User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The experts advise against using dishwashing detergents as they tend to strip the wax. A car wash liquid intended for the purpose is best - or Wash Wax All like many of the old-timers/full-timers use.

Rob
    Now he's calling us OLD TIMERS! [emoji1787]

+1 for Wash Wax All.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Now he's calling us OLD TIMERS! [emoji1787]

+1 for Wash Wax All.
    Since I have about 20 years on you, you may not be included in that generalization - but you'll get there one day.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Do what the pros do. Get a water deionizer and rinse the rig with that water. No drying needed, and no water spots.
    Thanks dog, I'm getting one of those. You have good ideas every now and then....
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought a Simple Chuck deionizer, and a cheap 2000PSI washer just for the RV, though we like it so much we are now washing the vehicles with it. You can wash with tap water, do not let it dry. Rinse with the deionized water and watch the water dry without leaving spots. No drying. It is like magic.The total setup with telescoping handles, sheep wool pads etc was about 700.00. It can be done cheaper, but this setup lets DW and myself do a profesional job in 45 minutes. It will pay off pretty fast.
    Sorry, but for $700 I can live with water spots. $700 will buy a fair amount of fuel to travel with.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Sorry, but for $700 I can live with water spots. $700 will buy a fair amount of fuel to travel with.
    Thats a BINGO!

Not only can I live with them.. but what does one do while camping during a rain storm? Michigan, Coloado, etc comes to mind.... where every day we got rain..
    Last edited by trailrydr; 06-05-2023 at 09:23 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    If you had to deal with the hard water we have here in Phoenix, you would see it differently. Many a paint job has been ruined by our hard water. I have to triple the amount of soap in the dishwasher to prevent the hard water damaging it.

700.00 is cheap considering the Full body paint was 12,000.00
    A full wash and wax of our rig runs over 400.00 after two washes that 700.00 was made up.It is all relative though. We deal with hard water and sunshine. You deal with snow and rust. Every place has it problems.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Thats a BINGO!

Not only can I live with them.. but what does one do while camping during a rain storm? Michigan, Coloado, etc comes to mind.... where every day we got rain..
    Rain is SOFT water. In fact some pros harvest it to use in their RV detailing businesses.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does Grand Design do reconditioning of its 5th wheelers. I have a 2015 320 that I would like to have the outside back to new

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rain is SOFT water. In fact some pros harvest it to use in their RV detailing businesses.
    We use a softener on our MO city water which is considered hard and still use a chamois on vehicles to ensure soap residue isnt left on the surface afterward. The purpose for our softener however isnt for finish but more for soap use and appliance life.

However, all of our vehicles when rained on (or boats used in our lake) get streaks/spots from chemical or dirt deposits in the air or water. Farm run off, factories, large city polution leave lots of opportunity for streaks/spots when driving thru, camping or boating in those areas. Baked in bird droppings and bug residue can require some extended removal techniques as well. In some cases requiring paint cleaners and/or polishing compound to remove.

One has to determine how important the paint finish is on a daily driver or extended outdoor used vehicle. Otherwise in our experience and areas of past use, the only other alternative is park it under shelter or towel it off after getting rain on it. That kinda makes it too high maintenance IMO to enjoy.

High quality polish use and occassional washing keeps our daily and/or extended outdoor used vehicles finish exceptable in our hard rain/lake water state and surrounding areas.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crewdog135 View Post
    Thank you all for the advice! I was being over cautious new rig and all. Used a mild Dawn soap solution and washed on the shaded side to knock off the road dust and black streaks...worked fine. She will get a proper wash and wax when the opportunity arrives.
    Again thank you all.

KevNol
    As others mention, okay to wash in sun but that black front bakes the water spots on instantly in the sun. But what's a guy to do? I've actually taken to leaving my LDE hooked up when coming back from a trip (on occasions that I want to wash it) so that the next day I can wash the shaded sides first, then swing it around the other direction to wash the other sides now shaded. Putting the awning out allows you to shade that side too for washing. It's a bit of a pain but it really helps reduce the spots. A bit of shading allows it to be quickly wiped down with a towel before it dries on, but I'll admit I mainly focus on the windows for removing spots.

Dish soap really is almost the worst thing to use as it strips the wax. And then without the wax, the spots are worse and harder to remove. So, I'd give it some wax (even if it's just the spray on/wipe off kind), then start using a vehicle wash that has wax in it. It will help make the spots easier to manage. Or, go with the spendy options like some have for deionized water. I did install a spigot so that I can use soft water for washing and that does also help.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast