Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XLS 23BHE Impressions

Hello everyone. New user as we are considering placing an order to be ready for the 2022 season. Looking for a small bunkhouse and the 23BHE looks like it might fit the bill. Unfortunately there is not one available in the area to go take a look at before putting down a deposit. Anyone here with one? Bit concerned about using the one side of the booth as the ladder to get to the top bunk. Also the step on the slide in front of the stove/refrigerator looks like it could be a good place to stub a toe.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello @jgoldwood. I can tell by the view counter that your post is being seen... there must not be a lot of experience on the forum with that particular floor plan. I hope someone comes along soon.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jgoldwood View Post
    Hello everyone. New user as we are considering placing an order to be ready for the 2022 season. Looking for a small bunkhouse and the 23BHE looks like it might fit the bill. Unfortunately there is not one available in the area to go take a look at before putting down a deposit. Anyone here with one? Bit concerned about using the one side of the booth as the ladder to get to the top bunk. Also the step on the slide in front of the stove/refrigerator looks like it could be a good place to stub a toe.

Thanks in advance.
    I looked at that model and ultimately purchased a 2400bh.
    There isn’t that big a difference in size and weight but the extra features of an Imagine over the xls is worth the small price difference I was quoted
    The biggest issue I hear with the 23bhe is the poor design kitchen sink drain system. It is horrible to put it lightly
    Ymmv

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both for the response.

NB Canada - happen to have a link to the kitchen drain issues? I had not heard anything about it. Also what features sold you on the 2400BH? The unit you have was my first choice but didn't feel like I'd be losing out on too much for quite a bit less money. Was surprised to see that even the solar panels and upgraded refrigerator are now standard on even the XLS.

**UPDATE**

Looks like I found at least one post discussing the issue. Appreciate you calling it out as I would have had no clue.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ste-pump/page4
    Last edited by jgoldwood; 10-20-2021 at 11:56 AM.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XLS 23BHE Impressions

Thank you both for the response.

NB Canada - happen to have a link to the kitchen drain issues? I had not heard anything about it. Also what features sold you on the 2400BH? The unit you have was my first choice but didn't feel like I'd be losing out on too much for quite a bit less money. Was surprised to see that even the solar panels and upgraded refrigerator are now standard on even the XLS.
    Just type 23bhe in the search bar for past threads

I was quoted only 2000 Canadian difference between the two models

The most important things to me were the front storage. Extremely larger on the 2400

Radius roof. My son is 6 foot and has plenty of headroom in the trailer and shower. In the xls his head would be in the skylight

I prefer the solid steps over the tradition entry steps

Larger furnace

Besides the sink issue the other small thing is the double sewer connection on xls. Just more parts needed and I don’t care for it

On edit: all new imagines including xls now come standard with solar and 12v fridge

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad you can't look at one. I bought a 23bhe this year for several reasons. Yes, there was a concern of using the seat back as a ladder to the top bunk, but we have a no shoe rule and I'm hoping that will help. The usage goal for the trailer is for short weekend trips once a month so I don't expect a lot of wear on it. We've taken it on four trips so far and no stubbing of toe on the slide's floor, nor was I concerned about it. The 2400bh and 21bhe are good bunk options too and we were able to look at all three.

I wasn't educated on the kitchen slide drain design until after I bought it, but it wouldn't have changed the decision if I knew before hand.

Here are the mods I did (I'm crazy to do roof mods)...
    Ran power to the bedroom vent and replaced the bedroom vent with a MaxxAir Deluxe
    Replaced vent fan in kitchen area with a MaxxAir (deluxe will not fit because of proximity to antenna)
    Installed vent cover on bathroom vent fan
    Two lithium batteries and solar panels

Thanks in advance.
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Stubbed Toes.
    Using Seating area isn’t a problem with my 4 and 6 year old for climbing up to the top bunk.

Sink sump pump issue is real, has overflowed twice. I plan to now regularly use degreaser or bleach to chemically clear often.

Heats uneven; Bathroom is a sauna with heat running.

Like others said, sure the 2400 maybe better, but I do really like my 23BHE and I don’t want to go longer and the trailer access with slide in is fantastic.
    Current: 2021 Grand Design Imagine XLS 23BHE
    2021 Chevy Silverado 3.0 L Duramax Diesel, Crew Cab, Regular Box
    Former: 2017 Flagstaff 625D PopUp
    2017 Silverado 5.3 L V8

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The degreaser and bleach will not work. The problem is small food particles also. This is a shower pump. Not made for kitchen sink. We re did ours to be taken out regularly and cleaned. We clean it after each trip. They should have gone with a sump pump for kitchen sinks. More expensive but would have been a much better choice Gor us.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have owned our 23BHE since Feb of 2020. After two full seasons it is a good unit and I wanted to go with a 2800BH initially but decided to start smaller and work our way up as time goes and to figure out things we want in the future. It is nice being smaller because we can fit in a lot more places than the 2800BH would have allowed.

And like others have mentioned the only thing that is trash is the kitchen sink drain setup. I learned the hard way on how horrible this is when the unit got clogged and didn't pump water, next thing you know it was overflowing out the weep hole on the drain box. Also the flex tube they use to go from the drain box to the drain line is too thin and ours ended developing a pin hole leak at ones of the bends. I ended replacing a heaver hose. With what we know now I would have avoided this unit because of this drain box and because it also creates to separate grey tanks that need to be drained.

Our kids are little and we don't wear shoes inside so getting into the bunk beds is a non issue. After two seasons we have no signs of wear or damage to the seat back.

For now I use a rinse bucket for cleaning and generally use the sink for basic cleaning like hand washing. I also take the box out once every 3 months and give it a good cleaning to help prevent buildup.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We purchased an XLS 23BHE in September and have taken two short trips with it including one with 3 grandkids. I’m pulling it with a 2021 F150 XLT with the 5.0l V-8 and I love this rig. We previously had an A-frame type pop up and it was too small plus the construction and craftsmanship were atrocious. By comparison the GD 23BHE is just great I’ve not had to repair or replace anything and we’re real happy with it. But I agree, getting into the upper bunk is a problem for most adults. Using the top of the bench seat back as a step is iffy at best. I’ve kicked around various ladder ideas in my head but not yet fabricated anything. Haven’t stubbed my toe yet on the slide step but I can see it how it could happen. It’s a great camper for our needs and I recommend it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast