Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Jacking Wheel at this Location

Please explain this to me with opinions welcome. I'm prepping for another trip and will being doing the usual inspections. So, I saw a video saying to lift on the frame to raise the trailer, then lift the axle which eases the weight, to change a tire which is fine. I've done it. No problem with it other than it's a pain and it can be dangerous if not impossible on a busy road without extra jacks. How come I can't lift between each wheel's leaf spring U-bold mounts directly on the axle there? It seems to me, without question, that the entire weight of the trailer is at 4 points (dual axle 303) on these exact locations. IOW, a 10,000 pound trailer theoretically sits on 4 each 2,500 lb weight-bearing axle spots by means of the leaf springs concentrating all weight right in that specific area of the axle. Common sense tells me, it wouldn't hurt to lift in that location especially since the leaf springs, bearing the trailer weight, directs it there. If I just want to change a tire or even pack grease bearings, it is incredibly easy by comparison and much less dangerous. I am honestly trying to figure out why this is not suggested instead of lifting the frame. If I'm honest, I've done both, and much prefer lifting the axle at each tire location just enough to do the work. Got another question related to greasing too, but will post separate for experience/thoughts.
    Brent & Gina
    2018 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no issues with lifting at the U-bolt location on the axles. Do one wheel at a time. That's the way I've done it quite a few times. I also have it hooked up to the truck, since it's a 5th wheel.

Of course if you have the hydraulic leveling legs, it's a no brainer to lift using the legs.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a combination bottle jack/jack stand I use when working on a single wheel. I place the saddle of the jack right between the u bolts, no problem. The issue with lifting by the axle, is the closer you place the jack to the center of the axle, the more risk you have with bending the axle.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the hydraulic leveling system to lift the side in question just enough to unload the leaf springs, chock the other wheel, then put a jack under the axle U-bolt to lift the desired wheel/tire off of the ground.

If I'm going underneath, I put jack stands under the frame by the frontmost spring hanger and the rearmost spring hanger as a backup to the hydraulic system.

I would welcome any comments as to why this is not a good method.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it is mainly the torsion axles that say do not lift by the axle. I see no issue using the spring mount on traditional axles.

Or even easier, drive the good tire up on blocks, after loosening the lug nuts
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to me that driving the good wheel up on blocks to work on the other axle will overload the good wheel/axle as all of one side would be on a single axle.
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I have a combination bottle jack/jack stand I use when working on a single wheel. I place the saddle of the jack right between the u bolts, no problem. The issue with lifting by the axle, is the closer you place the jack to the center of the axle, the more risk you have with bending the axle.
    This is what I do--saddle of jack between the ubolts with jack stand as close to it as possible as a catch and no load. Don't want to bend axle. This is likely what I'm going to do after all the fine remarks, yet still an open mind to learn why this may be a bad idea.
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    I use the hydraulic leveling system to lift the side in question just enough to unload the leaf springs, chock the other wheel, then put a jack under the axle U-bolt to lift the desired wheel/tire off of the ground.

If I'm going underneath, I put jack stands under the frame by the frontmost spring hanger and the rearmost spring hanger as a backup to the hydraulic system.

I would welcome any comments as to why this is not a good method.
    Wish I had hydraulic...well, anything. It will be on the next 5W.
    Brent & Gina
    SuperGlide 16K Hitch
    Grand Design 303 RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Wish I had hydraulic...well, anything. It will be on the next 5W.
    TBH, I thought it was more of a gimmick than anything really useful, the hydraulic levelers I mean, but after you've had them for a while, you get spoiled. I ran the legs down, lifted all 4 wheels off the ground, and had all the tires off in just a few minutes. Nary a jack in sight. That alone is almost worth the price of admission.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent M View Post
    Please explain this to me with opinions welcome. I'm prepping for another trip and will being doing the usual inspections. So, I saw a video saying to lift on the frame to raise the trailer, then lift the axle which eases the weight, to change a tire which is fine. I've done it. No problem with it other than it's a pain and it can be dangerous if not impossible on a busy road without extra jacks. How come I can't lift between each wheel's leaf spring U-bold mounts directly on the axle there? It seems to me, without question, that the entire weight of the trailer is at 4 points (dual axle 303) on these exact locations. IOW, a 10,000 pound trailer theoretically sits on 4 each 2,500 lb weight-bearing axle spots by means of the leaf springs concentrating all weight right in that specific area of the axle. Common sense tells me, it wouldn't hurt to lift in that location especially since the leaf springs, bearing the trailer weight, directs it there. If I just want to change a tire or even pack grease bearings, it is incredibly easy by comparison and much less dangerous. I am honestly trying to figure out why this is not suggested instead of lifting the frame. If I'm honest, I've done both, and much prefer lifting the axle at each tire location just enough to do the work. Got another question related to greasing too, but will post separate for experience/thoughts.
    But when you lift by the axle, you now have all of the weight on three springs. Likely close to half the trailer axle weight on one of them.

Lippert and Dexter both recommend against jacking by the axle and using blocks or a ramp to raise the bad wheel. I do both if needed, but have the blocks and jack to lift it by the frame when I can.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast