User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Samsung Residential Refrigerator Not Working While Towing?

Just returned from a great trip to Savanah Georgia. Stayed at Creekfire Resort. Highly recommend. Thanks to all who recommended it. Arriving home, we discovered that our Samsung residential refrigerator was off. Worked fine going to Savanah GA and during our week stay. I hooked camper up to shore power last night and this morning refrigerator is operating. I can only conclude that the inverter is not operating although the green led on inverter switch indicates it is on. Suggestions to solve why it is not operating? First does the inverter have a fuse and where would it be located? I cannot access the 110 volt plug that refrigerator is plugged into to check voltage. It's not reachable. The Georgia interstates were one bumpy ride. They definitely need to spend some tax money on their roads. Perhaps something has come loose. We have a 2020 Solitude 2930RL. If anyone has same model perhaps you could let me know where inverter is located and where to check fuse. How does the inverter tie in with the 110 volt supply to refrigerator? Leaving for another trip next week so hope I can get this resolved.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    2021 GMC Denali 3500HD Standard Bed
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the fridge works on shore power, the outlet is fine. Are the correct breakers for the fridge and inverter on? Any chance you disconnected battery with battery disconnect switch? Have you verified your battery is not depleted?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have heard of people finding the gfci on the inverter is tripped
    I have no idea but have you looked at the inverter?
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first impulse would be to check the Battery Disconnect Switch, and then the battery/ies voltage.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a different model Solitude with the same fridge so this might not apply. The inverter is on the ceiling of the battery compartment. Ours has two standard outlets. One outlet has a transfer switch plugged into it. The transfer switch, also on the ceiling next to the inverter, chooses between the inverter and shore power, with shore power having priority. The output of the transfer switch goes to a breaker for the fridge in a subpanel.

The first thing I would check is the second outlet on the inverter (use an outlet tester or, if you don’t have one, use a hair dryer on the lowest setting). If no power there, start checking upstream. There is a separate disconnect switch between the batteries and the inverter, on the ceiling by the inverter, but I doubt that would have switched off by itself. On mine, the other (general) battery disconnect switch does NOT connect or disconnect the inverter. Then, check the inverter on/off switch. Ours is on the front wall of the front pass-though storage. As others have suggested, check the battery voltage. The inverter has a low voltage cuttoff. There might also be a fuse in there someplace.

You know that the transfer switch is working because the fridge works on shore power, so it looks like everything downstream of the transfer switch is OK.

If you have a combo inverter/charger, your setup is different and none of this may apply.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've verified that the 12-volt power switch is turned on, I have 12.9 volts on my batteries, and the GFI is not tripped. However, the only GFI I can locate is in the bathroom. If there is a separate GFI for the inverter I don't know where it is located. The only things located on the ceiling in the forward hatch are the controllers for the Lippert electric jacks and the controller for the bedroom slide. The Samsung refrigerator manual has no information about operating on the inverter. Could the inverter possibly be inside the refrigerator? I hope not because it looks to be a bugger to get refrigerator removed from slide. IF it has a separate inverter, ideas of where to look for it? Again, the inverter switch shows the green led on, which supposedly indicates inverter is working. However, the refrigerator is not on. This Samsung refrigerator is Model RF18HFENBSR/US. Appreciate any advice or help solving this. Guess I will call Samsung Monday morning. The dealer we bought camper from has been bought out and now has terrible service reviews, so taking it there is not an option. Its a shame because the previous owner had a stellar sales and service reputation.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The inverter should be in the overhead of the very front storage bay (near the pin box). Did you manipulate any of the camper breakers when switching from shore power (did you verify all the correct breakers are shut for using the fridge and inverter)?
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might have missed this, but does the GFCI in the bathroom supply power when on batteries - no shore power hookup? Usually the GFCI circuit is also supplied by the inverter. If the GFCI works, the problem must be the fridge circuit. Do you have a “refrigerator” breaker in your panel? I assume it is not tripped. Can you pull the front panel on the breaker panel and check the refrigerator breaker contact with a volt meter? Be very careful here and maybe avoid doing this if you don’t have electricity experience.

If the bathroom GFCI doesn’t work, the problem probably is not the fridge. At least on my inverter, the outlet on the inverter itself is also a GFCI and may be tripped.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fam5mel View Post
    This Samsung refrigerator is Model RF18HFENBSR/US. Appreciate any advice or help solving this. Guess I will call Samsung Monday morning.
    I have the exact same refrigerator. It is a standard 120V AC only model just like in your house which plugs into a 120v AC outlet. No inverter inside or any special instructions for running on an inverter. If the fridge runs fine on shore power there is nothing wrong with the fridge and calling Samsung will be a dead end.

If the green inverter switch light is on, you are getting power to your inverter but the inverter could still be bad. I didn’t chatch whether or not the GFCI outlet in bathroom supplies power when the RV is disconnected from shore power. If it doesn’t, I’m betting the GFCI outlet on the inverter has tripped and resetting it will solve your problem, assuming you can find the sucker. I had that happen and spent a lot of time until I figured out there was another GFCI on the back of the inverter, that the transfer switch plugs into.

If the bathroom outlet does work with shore power disconnected, your inverter and transfer switch is OK and I give up.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've spent an aggravating morning searching for the inverter and have finally located it. The most unlikely and difficult place to locate it. It is located behind the pass thru curbside wall mounted to the floor up against the outside wall so that you cannot read the led display. To access it has to be unscrewed from the floor. I truly wish it had been mounted on the ceiling in the front hatch like others have mentioned. It is a WFCO 1000Watt Pure Sine Wave inverter, Model Number WF-5110R. There is no manual supplied with my Grand Design packet or mention of it in the Grand Design manual. When you push the remote inverter button the green led lights up and the fan on the inverter turns on. An amber light is displayed on the inverter. I see no led number readouts. Naturally no trouble shooting suggestions on the inverter cover. Guess I need to call the manufacturer tomorrow and do an internet search. I'm thinking the inverter is toast and probably expensive. I see no GFI receptacle on the inverter or near it. It plugs into a standard 110 volt outlet. Any suggestions or advice appreciated.
    2020 Solitude 2930RL
    B&W RVK3710 Hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast