Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The appropriate setting on the brake controller depends on the condition of the brakes.

I’d be suspecting your breakaway switch is engaging during towing.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The appropriate setting on the brake controller depends on the condition of the brakes.

I’d be suspecting your breakaway switch is engaging during towing.
    Wouldn't this lock the brakes up? It's possible but seems the OP would know by smoke coming off the tires.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Wouldn't this lock the brakes up? It's possible but seems the OP would know by smoke coming off the tires.
    The breakaway switch is the same as having the gain all the way up on the controller. It’s nearly impossible to lock the brakes on a heavy trailer.

The condition of the brakes indicates they are being applied excessively either through the application of power too frequently or at too high a level. An intermittent breakaway switch might accomplish this.

But I wouldn’t discount issues with the dealer.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    When I took it in several days ago I specifically asked them if there was a controller in the 5th wheel that maybe regulated the voltage coming from my truck and maybe had to be adjusted. I was told there is no controller in the 5th wheel, when I brake whatever my truck sends to the 5th wheel goes directly to the brakes. I will ask about the breakaway switch. I would have thought any initial adjustment would have been done by the factory when I bought it brand new last year and also after I picked it up after the new brakes were put on just last August.
    Does your Solitude have the Curt ABS braking system installed? The new Solitude's were supposed to have the new ABS braking system installed since about last May timeframe. If it does, then yes there is a brake controller in the RV with sensors on each wheel. There may be something wrong with the ABS braking on the Solitude.

Here is a thread on the Curt ABS braking system https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-new-Solitudes
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-16-2023 at 05:47 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do you think your brakes were burnished correctly by the contract delivery driver from the factory to the dealership?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My invoice from last August:
    Part# Description Qty
    KIT D50 7000 DEXTER 9/16" 865 4.00
    BAS 12EFSA-LH 12"x2" LH ELECTRIC SELF ADJ 2.00
    BAS 12EFSA-RH 12"X2"RH ELECTRIC SELF ADJ 2.00

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The breakaway switch is the same as having the gain all the way up on the controller. It’s nearly impossible to lock the brakes on a heavy trailer.

The condition of the brakes indicates they are being applied excessively either through the application of power too frequently or at too high a level. An intermittent breakaway switch might accomplish this.

But I wouldn’t discount issues with the dealer.
    Yes, I guess you are correct. I had my break away switch activated accidentally at low speed once and it felt like a complete lock up. Considering the constant drag on the tow vehicle equal to the controller's gain cranked all the way up, it seems the OP would have noticed and the hubs would have gotten excessively hot, maybe to the smoking point.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So do you think your brakes were burnished correctly by the contract delivery driver from the factory to the dealership?
    Brake drums or brake pads are not generally burnished by the manufacturer. This means it is up to the installer or driver to burnish them appropriately. This is rarely done. In that video you can see the temperatures required to adequately burnish the brakes and these temps are not going to get reached with typical daily driving assuming everything is set correctly. But over time they get worn in. The purpose of intentional burnishing is to make them run better, longer, and more quietly (squeaking and such). All that said, not burnishing them is very unlikely to be the cause of the problems here. There appears to be something else going on to cause the excessive wear and damage is described in this thread.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what do you think caused your brakes to fail after 2k

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My invoice from last August:
    Part# Description Qty
    KIT D50 7000 DEXTER 9/16" 865 4.00
    BAS 12EFSA-LH 12"x2" LH ELECTRIC SELF ADJ 2.00
    BAS 12EFSA-RH 12"X2"RH ELECTRIC SELF ADJ 2.00
    I've had numerous problems with my Dexter 12" brakes since swapping out my axles in 2020, and moving from 10" brakes to 12" Dexter brakes. You're problem certainly sounds like the brakes are dragging all the time and overheating. That happened to me a couple years ago. I think the problem is I had manually adjusted them a little too tight. I took photos and emailed them to Dexter and they sent me all new brake assemblies, no charge. However, I continued to have braking problems. I just couldn't get the trailer to stop like it did when I had 10" brakes.

After 2 years of troubleshooting, I finally discovered the brake problem was with my 12" Dexter brake magnets. I had a LOT of trouble getting my trailer to stop. After a ton of research I discovered that Dexter, 12" brake magnets are INTENTIONALLY about 1/2 the size of other manufacturer brake magnets. Therefore, way less stopping ability. They are designed to slow your trailer down, NOT STOP IT. If you look closely on the Dexter web site you will find this postings:

Dexter says their 12" brakes: "When loaded to capacity, you may not be able to lock your brakes as electric brakes are designed to slow the trailer at a controlled rate, and not designed to lock up the wheels on a fully loaded trailer. Our brakes are designed to meet all applicable safety standards."

The Dexter story is, years ago people kept complaining to Dexter that the 12" brakes would lock up and create flat spots on their tires. Dexter got tired of having the same argument with trailer owners so they made the magnets smaller so they won't lock up the brakes.

I ordered a different brand brake assembly on Amazon and the moment I opened the box I could see the difference, the magnets are almost twice the size! You still have to burnish in the new brakes according to the video you mentioned. I installed these new brakes in Oct 2022 and after 4,000 miles of driving they are starting to feel much better. I tried measuring the voltage, current, and even tried using a compass to measure the magnetic field of the magnets. My first suggestion is to get rid of the Dexter 12" brakes.

I ordered these on amazon for $237: "Southwest Wheel 2-Pack 12" X 2" TruRyde Self-Adjusting Electric Brakes with Hardware (2 Right Hand + 2 Left Hand) "

Best of luck,
    Dustin
    Dustin and Doris

2018 2600RB
    2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast