as the trailer I bought was built pretty well. I had one major issue while on the first trip, and GD stepped up to pay for parts and over night shipment (me doing the repair).

My biggest complaint with my trailer is the quality of components, and the minimum suspension design. While common throughout the industry, in normal times of non-interruption of the supply chain GD could charge a few more bucks and really make folks happy.

Which bring up the question: would you be willing to pay a little more to improve quality and/or better components?

Overall, I question how anyone could own and use a trailer if they didn't have at least elementary repair skills. There is always some little problem issue going on, and if one has to take the trailer to a dealer service center for all those things they are soon going to be writing negative reviews.
    Last edited by dryfly; 09-20-2021 at 10:14 AM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    in normal times of non-interruption of the supply chain GD could charge a few more bucks and really make folks happy.

Which bring up the question: would you be willing to pay a little more to improve quality and/or better components?

In theory I agree. In practice it not so much. Since I've been a member, I think every single component of our units has been complained about, furniture, roofs, appliances, suspension, tires, general construction, etc. Which ones get upgraded? A whole bunch of "little more's" become a lot more and now were at a different level (not counting the fact we already are with the almost limitless price increases)
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I don't think you will see improvement by 2023. If anything the supply chain problems will be much worse and higher costs.
    As I said, its already happening. "Dealers getting calls to buy back new RVs".. This massive glut on the secondary market will depress manufacturer demand.

https://www.rvtravel.com/dealers-sta...upgrade-1018b/
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpisano View Post
    As I said, its already happening. "Dealers getting calls to buy back new RVs".. This massive glut on the secondary market will depress manufacturer demand.

https://www.rvtravel.com/dealers-sta...upgrade-1018b/
    Most of those were purchased from dealer inventory I'd guess with no special options. If the dealers do buy them back, I sincerely doubt the price will be lower than the original sales price.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be a ton of gently use rv for sale this spring. I predict at prices too low to pass up. Just be patient, also most of their problems will not be fixed as it's such a long wait to get into a dealership.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Most of those were purchased from dealer inventory I'd guess with no special options. If the dealers do buy them back, I sincerely doubt the price will be lower than the original sales price.
    Not entire sure what your point is there to be honest. Independent of purchase price, four things will happen, as this accelerates exponentially over the next 24 months. While prices for new may not drop on paper, they will drop.

1. Dealers and 3rd parties will buy them, at great prices, make money money, depressing demand for new RVs from the OEm manufacturers.

2. Many dealers won't buy them back, as they try to get wholesale, and they will be sold on the secondary markets to other 3rd parties. That also will depress demand for new OEM RVs.

Directly in the article, manufacturers also commenting how demand is already slowing.

3. The massive GLUT of 3rd party for sale RVs will start depressing "dealership" sales, making it harder to get top dollar, pressuring prices.

4. Both manufacturers and dealers will be offering incentives to buy new inventory and to goose sales again. Prices will, if not fall, at least remain stable, but with massive dealer and manufacturer incentives, severely depressing "realized" prices by the consumer.

No doubt, the time to buy a "used" RV will be in the 24 months, as there will so many barely used models up for sale, you will be able to get a steal. All those steals will depress manufacturer and dealer demand.

Just this week, one of my colleagues dumped there 2020 Momentum 5th wheel for $12K less than what he purchased in June of 2020. Its only going to get worse.
    Last edited by dpisano; 09-21-2021 at 06:12 PM.
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast