Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Advice on Water Damage

The family and I were on the road. Stopped for lunch. Turned on water pump to wash a few dishes. Pump was left on. Kitchen sink in island was loaded with plants and a few dishes. At some point, one of the plants tipped over and turned on faucet and swiveled it so most water was going on island. About 3 hours later, get to our destination, open door and water all over floor, island, dinette chairs, etc. I would guess 30-40 gallons went into sink and on floor. I dumped the gray tank, and guess maybe half into the sink. Also dumped fresh tank to try to get idea of total volume. Small amount of water dripping from outer wall of LR slide. Water all along base of island and rear wall.

Sopped up standing water and put fans on to dry base of island and rear wall. Coroplast/belly doesn’t appear to be sagging.

What do we do now?

Sick to my stomach thinking about it. I didn’t go in camper during the stop so never checked off things like turn water pump off.
    Thanks.
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I unfortunately know the flips your stomach did when you opened the door.

You have done what you can buy cleaning it all up. Keep the air movement going for several days, crack cabinets open so air can move inside to aid in drying things out. Damp rid well also help with the moisture. With luck you won't have any swelling of the cabinets and if the water lines stays visible you can order the fake wood grain tape to touch things up.

We had the same thing happen but caught it in time b4 it overflowed to badly. Had a small plant and a farberware percolator totally submerged, the drain plug got pushed down in travel. Soil in the water, coffee pot was a total loss..made me glad we traveled with a spare.

I now tie up the faucet handle so this will never happen again in case the pump ever got left on again
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 09-28-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I unfortunately know the flips your stomach did when you opened the door.

You have done what you can buy cleaning it all up. Keep the air movement going for several days, crack cabinets open so air can move inside to aid in drying things out. Damp rid well also help with the moisture. With luck you won't have any swelling of the cabinets and if the water lines stays visible you can order the fake wood grain tape to touch things up.

We had the same thing happen but caught it in time b4 it overflowed to badly. Had a small plant and a farberware percolator totally submerged, the drain plug got pushed down in travel. Soil in the water, coffee pot was a total loss..made me glad we traveled with a spare.

I now tie up the faucet handle so this will never happen again in case the pump ever got left on again
    Thanks and sorry for the delayed reply. We ended up moving to a remote area without cell signal. We did keep the fans and AC going for 4 days straight. Nighttime outdoor humidity was 90-100%, so that didn't help things. But, after being back home for 4 days now, I don't see any swelling, no odor of mold. We're hooked up to 50a at home and I still have the ACs and fans going to keep air moving. Sadly, the same day of the kitchen/LR flood I noticed water on the floor of the MBR closet (closet is located in the front cap of the 378). One of the hoses at the washer inlet was leaking. I was able to repair that, but had to enlist my 11-year-old daughter and her dainty hands to reach the water shutoffs. Anyway, fans in there, too. Maybe this all had something to do with our visit to The Ark Encounter in KY??
    2022 Solitude 378MBS-R
    2021 Ford F450 CC Lariat Ultimate FX4
    1966 Shasta Astroflyte (1 year restoration project that is going on year 6)