User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What Generator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Yamaha 3000iSEB. Runs lights, A.C., TV, water pump. Need to turn off A.C. to run microwave or coffee maker. Great generator!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for good bang for your buck you may consider a Predator 3500W inverter generator from Harbor Freight. I know the mention of Harbor Freight makes some folks shutter but I own this unit and I'm very impressed with it. Bought it for $650 and its every bit as quiet as the Honda generators. My family owns 3 Honda 2,000W units and one Yamaha 3,000W unit. It's been a good unit so far.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After plenty of research we elected to go with the Champion 3500w inverter generator with electric and remote start (98 pounds) and less that $1,000.00 purchase price. Runs our AC and other accessories. Cannot run the AC and microwave together.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ended up getting a champion 3400 inverter generator and used it on our trip to the truck rodeo. Ran the whole camper including a / c and microwave at the same time. I also used it when I camped out by the shop I work at while I was finishing a big project and it ran camper then fine too. So far it's doing everything we need it to and we are very happy with it

2005 Dodge 3500 CC extra long bed dually diesel 6 speed
    2019 Grand Design 150 series Reflection 290BH
    Truck: 2005 Dodge 3500 diesel dually 6 speed crewcab with 9.5’ flatbed and 120g fuel capacity

Trailer: Sold - 2006 Fun Finder 240XXX (custom graphics)
    Current - 2019 GD 150 series Reflection 290BH

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We carry 2 Smarter Tool 2000watt generators with parallel cables. Very quite and runs the whole rig no problem Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5D34CF1-6B61-4541-BEE5-04A98AD0C20A.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	995.1 KB 
ID:	16927
    Steve and Connie Mitchell
    Lodi, California
    2020 Solitude S Class 2930RL
    2017 Ram 3500 Crew Cab SRW Cummins
    Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat top View Post
    We carry 2 Smarter Tool 2000 watt generators with parallel cables. Very quiet and runs the whole rig no problem Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C5D34CF1-6B61-4541-BEE5-04A98AD0C20A.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	995.1 KB 
ID:	16927
    You don’t run those while they’re in the compartment do you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I transport them in front compartment. Not looking to die from carbon monoxide.
    Lodi, California

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat top View Post
    No, I transport them in front compartment. Not looking to die from carbon monoxide.
    Haha good, just wanted to make sure you guys stayed safe!

Those use the Yamaha engine don't they?

Those are pretty nice from what I hear.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the Yamaha MZ80 engine. I bought them thru Amazon about 3 years ago. We had a Honda 3000eu, really liked it but was just heavy to lug in and out of the truck. We sold that and got these.
    Lodi, California

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I did a lot of reasearch on this before I bought what we could afford after buying a new 5th wheel...yikes!
    I would look at the units that have a total harmonic distortion (THD) of < 3%. This protects those sensitive electronics and boards that seem to be in various locations throughout the trailer. Generally, the larger the set the higher distortion those components will see. I had a 3500W open frame that was used only for hunting and it had a distortion rate >15% I used it on a 5th wheel that didn't have tv's, bluray's, micro boards etc so I didn't worry about it. It was used to charge the battery, run the lights, furnace and the coffee pot.

I purchased two champion 2000W stackable inverters and a parallel kit and have about $800 invested. (I also added an hour meter to each to help with my maintence) No, they are not as name brand as the others but have worked well. I've owned the open frame Champion for 12 yrs and have never had an issue in over 400 hrs running it. I've simply changed the oil, run stabil in the fuel and run it dry before putting it up for the season. These two inverters paralled together put out 4000w and I see about 59db out of it at 30 feet (the length of our shore cord) and don't plan to run them in a campground. When inside the camper I can just hear it. Even with most everything switched off, the battery charger kicks one of them out of eco mode. ( I only used one hunting this year) Eco mode is really quite but...it doesn't run much before the power draw kicks up the set. I have not used them paralleled together on this new 5th wheel yet and asked a question in another section about running my single 15K AC unit. When we reach a decent temp here something above 9 degrees I'll set them up and power up the 5th wheel and see how they do.

I know some are few db quieter but the 3-10 db difference wasn't enough to justify spending $1000-$1300 per unit for how we use them. Boondocking out away from people and while hunting and where we are there are usually no people for 10 miles or so...
    There are lots of devices to minimize the noise but I don't know that in a cg setting they would be cost effective or keep neighbors from being upset with you. Most places we've camped the units are within 10-20 feet of each other and that noise is going to erk someone and maybe that is where the cost per unit might be worth it.

I know it can be confusing especially when you read the info on each, some give you a straight up specs, others you have to ask more questions about the specs. I by no means am advocating for one brand over the other and have nothing bad to say about one or the other. Obviously, there are lots of choices out there and I think in the end it's about how you plan to use it and what you can afford. I started with one set, then purchased the second one a bit later.

Hope the information helps.

Sean

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast