User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT ROC View Post
    I am close to level, but I am off some. As for the twisting and torquing, the other two slides operate perfectly after I autolevel. Only the Livingroom slide has issues and always has since new. To be clear though, I have only done this in the carport, which is not very level side to side (the contractor is not someone who will ever be hired by me again, nor by anyone I know). I am going to see how this works in real life next month when we start the new season. The first site we will be on is a the same as last year, and close to level, but not quite, and the pitch is slightly different. If I find anything that is a problem I will report it back
    Lippert technical support might be able to give you additional items to check, if you are interested in getting to the bottom of the problem. They have been very helpful when I called or emailed them. I recommend asking who you are talking to or emailing as each time you are in contact, it maybe with a different person. They document the interaction with the customer so you do not have to explain everything each time.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another idea for this situation would be to use a hydraulic bottle jack at the hitch. Use the power tongue jack normally to get off of the truck and raise the tongue about as much as you are short. Then put the bottle jack under the hitch (where the ball would go) and raise the tongue a bit. Retract the power tongue jack, put the extra block under, and raise the tongue to level normally. Take the bottle jack out and stow it.

I had a similar problem, only in reverse. I put the normal block under the tongue jack, got the truck unhooked and out of the way, then tried to level. I couldn't get the tongue down far enough, so I had to raise it up with the bottle jack, put in a shorter block, and then level.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Another idea for this situation would be to use a hydraulic bottle jack at the hitch. Use the power tongue jack normally to get off of the truck and raise the tongue about as much as you are short. Then put the bottle jack under the hitch (where the ball would go) and raise the tongue a bit. Retract the power tongue jack, put the extra block under, and raise the tongue to level normally. Take the bottle jack out and stow it.

I had a similar problem, only in reverse. I put the normal block under the tongue jack, got the truck unhooked and out of the way, then tried to level. I couldn't get the tongue down far enough, so I had to raise it up with the bottle jack, put in a shorter block, and then level.
    OP here. Yeah I have a couple of axle stands I could use just behind the hitch on the tongue to do the same thing and I think I will as I don't want any trouble from my slides as I've been reading about how finnicky they can be.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 7.3 XLT Crew Cab

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
    OP here. Yeah I have a couple of axle stands I could use just behind the hitch on the tongue to do the same thing and I think I will as I don't want any trouble from my slides as I've been reading about how finnicky they can be.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Why wouldn’t you just use the front stabilizers???

It is all I do when I need the tongue higher than the power jack will go

They will easily hold the trailer while you retract the power jack to put more block under it.
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NB Canada View Post
    Why wouldn’t you just use the front stabilizers???

It is all I do when I need the tongue higher than the power jack will go

They will easily hold the trailer while you retract the power jack to put more block under it.
    Are you talking about stabilizers that operate with a larrge screw?I once found the limit of one, when it just got turned into a hunk of twisted metal, doing just what you stated. Nobody got hurt, other than my wallet.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using slide-outs when unlevel

Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Are you talking about stabilizers that operate with a larrge screw?I once found the limit of one, when it just got turned into a hunk of twisted metal, doing just what you stated. Nobody got hurt, other than my wallet.
    Would never happen if you were just resting the trailer on them while you reblock the power jack
    I have done it many times
    It literally is for less than a minute

Likely your trailer shifted causing the failure
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would never happen if you were just resting the trailer on them while you reblock the power jack

Sound like your calling him a liar. Just because it has not happened to you does not mean it can not happen. Please remember just because you think you know everything does not mean you do.
    Last edited by robmcqueen; 05-12-2023 at 07:48 AM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you think I dreamed it up?
    I did it on my second TT for ten years without incident. I continued this practice for several more years with my third , heavier TT. Then one day it happened. Was I loaded heavier Or was it just its time? I dunno....And you betcha the TT shifted when it failed
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never use the stabilizers to hold up the full weight of the trailer so if I need to, I'll use the axle stands.
    2023 Grand Design Imagine 2970RL
    2023 F-350 7.3 XLT Crew Cab

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just FWIW, I'm not an advocate of running slides out when not level, but I do it when the trailer is here at the house. Usually out of level front to back, right now it's out about 2.5°. We've been doing this for the last 10-15 years and never had any issues with the slides, but they are the hydraulic, not the Schwinteck. With the Schwinteck I might second guess myself. This is not a recommendation, just a note that it won't lead to immediate disintegration of your trailer...probably.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast