User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling All Engineers...

I could use a little help on a couple of projects I'm interested in. The main outcome is to feed fuel (gasoline or LP) to a pair of Honda EU generators I have. I recently added a MorRyde slider to my empty-from-the-factory generator box.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4285.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	34819

I have an EU2000 and a EU2200 paired. Certain serial numbers from the 2K series would pair to the 2200, and I got lucky. That said, the EU2200 was converted to accept both gasoline and LP using a Hutch Mountain kit (love it). So...

I'm thinking about 2 approaches:
    - connect the two generators to the onboard fuel tank
    - convert the EU2000 to LP as well and then connect both to the onboard LP bottle system. We have (2) 30lbs tanks onboard.

I'm not sure how to go about connecting either, but given that I need to boon-dock a bout 1/4 of my camping trips, I'd like to sort this. My preference would be to go to LP for the long run rate of the generators - 7 hours on 1 gal of gasoline vs 21 hours on a 20Lb LP bottle. BUT...I use the LP for water heaters, fridge, furnance etc. so seems like an easier path to plumb to the gasoline tank (???).

Anyways, as always, love to get the feedback (along with the "don't do that dumb-**********)...
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure why my pics always come in rotated 90 degrees???
    CJ & Jo
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjohnson View Post
    I could use a little help on a couple of projects I'm interested in. The main outcome is to feed fuel (gasoline or LP) to a pair of Honda EU generators I have. I recently added a MorRyde slider to my empty-from-the-factory generator box.

I have an EU2000 and a EU2200 paired. Certain serial numbers from the 2K series would pair to the 2200, and I got lucky. That said, the EU2200 was converted to accept both gasoline and LP using a Hutch Mountain kit (love it). So...

- convert the EU2000 to LP as well and then connect both to the onboard LP bottle system. We have (2) 30lbs tanks onboard.

I'm not sure how to go about connecting either, but given that I need to boon-dock a bout 1/4 of my camping trips, I'd like to sort this. My preference would be to go to LP for the long run rate of the generators - 7 hours on 1 gal of gasoline vs 21 hours on a 20Lb LP bottle. BUT...I use the LP for water heaters, fridge, furnance etc. so seems like an easier path to plumb to the gasoline tank (???).

Anyways, as always, love to get the feedback (along with the "don't do that dumb-**********)...
    Connecting them up to onboard propane shouldn't be a big issue. Just need the appropriate tees and hoses. If you have an outboard propane connector on your trailer already, I would first connect a direct hose to that and see if the onboard regulator is allowing sufficient flow for the generator(s). Because you don't want to connect a regulator to a regulated line as that will not have enough flow/pressure. Then, make sure you have them exhausted out of the compartment and away from the coach, even if you plan on sliding the shelf out and running them.

Also, keep in mind that generators will eat propane like it's going out of style. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure there are DOT regulations on using liquid fuel in this way...

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    If you have an outboard propane connector on your trailer already, I would first connect a direct hose to that and see if the onboard regulator is allowing sufficient flow for the generator(s).
    Nah, no external port...
    CJ & Jo

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah, no external port...
    Okay that makes it a little more "difficult". I would plumb in a tee, with a quick connect. That way you can also run a grill or fire pit, but I digress. There is a post here where someone did something very similar. If I can find it, I'll post a link.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big advantage of going propane is no carburator gumming. The downside is the high rate of propane consumption.... As you know, your RV is pretty much dead without propane when boondocking. I have found gasoline a lot eaiser to get as well. You mentioned plumbing to your tank? Is this a TH? If so that is what I would do.

Basically Propane makes sense for the "light" user. The more you use your generators, the more sense Gasoline makes.... Note: Gumming occurs when gas sits a long time.

I have never experienced it....But I am a heavy user.
    Last edited by huntindog; 06-08-2021 at 04:09 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, the 327M is a TH. I've not used the onboard fuel cell. irrational fear of gasoline odor in the coach per a number of the other owners. I'm happy to clean and maintain the gennies, so the gumming (if I understand your point) should be manageable. That said, it looks like fuel costs are about .50 per hour (Gas) vs$1 per hour for LP. So yeah, gasoline is cheaper (now...)
    CJ & Jo

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, the 327M is a TH. I've not used the onboard fuel cell. irrational fear of gasoline odor in the coach per a number of the other owners. I'm happy to clean and maintain the gennies, so the gumming (if I understand your point) should be manageable. That said, it looks like fuel costs are about .50 per hour (Gas) vs$1 per hour for LP. So yeah, gasoline is cheaper (now...)
    For me, availability is s bigger concern than cost. Gas is just about always easier to get.
    I have two 30 gallon tanks in my 398M. No odor.
    Last edited by huntindog; 06-08-2021 at 04:57 PM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the post on the propane line: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...611#post358611

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    Here is the post on the propane line: https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...611#post358611

I'll add this mod for sure - just because I'd like to have it for my blackstones, grills, etc. Thanks!
    CJ & Jo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast