User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to let it rest before checking actual voltage. 14.4V is good, but a lot depends on where it levels off after sitting for a while or putting a bit of a load on it. That 14.4V could be surface charge and not an actual indication of the actual voltage.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That 14.4 is the charge when charging. You must let it sit 10-15 minutes not charging to see the actual charge.

A full battery will read 12.8 at rest. I suggest you get a simple battery mo it or abd indtall it. A Victron 712 is a good one. That way you can see what state if charge your battery is.

Try not to let it get below 12.00. 10.4 is a dead battery. It may be permanently damaged.
    A group 24 battery is pitifully small unless you ALWAYS are on shore power

I suggest you read up on batteries, battery power , 12 volt systems . It’s a critical part of your camper and camping

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't take much to ruin a lead acid battery.
    Let it discharge too far when in storage or use, and it's toast.
    Your charger will charge it up to the "full" voltage, but it may not have any capacity.

Charge it, take it to your local auto parts store and have them run a battery capacity test on it to be sure it's good.
    The test is usually free.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lfry607 View Post
    I have a 2020 2970RL and have never used a generator before. I run the generator as little as possible and when I shut it off the fridge which I have switched to propane at around the 5 hour mark starts to beep. So I just power it off. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong as I thought I could run my fridge all night on propane then start the generator back up in the morning.
    Check you disconnect switch to make sure it is on (key cant be removed). If off fridge will not get 12v power and batterys will not charge using the factory converter/charger. Also check your 12v fuses to see if the fridge circuit is powered.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deeuubee View Post
    It doesn't take much to ruin a lead acid battery.
    Let it discharge too far when in storage or use, and it's toast.
    Your charger will charge it up to the "full" voltage, but it may not have any capacity.

Charge it, take it to your local auto parts store and have them run a battery capacity test on it to be sure it's good.
    The test is usually free.
    That's a very important point. Many people don't realize that although these batteries are called deep cycle, anytime they are depleted below 50% they are being damaged.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    That 14.4 is the charge when charging. You must let it sit 10-15 minutes not charging to see the actual charge.

A full battery will read 12.8 at rest. I suggest you get a simple battery mo it or abd indtall it. A Victron 712 is a good one. That way you can see what state if charge your battery is.

Try not to let it get below 12.00. 10.4 is a dead battery. It may be permanently damaged.
    A group 24 battery is pitifully small unless you ALWAYS are on shore power

I suggest you read up on batteries, battery power , 12 volt systems . It’s a critical part of your camper and camping
    You have gotten excellent advice so far.

As RvSsilor has pointed out 10.4 is dead. Quite likely this battery is beyond saving. Others have also suggested checking the disconnect switch. I agree, that will keep your converter from charging the battery. Connecting a generator and a charger directly to the battery will charge it only if it will hold a charge. I suspect your battery is gone. As also stated, even for your fridge to run on propane you need the 12v for the control board to work.

1. Make sure you battery disconnect is in the correct position
    2. Check the SOC (State of Charge) after the battery is at rest for at least 10 minutes
    3. Check the electrolyte level in the battery. These converters tend to cook them
    4. Plug generator into rv and check voltage from your converter to insure it is working properly

Good Luck
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12v is necessary to run a fridge, but so is propane. Start with the basics; tank valves open and have some level of propane in them? Is the fridge set to "auto"? 12v RV refrigerators will attempt to initiate a propane start several times before illuminating a fault light at which point you'll need to cycle the power switch to reset. If your trailer has been sitting unused for a spell with the propane tank valves closed, the propane line will not be 100% propane, so you need to purge the line first by running the stove for a minute.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 2970RL and have never used a generator before. I run the generator as little as possible and when I shut it off the fridge which I have switched to propane at around the 5 hour mark starts to beep. So I just power it off. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong as I thought I could run my fridge all night on propane then start the generator back up in the morning.
    I boon dock a lot and I set my refer manually on propane so that it does not switch back and forth when using a generator. to save your batteries run the fridge, water heater on propane when boon docking. Propane goes a long way if u r not using the furnace a lot. However, batteries can be drained in hours if not careful if using an inverter or other high draw items. we keep our 2 interstate lead acid batteries easily charged with a 100 watt solar panel from Renogy for weeks at a time. u just need to be frugal on what u use. when the wife needs to use a hairdryer, curling iron, microwave or tv we turn on the Honda generator or we use our solar generator. hope this helps.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sure the gas is flowing to the fridge...turn on a burner and light it. If it takes a minute or two to light you didn't have gas getting to the fridge...happens all the time.
    Spike & Kimberly
    2020 Imagine 2970RL
    2021 F-350 7.3L CC LB SRW
    2002 GMC 2500HD 6.6L -Traded

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know what its like to wake up to a dead battery in the coach. My refrigerator is a power hog, using 9 total 12v fans to move air and keep cold. A healthy battery bank is essential to maintaining power through the night, so you don't wake up to a dead battery. If you like to boondock or dry camp a lot, you really need multiple batteries or at least a configuration that provides enough amp hours to survive a night of furnace running, lights, fridge and whatever else is drawing down your batteries. Better to run your generator for a longer period of time, to try for a full charge, then get caught short. Also, if you plan on serious boondocking, consider a solar setup to help. And as many have mentioned, a battery monitor, agm or lithium ion batteries with a low battery cutoff to protect the health of that investment is a must when getting a serious dry camping set up.
    Alan and Paula
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS, 2004 Dodge 3500 5.9L
    Magnum 2k watt inverter-charger, 300 AH Battle Born battery bank, 560 watt solar power. 6K axles and disc brakes. Pepwave max transit cellular router.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast