User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonSr. View Post
    Did you happen to stay at Walnut Hills Campground for your VA stop (without the tailgate)?
    Why, are they having problems there? We stay there on occasion.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now use a Goosebox, but when I had my old hitch, I painted the jaws white so I could clearly see them. Of course, paint just the side of the jaws and repaint as needed. I used an Anderson for a while and didn't close the jaw on time, I painted the handle area bright red so I could clearly see if it were open. With the Goosebox, I close the jaw first and set the trailer down onto the ball. You can watch the lock open and the close with a big pop when seated. I am so glad you and the trailer are ok. Safe travels to you!!
    2016 29RS
    2008 2500 Chevy Duramax Diesel CC LTZ
    Prev 5er 2010 Outback 321FRL
    1994 Chevy 6.5TD 2500 ext Cab
    25ft Coachman Catalina TT
    Skamper Pop UP
    Various tents
    ALL great memories:D

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lfytsmith View Post
    I now use a Goosebox, but when I had my old hitch, I painted the jaws white so I could clearly see them. Of course, paint just the side of the jaws and repaint as needed. I used an Anderson for a while and didn't close the jaw on time, I painted the handle area bright red so I could clearly see if it were open. With the Goosebox, I close the jaw first and set the trailer down onto the ball. You can watch the lock open and the close with a big pop when seated. I am so glad you and the trailer are ok. Safe travels to you!!
    Same here, I will never have another fifth wheel hitch.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lfytsmith View Post
    With the Goosebox, I close the jaw first and set the trailer down onto the ball. You can watch the lock open and the close with a big pop when seated.
    Learned that quickly - leave it locked and watch it open and close. As an aside, found it interesting that the dealer asked me to hang around a bit to move the trailer if needed - new person didn't know how to move one with a Gossebox
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Why, are they having problems there? We stay there on occasion.
    Nothing wrong! We were there recently which would have been the same time frame as the OP (if they had stayed there). We saw a newish Solitude arrive pulled by a pickup missing a tailgate and some left rear QP damage. Ironically, we had a conversation about it (saw it while walking the dogs) that the damage appeared new. If it wasn’t the OP, it’s certainly a strange coincidence!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    It reached that point along time ago. My father who owned a 5th wheel for 17 years warned me about this when I bought my first 5th wheel in 2017. "Always check your safety pin"
    I used to drive a truck many years ago and believe it or not, this was a common occurance at truck stops.As most trucks back in to park for the night or whatever, This usually takes the pressure off of the latch assy allowing the hitch to be easily unlocked so all a crimanal had to do was just reach over and pull the handle and boom you have an uncoupled trailer. The unsuspecting driver later goes to pull away and if he's lucky, the trailer drops right there but most of the time it happens while pulling out of the truck stop. luckily, it very seldom ever gets to the interstate. I made it a habit to ALWAYS pull the trailer brake valve and bump the pin in reverse to ensure my hitch was locked. Just to verify, semi's don't have safety pins, just the latch handle itself, or at least they didn't back then. This has taught me to always look at my hitch and pins every time I came back to my vehicle before climbing back in. Glad it wasn't any worse for the OP.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going on the side of "not". IMO these are stories that get passed along, and they always happened to my buddy's best friend's barber's son-in-law' nephew's cousin, once removed.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sue, it sounds like your hubby and you are doing all the right things when hooking up. Plates at right height, visual check, tug test, break-away switch must have been hooked up or the trailer would have just kept rolling instead of stopping. You obviously experienced every 5th wheel drivers worst nightmare. Glad everybody was okay and that it was still a salvageable trip. I have the B&W hitch and it seems that they have put a lot of thought into making them as easy as possible to use and yet you hear of people dropping their 5er on the rails of their truck when starting out. To make it 2 1/2 hours down the road before something happened is amazing. If there is no visible damage to the jaws, the hitch, or the king pin you may just have to chalk it up to gremlins finally caught up with you. From your description on your original post I would just keep doing things the same way and maybe some day an idea will click on what may have happened.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Sue, it sounds like your hubby and you are doing all the right things when hooking up. Plates at right height, visual check, tug test, break-away switch must have been hooked up or the trailer would have just kept rolling instead of stopping. You obviously experienced every 5th wheel drivers worst nightmare. Glad everybody was okay and that it was still a salvageable trip. I have the B&W hitch and it seems that they have put a lot of thought into making them as easy as possible to use and yet you hear of people dropping their 5er on the rails of their truck when starting out. To make it 2 1/2 hours down the road before something happened is amazing. If there is no visible damage to the jaws, the hitch, or the king pin you may just have to chalk it up to gremlins finally caught up with you. From your description on your original post I would just keep doing things the same way and maybe some day an idea will click on what may have happened.
    No, actually you don't hear of people dropping their trailer on the rails with a B&W hitch. If the hitch is latched properly it won't, can't, come loose. I cannot remember anyone ever saying they dropped their trailer if they have a B&W hitch, not counting the two occurrences just recently. And that would be over the last 20 years or so. The only other time was a guy who pinned his handle open and it didn't stay put when he pulled forward. User error.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    No, actually you don't hear of people dropping their trailer on the rails with a B&W hitch. If the hitch is latched properly it won't, can't, come loose. I cannot remember anyone ever saying they dropped their trailer if they have a B&W hitch, not counting the two occurrences just recently. And that would be over the last 20 years or so. The only other time was a guy who pinned his handle open and it didn't stay put when he pulled forward. User error.
    I will agree with you on your points Howard. You are correct in that if it is latched properly it won't, can't, come loose and that if is does it is user error. But I think most manufacturers would say that if used correctly their hitch can't come loose either and if they can't say that then I think the lawsuits would mount up quickly and they would not be around for long. I am really glad that I have the B&W hitch and have not seen anything that I would trade it for. We all make those type of mistakes were we got distracted or the "what was I thinking" moments. And then there are times that we just shake our head and wonder what the heck happened. Also, I don't think I would be advertising it too loudly if I dropped my trailer on my bed rails because I would know that it was something I probably did wrong. Who needs that kind of ribbing from your buddies? lol.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast