Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leveling system

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Hitch height works for me IF.
    I have not touched the keypad after it auto levels AND, the load in my truck has not changed. This rarely happens. But it is a good starting point
    This is exactly how mine worked in the beginning except that now the rear 4 jacks do not fully retract before the nose goes up or when I press retract all. It's never consistent and I do believe it is temperature related. Sometimes they work as they should, other times anywhere from 1-4 jacks will not fully retract including the fronts after I'm hitched and I press retract all. I've had to push the button as many as 5 times each time getting an inch closer to retract on one jack or another.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ajg617
    I'm going to have to agree with Hoopy. Being very inconsistent seems very much like contaminated hydraulic fluid. Contaminated fluid can cause solenoids to sometimes stick, sometimes on, sometimes off. Sometimes half way in between and then something really screwy happens. Different solenoids on different days. Also low oil level can cause surprising operation. I would check the oil condition or have it checked. I would say drain and purge the lines and refill, but your rig is a 2022 - warranty?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    @ajg617
    I'm going to have to agree with Hoopy. Being very inconsistent seems very much like contaminated hydraulic fluid. Contaminated fluid can cause solenoids to sometimes stick, sometimes on, sometimes off. Sometimes half way in between and then something really screwy happens. Different solenoids on different days. Also low oil level can cause surprising operation. I would check the oil condition or have it checked. I would say drain and purge the lines and refill, but your rig is a 2022 - warranty?
    I had contacted Grand Design in Feb and they thought it was an electrical issue - low voltage which IMHO was not. According to the BMV, it was pulling 57 amps on jack retraction (35 bringing the main slides in), but they want it measured with a meter so I owe them that.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy enough to parallel another battery with jumper cables just to prove out their suggestion.
    The hydraulic pump does draw big amp numbers
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measured today - Temperature was 55F today and all readings were performed with initial battery charge of 14.2V, RV leveled, and using a clamp meter over the cable directly feeding the hydraulic motor and 110V disconnected the entire time. I pushed the hitch height button and clamp meter read as high as 78.9Amps. All 4 rear jacks retracted (which they were not doing in February) and the front jacks started to raise the nose (that is when I read the highest amperage which is very close to the 80amp circuit breaker which did not trip). I then pressed auto level and meter read 62 amps and the front jacks started to lower the nose followed by rear jacks lowering and amperage increasing to 68. I interrupted the auto level as the rear jacks were starting to deploy and pressed hitch height which read 57 amps (as my February readings did) with only the two front jacks raising the nose again. Battery voltage after three separate attempts was 13.52V.

Bottom line, at today’s temperature, everything worked but the draw was initially very high – close to circuit breaker max. As I re-leveled and raised to hitch height additional times the amperage draw seemed to settle between 57-68 Amps.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From day one, I always manually retract the rear jacks first, then activate hitch height to raise the front. I've never had an issue doing it this way. Seems I never really understood the hitch height function correctly.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    From day one, I always manually retract the rear jacks first, then activate hitch height to raise the front. I've never had an issue doing it this way. Seems I never really understood the hitch height function correctly.
    How do you do that? The only way I can perform a manual retraction of the rear jacks is via the Compass Connect app (which often does not work) if I'm outside and watching or inside and using the panel which I don't like to do because I want eyes on.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you do that? The only way I can perform a manual retraction of the rear jacks is via the Compass Connect app
    Oh, maybe I have a different system. I don't have the Compass Connect feature. From the panel outside, I hit the "retract" button (red light illuminates), then hold the "rear" button. All 4 rear jacks then come up. That's just the way I've always known how to do it.

Then after the rear jacks are up, I hit the "left" and "right" buttons simultaneously to raise the front, close to hitch height.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leveler.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	46008
    Last edited by orbsah; 04-24-2023 at 06:55 PM.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Oh, maybe I have a different system. I don't have the Compass Connect feature. From the panel outside, I hit the "retract" button (red light illuminates), then hold the "rear" button. All 4 rear jacks then come up. That's just the way I've always known how to do it.

Then after the rear jacks are up, I hit the "left" and "right" buttons simultaneously to raise the front, close to hitch height.
    Mine looks nothing like that. Up/lower for the front jacks, auto level, hitch height, retract all. Really leaves a lot to be desired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LCI level control.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	46009
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine looks nothing like that.
    Oops, sorry, I didn't realize the panels are different now. I think I like my old one better. . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast