User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Bumper Supprt Brackets (Safety Struts)

I added the ''Safety Strut Support Bracts'' to the rear of my 2600RB bumper. I had to drill holes thru the frame to enable the bolting of these brackets. I went above and beyond the instl directions, bought and used thru bolts all the way thru which I felt was better and stronger instl. They fit up nice and according to the manufacturer, they are suppose to add 400 lbs of cargo carrying capacity to the bumber ?? Now with that said, I do not intend to go anywhere close to that capacity. I am going to install a dual hitch steel cargo carrier that weighs approx 60 lbs. I then will carry my 55lb Honda Gen set, two five gallon cans of fuel and small misc stuff that I estimate will not exceed 200lbs at most.

I thought I would post this for others who may be wondering how to stiffen up there bumper,,,

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also added support brackets to the bumper on our 2600 RB. Then added a small Curt cargo carrier which I think weighs around 40 lbs. I also raised the spare tire carrier to get the tire above the side side rails of the cargo carrier. I then added a small brace to mitigate any wobble of the Curt carrier. I have a 62 lb Generac that I made a mounting bracket for that will go inside the cargo carrier along with a 2 1/2 gallon gas can. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	33551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	33552
    Last edited by jleonard; 04-21-2021 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added photo
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    I also added support brackets to the bumper on our 2600 RB. Then added a small Curt cargo carrier which I think weighs around 40 lbs. I also raised the spare tire carrier to get the tire above the side side rails of the cargo carrier. I then added a small brace to mitigate any wobble of the Curt carrier. I have a 62 lb Generac that I made a mounting bracket for that will go inside the cargo carrier along with a 2 1/2 gallon gas can. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2212.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	33551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2214.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	33552
    Good idea on the tire, I’ll prolly do similar. My Aluminum Ultra Tow cargo carrier is on order. Rated for 500 LBS but it will only carry about 200 lbs at the max. My Honda 2200 Gen Set, two 5 ga cans of fuel and a portable fold-away ladder.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I moved the spare to under the frame and carried my Honda 2000 on the bumper in its place.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I used on a 2800bh. Quick Products QP-SBSBU Standard RV Bumper Support Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081BM1CS2...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymurgist View Post
    This is what I used on a 2800bh. Quick Products QP-SBSBU Standard RV Bumper Support Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081BM1CS2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Those are what I used as well.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are these brackets approved by Lippert to increase load capacity of the bumper?

I've been interested in these and was looking at the SafetyStruts brand website and they refer to pound-feet of capacity not straight pounds. It's all about how far away from the bumper the weight is being carried. They have a good explanation of this here https://mount-n-lock.com/pound-feet

It seems the Amazon knock-off parts are misleading when they say 400 lbs capacity. Do some measurements and calculations and be conservative!
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    L]

It seems the Amazon knock-off parts are misleading when they say 400 lbs capacity. Do some measurements and calculations and be conservative!
    I think if you re read our posts you'll see that we are both being very conservative on how much weight we are expecting the bumper to support.
    I know in my case I will not be exceeding the original weight limit per GD. So the brackets, approved or not, are only backups.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    I think if you re read our posts you'll see that we are both being very conservative on how much weight we are expecting the bumper to support.
    I know in my case I will not be exceeding the original weight limit per GD. So the brackets, approved or not, are only backups.
    Just wanted to point out for everyone else reading this thread that these brackets likely do not increase the load capacity of the tube bumper to 400 lbs as indicated in the description in the link to the Amazon product. The link about pound-feet is a good read and explains why bumpers get ripped off with relatively light loads.

What is GD's weight spec on these bumpers, I couldn't find it anywhere?
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2018 Titan CC 4x4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ACDogs View Post
    Just wanted to point out for everyone else reading this thread that these brackets likely do not increase the load capacity of the tube bumper to 400 lbs as indicated in the description in the link to the Amazon product. The link about pound-feet is a good read and explains why bumpers get ripped off with relatively light loads.

What is GD's weight spec on these bumpers, I couldn't find it anywhere?
    The manual says zero, but "urban legend" says 300 lbs.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast