User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will a slide topper fit under awning on Imagine?

We just picked up our new Imagine 2670MK and I'm thinking (not decided) about installing slide toppers on the two slide outs. Before I decide upon the merits of installing a topers, I have to first figure out if they would even fit.

The slide on the drivers side would definetly fit a topper, but I'm concerned about the passenger side. On the passenger side there just doesn't seem to be enough room between the awning and top of the slide. To make matter worse, when I extend the awning fully, it just makes contact with the top of the top of the kitchen slide. So if I did install a slide topper, it looks like the awning would definetly rest right on the slide topper.

I've seen a few fifth wheels with slide toppers installed under the awning, it was tight but seemed to work. There did seem to be a tad more space between the Fifth wheel awning and the top of the slide than I have on our 2670MK. Has any installed a passenger (curb) side slide topper on a travel trailer? If so how did it work and could you attach a few pics?

Thanks
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 02-14-2023 at 11:04 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I modified the thread title to add clarity to which model, hope it helps get your answers
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @BeerBrewer, could you be overthinking this? Why would it be an issue to have the awning contact the topper? I don't think there would be any sharp edges that would damage the awning.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My awning also touches the top edge of the slide out. No toppers. I cut a pool noodle to put up there to protect the awning. (Requires a ladder to do it). Or. I just don’t put the awning all the way out.

I can still manage to get up there and sweep or blow it off as needed. Toppers may be in my future but not yet.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Hey @BeerBrewer, could you be overthinking this? Why would it be an issue to have the awning contact the topper? I don't think there would be any sharp edges that would damage the awning.
    I'm not that concerned about the fact that the awning rests on slide out, I'll do what Flystar recommended. I only mentioned that they touch to illustrate how close they are.

When the the passenger side (some call it it curb side) slideout and the big main awning are both all the way retracted in, there is only 2 inches of space between them. I'm concerned that 2 inches is not enough space to properly install a slide topper. I've read the installation instruction for several slide toppers and none gave demensions about how high the slideout awning rail needs to be. My concern is that not installing the rail high enough will mean that there won't be any pitch on the slide topper awning and when it rains water will pool and/or run back to the trailer. Neather would be good. This is only a problem with the passenger side slideout, the driver sideout is not a problem.

Our friends own a Reflection travel trailer and they have the same question. Grand Design makes quite a few travel trailers that have slideouts on the passenger side of the trailer, so I can't be the first to face this issue. This doesn't seem to be an issue with 5th wheels since their roofs are higher allowing the main awning to be installed higher.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey @BeerBrewer, I was just reviewing the floor plan for your Imagine 2670MK and I must say it seems like a great layout. However, there isn't much on the GD site that shows how the awning and the slide work. I get your points about a 5er being different, would you be able to post some photos about the area of concern? I have to say I'm a big believer in toppers, but I also hear the concerns you've raised.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using the search @Imagine MK said they did it. Perhaps they can give some insight
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious, why do you need a slide topper on a slide that's under the awning? I had that same situation on a class A Newmar I owned. I just put the awning out enough to cover the slide and left it that way. Most electric awnings are self dumping when it rains and I never had an issue with wind while the awning was extended only a couple feet.
    2023 Imagine 2600RB (our 15th RV)
    2013 Nissan Armada Platinum
    Owned everything from 16' TT to a 38' class A DP

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohenwald48 View Post
    Just curious, why do you need a slide topper on a slide that's under the awning? I had that same situation on a class A Newmar I owned. I just put the awning out enough to cover the slide and left it that way. Most electric awnings are self dumping when it rains and I never had an issue with wind while the awning was extended only a couple feet.
    I've thought about doing just what you've said and only putting a slide-topper on drivers side slide. Having said that we sometimes camp at the beach where it get so windy that I'd be afraid to leave my awning out even a foot.

At this point (the camper is only two weeks old) I haven't decided if I'm going to install a slide topper on the passenger side slide or not. I'd just like to know if its possible and if someone has done it. If they did, I'd like to know what model they used and how it worked out. I've called the Libert (Solera) and Carefree tech support and they could not give me an answer.

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might check these folks out. They make units that fit our trailers. I'm looking at converting from our slide topper to one of these.

https://www.truetopperusa.com/
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast