User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deader than dead battery

Just went out to the storage to pick up some stuff from my 4 month old 2021 Reflection 31MB and was surprised to find I had a dead battery. I stored it about 10 days ago with a fully charged battery. The 12v kill switch key was off and removed so I didn't leave anything on that I'm aware of. I think the only thing that stays hot with the kill switch off is the leveling system and the smoke/CM detector....right?
    I recharged it and will check it again in a few days. Anything else obvious I should check?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 to 4 days will kill the battery. Best to disconnect the battery.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    2021 GD Reflection 303rls
    2019 ram 2500 Crew Cab tradesman 4x4
    Autoslider 5th wheel hitch.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    Just went out to the storage to pick up some stuff from my 4 month old 2021 Reflection 31MB and was surprised to find I had a dead battery. I stored it about 10 days ago with a fully charged battery. The 12v kill switch key was off and removed so I didn't leave anything on that I'm aware of. I think the only thing that stays hot with the kill switch off is the leveling system and the smoke/CM detector....right?
    I recharged it and will check it again in a few days. Anything else obvious I should check?
    Yes, no, maybe...... Some people have been surprised how much was after the battery disconnect that remains operational. It all depends on the person who made the connections on your rig, on that day.

It's best to disconnect (manually) one of the connections on the battery itself to insure nothing is draining it.

Hopefully, your battery can come back to life, draining them all the way down can damage them.

A good project for down time - remove the battery disconnect key and go around and check what's still getting juice. We're lucky, we have nothing connected with the kill switch out. Thanks to whoever set our rig up that way.
    Last edited by livinthelife; 05-08-2021 at 06:51 PM.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2021 303RLS had a bunch of stuff powered with the kill switch off, including the motion sensor lights in the basement. Drained my battery in <10 days. I went back and put a true disconnect switch on the ground side, so I can just turn the knob in the front storage just above the battery and completely disconnect it without having to unscrew the top off the battery box every time I park it in storage. Best $25 I’ve spent in a long while. I just hope I haven’t trashed my house battery, and it lasts until I can swap it out for a Lithium and solar setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that it drained in just a week. I guess I've been lucky for the last 4 months but I'm not taking any chances so I'm going to install a kill switch near the battery box.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SabreDriver View Post
    My 2021 303RLS had a bunch of stuff powered with the kill switch off, including the motion sensor lights in the basement. Drained my battery in <10 days. I went back and put a true disconnect switch on the ground side, so I can just turn the knob in the front storage just above the battery and completely disconnect it without having to unscrew the top off the battery box every time I park it in storage. Best $25 I’ve spent in a long while. I just hope I haven’t trashed my house battery, and it lasts until I can swap it out for a Lithium and solar setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's the same with my 2021 320MKS. I put the disconnect switch on the positive side of the batteries, in the battery compartment. It kills everything while in storage.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MoonShadow_1911;368412]That's the same with my 2021 320MKS. I put the disconnect switch on the positive side of the batteries, in the battery compartment. It kills everything while in storage.

Positive side of the battery? For some reason, I thought that is should be on the negative side....or does it really matter>

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I have to store my rig at a storage facility, I remove my battery and take it home for fear of theft. Inconvenient, but it works for me.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=1carguy;368420]
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    That's the same with my 2021 320MKS. I put the disconnect switch on the positive side of the batteries, in the battery compartment. It kills everything while in storage.

Positive side of the battery? For some reason, I thought that is should be on the negative side....or does it really matter&gt;
    Positive was easier for me. When working on electrical, I DO remove the negative cable from the batteries, just in case my buffoon hands drop a wrench or something on the batteries, or on a positive feed line to ground (been there, done that; don't EVER want to do it again).

Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 05-09-2021 at 07:49 AM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MoonShadow_1911;368424]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    Positive was easier for me. When working on electrical, I DO remove the negative cable from the batteries, just in case my buffoon hands drop a wrench or something on the batteries, or on a positive feed line to ground (been there, done that; don't EVER want to do it again).

Same here. Positive side was easier so that’s where I installed the new cut off switch. It really doesn’t matter which cable you connect to.

When messing with battery cables it’s good practice to remove the negative first and when reinstalling cables I connect the negative last. That way when you have a wrench on the positive cable and accidentally having it touch any part of the vehicle it won’t weld the wrench to the frame.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast