Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scramjet View Post
    I don’t know if BrentM is still following this thread but for the benefit of others (and this may seem obvious) you have to watch your payload carefully when going this route. The original poster is probably over on payload with a diesel F-250 and a GD 303RLS. The high capacity fuel tank will almost certainly put BrentM well over on payload.

Brian
    Yikes! Hadn’t considered the payload! Glad this forum is here. I may have to reconsider getting an auxiliary tank and just carry a couple 5 gallon cans of diesel. Thanks for posting that.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Just wanted some input on this subject from folks. I have made up my mind on the subject, but am not opposed to learning from you good people. So, with my first rig, I added a 45-gallon inbed tank for additional fuel. It was quite handy to me because I just prefer not to stop from campground to campground when traveling. I mean, we have and I'm not afraid to get fuel enroute, but it's just not my preference. There were countless times I pulled off a remote exit just to turn the valve on my extra tank on and let it enter the truck. I don't think I really needed more than 10 or so gallons, over the truck's stock tank, in almost all cases to make it to the next campground. I had an 08 F250.

Now, I have an 18 F250 and I'm thinking thinking I don't want to add mounted tank, but I like the idea of extra fuel for those times I'm running low, in a remote area, traveling on a Sunday in some areas, or simply just to have it for any case. So, why not just use a tank strapped in the bed of the truck? Something like the "Moeller Portable Fuel Tanks, Sight Gauge, Seamless, EPA Compliant", a 12-gallon tank that can sit in the corner of the bed in front of the hitch. That was a quick Amazon search, not set on it.

Are any of you traveling with extra fuel? If so, what do you use. If not, why not have the extra insurance? Thank you for your valued opinions.

Brent
    @Brent M I didn't read all the previous opinions but my recommendation would be to go with a Titan 55 gallon replacement fuel tank that fits in the same location as the OEM tank. I have the 2017 F350 with that tank (plus a 41 gallon in bed tank) and find I can get 500 miles out of the Titan tank towing our 5th wheel with about 6 gallons in reserve. I paid about $1,080 for it and did the install myself three years ago. Safe travels!!
    Last edited by zinman; 03-22-2021 at 12:10 AM. Reason: bad spelling
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Yikes! Hadn’t considered the payload! Glad this forum is here. I may have to reconsider getting an auxiliary tank and just carry a couple 5 gallon cans of diesel. Thanks for posting that.
    You are welcome! Just happy to give back after all the great info I have gotten from here!

I am at the payload limits of my gas Ford and have to watch my weight. I have decided to just use plastic jugs and replace periodically as needed.

Brian
    Brian & Shea+ Zeke & Roxy GSP’s
    2018 GD Reflection 303RLS 800w solar 400ah LiFePO4
    Sold 2018 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat gas 2,980# payload
    2024 Ford F-350 4x4 CCSB Lariat diesel 4,000# payload

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678