User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of reads and some likes for my post, I just try to help others. If adding anything to the conversation, when you take the old filter off check to make sure the large O-ring is still on the filter and not stuck up inside the transmission. Good idea to check the new filter to be sure it has a new O-ring on it. The O-ring is on the snout that fits up inside the transmission valve body. Also refilling with fluid, take it slow adding fluid a little bit at a time and start checking the dip stick at about 9 quarts. Just start it up a few times, let it idle in Park, wait for the check engine light to go off, and check the stick to see if the level is at least in the cold range. You don't want to overfill it. If your doing just a fluid change and NO filter, it could take around 8 quarts.

After I changed the fluid / filter expect the check engine light to stay on. I restarted the truck about 5 times, each time letting it run a few seconds, before the light went out, I DID NOT shift the truck out of park until the light went out. Some that have done this service said when they shifted the truck out of park before the light went off they got a big bang or thud when they shifted it out of park. I did not experience this letting the light go out before I shifted out of park.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to your youtube channel but didnt find a video on this procedure. we also have a youtube channel and i am thinking of doing this and making a video about it.

Do you have a video about it?
    What video did you use as a guide?
    Would you do it again?
    Anything you would do different the next time you do the service.
    Where did you source your mopar filter and other parts necessary.
    What are the part numbers of the filters and gaskets.
    What brand of gasket tack did you use?

I know this is a lot of stuff to ask, but it sounds like you know what you are doing and had a good experience with this project.
    We often get extensive questions like this on our youtube channel and sometimes it annoys us so i understand if you dont have the time to respond.

We are from florida and are travellling in Utah right now so it will be difficult to do this in an RV park but i think I can do it.

I just did a complete brakes, bearings and tire replacement myself on my GD solitude, so i think can handle this.

I just cant see handing over $800 bucks or so to a dealer if I can do it myself for less than half of that.

Thanks for this post and your reply.

Larry
    Larry and Alice
    GD solitude 310GK (2017) - Ram 3500 crew cab long bed dually
    Full timers from Gainesville, FL

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Downsizingmakescents -

Check your private messages.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    The dealer service prices in my area are nuts - seems that's the only profit they are making with no inventory to sell.

Thanks for bringing this subject up - read through the maintenance schedule and this one slipped right by me - surprised at the low mileage for a change and high mileage (at least for me) for an oil change. I'll price around.
    I had a dealer tell me that they sell cars at cost so they can make their profits from maintenance (Plus kickback from the sales quota).
    Ken & Tammy
    Union Valley, TX
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2019 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, one of the first things I did after we bought our 2018 Ram last year was change the motor oil and filter, air filter, fuel filters, differential fluid, and the Aisin transmission fluid and filter. May not have been necessary, strictly speaking, but now I know everything is fresh and minty clean. I can't imagine what it would have cost me to have it all done.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im overdue, i should have replaced the fluid at 30k miles, im at 70k now so i am doing the fluid and filter change, i am thinking of doing it myself which would be easy but we are traveling in Utah right now and the parks we are going do not allow things like oil changes. The good thing is i called the local ram dealer in Utah and the trans service with filter is $400, i called my dealer back home in florida and its $650 for the same service. Even though i could do it myself for about $200 i think im going with the dealer because i want to get it done asap, and it may be a while before i can find a place to do it myself. I really wish there were more self service garages around. Larry
    Larry and Alice
    GD solitude 310GK (2017) - Ram 3500 crew cab long bed dually
    Full timers from Gainesville, FL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing the transmission fluid is a bit of a mess, just about like any transmission service. However the Aisin does have a drain plug which helps. But there's also a bit of a gush of fluid when the filter comes off. I think I did mine for less than $100, as long as you don't buy the Mopar Aisin transmission fluid.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downsizingmakescents View Post
    snip

We are from florida and are travellling in Utah right now so it will be difficult to do this in an RV park but i think I can do it.

I just did a complete brakes, bearings and tire replacement myself on my GD solitude, so i think can handle this.

I just cant see handing over $800 bucks or so to a dealer if I can do it myself for less than half of that.

Thanks for this post and your reply.

Larry
    Sorry for the late response I have been preoccupied. This thread is two years old or so. At that time I recall there were several YouTubes on changing the AISIN filter. A simple search will find them. It's really not rocket science but there are a few bolts that are a little hard to get at next to the crossover frame but using a swivel socket or universal its not too bad.

The Mopar AISIN filter part number is 6822 4232AA. The Mopar gasket is 6821 4914AA at least for our 2018 Ram, and again a simple search will find Ram dealerships that sell parts online usually through Amazon or the like. I probably used a little Indian Head gasket tac to hold the gasket in place while reinstalling the pan, I don't remember.

This probably isn't something you want to do at a campground, its messy, the pan drain plug helps, and there is about 10 quarts of fluid that has to drain out, (deep drain pan) especially when you pull the filter and a gush of fluid comes out. Then you have to clean the pan and keep dirt out of it and trans while you're doing it. Then you have to capture the fluid and recycle it somewhere. Most campgrounds don't want you doing this kind of thing and have rules against it. Changing bushings and greasing wheel bearings on RV suspensions in a campground that allows it is one thing, but changing fluids - no.

Sure I would do it again myself, in fact we are getting close (85621) to the 90K mile AISIN fluid change, if I had a place to do it, but not in a campground. I'll wait till we get back to where our kids live and use there garage to change the fluid with Mobile 3309. Probably do the two fuel filters (CP3 pump) and oil filter at the same time, if the mileage is a little over or under, its not critical to do it at the exact time, truth be known I think these fluids can go a lot longer than they say they can. I always use Ram oil, fuel and trans filters, I don't trust aftermarket. I just order them and Mobil 3309 through Amazon from Ram dealers and have them shipped to our Son or S-I-L and there waiting for us when we get there.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 06-02-2023 at 09:54 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Downsizingmakescents View Post
    Im overdue, i should have replaced the fluid at 30k miles, im at 70k now so i am doing the fluid and filter change, i am thinking of doing it myself which would be easy but we are traveling in Utah right now and the parks we are going do not allow things like oil changes. The good thing is i called the local ram dealer in Utah and the trans service with filter is $400, i called my dealer back home in florida and its $650 for the same service. Even though i could do it myself for about $200 i think im going with the dealer because i want to get it done asap, and it may be a while before i can find a place to do it myself. I really wish there were more self service garages around. Larry
    Heck $400 is cheap for the AISIN filter and fluid compared to other Ram dealers that want to soak the owner, I would pay that! That's about $200 and 1 hours labor which is reasonable these days.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My local dealers both quoted $1000 for the fluid/filter change. Because I was going to be leaving on a trip within a week or two, I begrudgingly paid it. I didn't want to take the chance of something getting messed up by me on the trip.

Interestingly, one dealer told me there is no requirement to change fluid at 30K miles. I know/knew better and challenged him. He was adamant. I don't use that dealer for anything.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast